- "Wyrm Hunt Quest"
"Goblins have seized the Stone of the Southwest. Reclaim this vital bulwark against the dragon."
Speak With the Captain
- Travel to the Stone of the Southwest and join the force sent to recapture the hold.
Open the Gate
- Infiltrate the fortress and lay open its main gate from within.
Rout the Goblins
- Assist the soldiers in the battle to reclaim the Stone.
Defeat the Goblin Chieftain
- Enter the fortress through the main gate and vanquish the goblin leader.
Report Your Victory
- Journey back to Ser Maximilian in Gran Soren and inform him that the campaign was a success.
- You gave a full account of the operation to Ser Maximilian. Quest reward received.
This quest is one of four that can be obtained from Ser Maximilian once the Arisen has received the Wyrm Hunt License from Ser Duncan upon exiting the Pawn Guild after the completion of Lure of the Abyss. The four Wyrm Hunt Quests are:
Once the Arisen has completed two of these quests, the third and fourth one become optional and the Arisen may start a new quest called Come to Court by choosing the "Hear the duke's directive" option when talking to Ser Maximilian.
WalkthroughEditThe quest is obtained by speaking with Ser Maximilian in the Noble Quarter and selecting "Rout a monster infestation" from his available quests. This quest requires the Arisen to travel to The Shadow Fort and defeat the Goblins that have overrun the fort.
There are a few ways to get to The Shadow Fort; however the most efficient way is to venture through The Ancient Quarry, which is a direct route to the outside region leading to The Shadow Fort. This walkthrough will assume this route is taken and that the Quarry has not been cleared yet.
Lower levels who have not ventured this far southwest, should prepare well as the upcoming battles can be quite challenging.
Speak with the CaptainEdit
In order to reach The Shadow Fort via The Ancient Quarry, exit Gran Soren through the southern entrance and then take the road north past the first archway. From there, take the path west leading through the Estan Plains.
Following the path leads the players to a fork in the road close to a Miner's Hut. The area here is filled with Goblins and at night is swarming with Undead. At the fork take the path south and players will end up at the northern entrance of the Quarry. The quest Of Merchants and Monsters can be started here via the NPC Alon, who is in trouble because the Quarry's entrance door is closed and the quarry is overrun by monsters. It is not required to complete this quest to advance, but it is highly recommended as it clears the mine of monsters permanently and opens Alon’s shop, which sells some high level equipment.
Once players have made it through the quarry, Pawns will mention a resting area not far from here and can be found by taking the southern road. This is not however on the path to the final destination. In order to reach The Shadow Fort, take the western road through the forest.
Note: To reach the fort alternatively take the Manamia Trail path southwest of The Encampment towards Vestad Hills. Stick to the north of the path leading west through the Verda Woodlands and players will eventually reach the resting area mentioned earlier. This is an alternative path, but it is by no means faster or easier.
Once players arrive at The Shadow Fort, seek out Ser Robert, who is in charge of the assault to re-take the Fort. He will explain the bulk of the mission, which involves the Arisen and their party to go into the fortress and open the gate so the main force can enter for a major assault on the forces inside.
Open the GateEdit
In order to infiltrate the fort, take the cavern opening down, slay 8 bats and travel to the end of it to reach the cellar of the left tower. Slay the 2 Goblins and 2 Hobgoblins waiting in the cellar and head upstairs to the top of the tower, ignoring the door on the first floor for now. At the top of the tower on the back wall will be an empty hole which requires a lever to open the main gate.
Optional: Jumping over the broken bridge to the other tower will grant access to a Ballista. Players who are fortunate enough may be able to take out one or two of the Ballistas on the other side of the courtyard. Be warned however, the opposing Ballistas fire accurately at stationary targets and can do quite a bit of damage. Once the Ballista has taken enough damage it will be destroyed. Bow-welding vocations can use Keen/Lyncean Sight or Comet Shot to shoot the goblins off the opposing Ballistas. Even if the Arisen doesn't destroy the two Ballistae on the opposite wall, destroying the single one here will mean the Arisen's party will not be pinned under cover fire between two opposing Ballistae positions.
- Disabling the Ballistas - A fairly reliable way to destroy the ballistas on the other end of the shadow fort is to clear the other tower roof next to the one next the one initially entered. This roof will have a ballista which can be mounted. Wait until the two opposing ballista fire (stand slightly to the side of the ballista so they fire away from it). Hop on the ballista while they reload and aim it towards them. Keep the mounted ballista set to fire regular bolts, as they reload much quicker. Wait for the opposing ballistas to fire once more and destroy their bolts by shooting them mid-air. Then, when it's clear, fire at the upper-middle of an opposing ballista, and eventually a few shots will hit the goblin mounted on the ballista. Two shots will kill a goblin operating it. Kill both of them and shoot down any more bolts being fired, then quickly switch to explosive bolts and blow up the ballista to ensure no one else will mount them, then the rest of the mission will be ballista-free. The Arisen's mounted ballista can take about 3-4 shots before it'll be destroyed, and keep in mind that each shot sustained will dismount the Arisen and inflict Burning.
