The Archydra is a stronger version of the Hydra, with higher attack strength and defenses. Its scales are white rather than black.
The Archydra's behavior, skills and abilities mirror the Hydra: it can regenerate heads, is vulnerable to fire, and can swallow opponents. The Pawn's Bestiary knowledge for both sub-species is shared.
| Base Experience of 30,000
Can be more or less depending on a few factors such as:
Bitterblack Isle (Post-Daimon)
On severing a head
|Sources: Dragon's Dogma - ドラゴンズドグマ ＆ Dark Arisen (www10.atwiki.jp), the 'Dragon's Dogma Signature Series Guide' and in-game testing.|
|Charge||Phys||A powerful charge that knocks its targets over.|
|Neck Smash||Phys||If a neck is being climbed, that head will smash itself to the ground.|
|Head Strike||Phys||A head smash that stabs the ground.|
|Miasma Spit||Mag/Status||Sprays up to four long range jets of deadly poison, which will linger on the ground for a time. The jets may knock down its targets if they're getting hit. May cause Poison and Blindness.|
|Tail Whip||Phys||Spins around and whips its enemies with its tail. Has long range.|
|Devour||Spec|| Attempts to swallow a target. If the Arisen fails to free themself and is swallowed, they will die if they aren't freed before reaching the Archydra's main body. Pawns swallowed and not freed cannot be revived and will need to be re-hired.
If the Arisen doesn't have Pawns with them and fail to free themself, they will die instantly without sliding down its throat first.
If poisoned or blinded by its spit and attacked with the "Devour" move afterwards, the Arisen will not be able to struggle to free themself and will be instantly killed by being swallowed, if no Pawns are around to help them.
- Main article: Hydra § Combat.
Tactics against the Archydra are the same as against the common Hydra - the main difference being that the Archydra is nearly impervious to Holy magick, but can be damaged by Dark based spells like Maelstrom.
The Archydra should also have its wounds set on fire which delays head regeneration. It is resistant to all elements, but Dark and Fire less so. Its only real weakness is to slashing weapons. Each 'snake' should be struck as near as possible to the head or neck, where their resistance is weakest. The unique Hydra Husk longbow is as effective here as it is against a common Hydra.
Additionally, a fully decapitated Archydra will regenerate two full health bars whilst the heads grow back, double that of the Hydra.
Pawn Bestiary Knowledge
In addition to witnessing these techniques, it is necessary for Pawns to participate in killing 7 Archydras either with their own Arisen or while travelling with others.
- "Rush in and grab hold of its neck -- it's risky but might work!"
- "An archydra! 'Tis a deadly foe!"
- "I'll strike at its neck from here!"
- "Its heads work in unison!"
- "Its tail is a mighty whip! Beware!"
- "Now to climb its neck and strike!"
- "If we can but cleave off all its heads..."
- "I'll cleave its head free!"
- "It lies still!" (if all heads are cut off)
- "Roast its wounds to slow its healing."
- "You'll not take me!"
- "Focus on the wounded head! Cleave it free!"
- "It cannot heal a wound burnt closed!"
- "Waugh! It's grown another!"
- "No... The head's regrown!?"
- "The head's grown back!"
- "I'm no beast's meal...!"
- "Now - sever its head!"
- "I'll train my blade on its neck!"
- The Headshunter trophy or achievement can be obtained by defeating a Hydra or Archydra.