"Tomlin has come to Cassardis in search of his missing father. Like as not you will need to visit the capital for clues."
Inquire Around Gran Soren (optional)
- Speak with the citizenry to learn of the gardener's disappearance.
Seek out Tomlin's Father
- Travel to the castle and locate Tomlin's imprisoned father.
Escort Ansell From the Dungeon
- You made contact with Ansell, Tomlin's father. Rescue him from the castle dungeon without alerting the guard.
- You rescued Ansell from the dungeon and reunited him to his son. Quest reward received.
WalkthroughEditAfter the Come to Court quest speak with Tomlin in Cassardis, just outside the Pablos' inn or along the beach. His father, Ansell, was a gardener for the Duke in Gran Soren and has disappeared.
Tomlin will hand over a Gardener's Permit as a quest item.
***** IMPORTANT *****
BE SURE TO BRING THE GARDENER'S PERMIT AND TWO SKELETON KEYS FOR THIS QUEST, BEFORE ENTERING THE DUKE'S DEMESNE IN GRAN SOREN.
This quest can be combined with Arousing Suspicion. This is explained further in this walkthrough.
Inquire Around Gran Soren (optional)Edit
Speaking with the citizens of Gran Soren is optional if the Arisen already knows where the jail cell is.
Seek out Tomlin's FatherEdit
Ansell is in the castle dungeon in the cell opposite the secret exit (the last cell on the left). Do not be concerned with the guards or Feste (the court jester), as they will not react to the prison break.
Escort Ansell From the DungeonEdit
The cell opposite Ansell's contains the entrance to this passage. An audible wind will indicate the correct cell. Use the second Skeleton Key to open the door and proceed left down into the sewers. Slay all the Rats, Spiders, and 3 Snakes to protect Ansell.
Reunite with the pawns and Tomlin in The Slums. The reunited father & son will express their gratitude before walking off to the exit in the Aqueduct. The quest will be completed and the rewards given when they both exit the city.
- In the Trials and Tribulations quest, Ansell can be escorted back to Gran Soren to testify against Fournival. He will be in or near Chief Adaro's home in Cassardis.
- Feste may be standing outside of Ansell's cell. If left long enough Feste will actually taunt Ansell through the bars then fall to the floor in fear. Feste will not interfere with the escape attempt.
- Two skeleton keys are required - there is a key in the chest near the jailor, and once access has been gained to Ansell's cell a second key can be found in a breakable jar in the cell.
- After the completion of this quest, a follow up quest The Heart's Compass will become available at the inn in Gran Soren. The quest entails escorting Tomlin to Prayer Falls for a reward of 3 Vigilite, 5,000 Gold and 3,000 Experience Points.
- ps3xbox360 After speaking to Ansell he doesn't move nor can he be spoken too.
- This can easily be fixed by exiting the castle gate into Gran Soren and returning.
- If the above method doesn't work, commit a crime, get caught by a guard who will put you in the dungeons again. Using a Skeleton Key to escape should trigger a conversation in which Ansell says that the player went far away, fixing the problem.
- Ansell will cower in fear if any non-human creatures are nearby - this includes spiders, rats and snakes, and mice. If any mice are present Ansell will not move and will not speak. Kill the mice to proceed.