Before heading down the tower, it is advisable to prepare for the chaos in the courtyard. The courtyard is filled with Goblins and are accompanied by two Cyclopes; twin Ballistas overlooking the courtyard will provide cover fire for the enemies (unless destroyed previously), making this fight incredibly difficult. The Ballistas will fire explosive spears coated in fire, capable of doing considerable damage and setting the Arisen and their party ablaze. It is advised to lure the Cyclopes behind a stone building or close to the curtain wall with the two Ballistae to avoid their fire.
Once the courtyard has been cleared of enemies make way to the ladder on the stone building in the courtyard. From the top of this building, jump down inside. Remember to also unlock the barred door to allow easy access into this area. Take the closed door down into the dungeons. Below will be some Goblins guarding a chest containing the Shadow Fort Lever.
Once the lever has been retrieved, travel back to the first tower and put the lever into place to open the Gate. A cutscene will trigger showing Ser Robert’s men storming the courtyard.
Rout the GoblinsEdit
In order to get the best outcome, assist Ser Robert and his men in fighting off the remaining Goblins that spawn here.
- Players who are having a difficult time keeping all of the soldiers alive can utilize Spring Water, which will heal the Arisen, their party, and all of Ser Robert’s men, as long as it is used in relatively close proximity to the Duke's men.
Once enough Goblins have been defeated, another cutscene will trigger and the door to the main castle will open.
- New Goblins spawn from the many small holes in the area in front of the main castle. Make sure they are defeated as well as they may get stuck when trying to exit the holes.
- If Ser Robert dies, the main castle doors will never open, even if you defeat all the enemies in the courtyard and disable the ballistas. All you can do is return to Gran Soren (see note under Report Your Victory below). If you come back to The Shadow Fort later, the goblins and cyclopes will be there again, but the castle doors will remain shut even if you defeat all the enemies another time.
Defeat the Goblin ChieftainEdit
Before entering the castle make sure Ser Robert and his men are safe and not engaging any enemies. Once no more enemies are present, the main force should be holding their ground with their shields raised. This will allow them to block any incoming ballista fire as well.
Enter the fortress through the main gate and take the stairs to the right. The stairs wind up towards the tower. Beware, though, at the top of the tower will be a third Cyclops, and this one is Armored. The rampart’s walkway is small and the Armored Cyclops can easily knock foes off the rampart, most likely causing death as the fall is quite high. Lightning-based attacks will aid considerably in this fight.
- Ranged vocations can shoot from inside the tower as the Cyclops will not be able to reach inside the tower.
Once the Cyclops has been taken care of, make sure to pick off any remaining Goblins and that the Ballistas are no longer under their control.
To reach the Goblin Chieftain, head down the stairs in the tower opposite of where the player came up. This is slightly confusing as the map indicator shows the Goblin Chieftain closer to the other tower. The left tower is, however, the only way to reach the chieftain. Once the player has reached the room, opening the doors will trigger a cutscene.
Once the player has regained control, battle the Chieftain and when he has taken enough damage he will flee through the window. It is possible to follow the chieftain and kill him before he escapes, but it is not required in order to successfully complete the quest. It is possible to jump out of the same window to pursue him. Follow him into the goblin tunnel that leads towards the Frontier Caverns. Once he takes a few steps into the caverns, he will trigger a cutscene and escape, ending the mission, so players will have to be quick to catch him. A single hit will suffice.
- Strong pawns can kill the Goblin Chieftain before he escapes, skipping the cut scene entirely.
- An alternative way of slaying the Goblin Chieftain without triggering the escape scene is to slay him outside his room. Open the door to his room without going in then lure him out by waiting outside. Defeating him anywhere outside his room instantly goes into his death sequence thus awarding the player the experience right away.
- It is also possible, although extremely rare, for a ballista bolt to kill the Chieftain in midair after he jumps out of the window. He will fall to the ground dead and the player will be awarded experience.
Whether or not the Chieftain was slain, the quest will update and a cutscene of victory in the courtyard will play. If Ser Robert survived the assault, speak to him--he will congratulate the Arisen and a reward will be offered.
Report Your VictoryEdit
Travel back to Gran Soren. If the player succeeded, Ser Maximilian will let the Arisen know what a great job was done and will reward the player.
If the assault ended with Ser Robert's death, Ser Maximilian will remark that, although it is a shame that the fortress was lost, the Arisen’s very presence and willingness to fight has boosted the morale of the army and the duke will appreciate the Arisen's efforts nonetheless.
After speaking with Ser Maximilian, the quest is complete. Players may select another Wyrm Hunt Quest if they are available or choose "Hear the duke's directive" to advance the story line.