- "Tomlin has come to Cassardis in search of his missing father. Like as not you will need to visit the capital for clues."
After completing Come to Court travel to Cassardis and find and speak with Tomlin. Tomlin tells that his father, Ansell, was a gardener for the Duke in Gran Soren and has disappeared. Tomlin will hand over a Gardener's Permit as a quest item.
Inquire Around Gran Soren (optional)
Seek out Tomlin's Father
- Note Ansell will not respond properly without the Gardener's Permit in hand.
Armed with the knowledge that Ansell is imprisoned in the Dungeon travel there and find the cell in which he is held. Ansell is in the far cell opposite the secret exit (the last cell on the left). Do not be concerned with the guards or Feste (the court jester), as they will not react to the prison break.
Use a Skeleton Key to open the door and speak with him. He will reveal the true reason for his captivity. Now help him escape.
Escort Ansell from the Dungeon
The cell opposite Ansell's contains the entrance to this passage. An audible wind will indicate the correct cell. Use a second Skeleton Key to open the door and proceed left down into the sewers. Ansell is extremely nervous and will not proceed if any foes are present - slay all the Rats, Spiders, and Snakes and make for the exit.
The quest will be completed and the rewards given when they both exit the city.
- In the Trials and Tribulations quest, Ansell can be escorted back to Gran Soren to testify against Fournival. He will be in or near Chief Adaro's home in Cassardis.
- Feste may be standing outside of Ansell's cell. If left long enough Feste will actually taunt Ansell through the bars then fall to the floor in fear. Feste will not interfere with the escape attempt.
- Two skeleton keys are required - there is a key in the chest near the jailor, and once access has been gained to Ansell's cell a second key can be found in a breakable jar in the cell.
- After the completion of this quest, a follow up quest The Heart's Compass will become available at the inn in Gran Soren. The quest entails escorting Tomlin to Prayer Falls.
- Trying to escape from the main gate will cause Ser Jakob to stop the jailbreak. Attempting to go that way a second time will cause the player to be put in jail. A further third attempt through the main gate and Ser Jakob will kill Ansell, failing the quest, and severely lowering Tomlin's affinity.
- It is possible to combine this quest with Arousing Suspicion.
- A ferrystone will not working in escaping the dungeon with Ansell - he will be left behind.
- ps3xbox360 After speaking to Ansell he doesn't move nor can he be spoken too.
- This can easily be fixed by exiting the castle gate into Gran Soren and returning.
- If the above method doesn't work, commit a crime, get caught by a guard who will put you in the dungeons again. Using a Skeleton Key to escape should trigger a conversation in which Ansell says that the player went far away, fixing the problem.
- Ansell will cower in fear if any non-human creatures are nearby - this includes spiders, rats and snakes, and mice. If any mice are present Ansell will not move and will not speak. Kill the mice to proceed.