It is a stronger version of the Hydra, although unlike regular Hydra whose scales are black, the Archydra is a creamy white colour. It also has more health. It can be encountered in the The Everfall, specifically the Chamber of Hesitation's second room, or as one of the random encounters in post-Daimon Rotunda of Dread.
The Archydra has the ability to regenerate its heads, making it quite formidable, but if Fire damage is used while severing the head, or if the decapitated stump is attacked with fire soon afterward, regeneration will be delayed for the duration of the ignition.
Similar to the original Hydra, it takes less damage to sever at locations closer to the head than closer to the body.
If all four heads are severed, the Archydra will collapse and take heavily increased damage while rapidly regenerating health, up until a head is regenerated.
Information and StatsEdit
|Type||Monster / Boss|
Base Exp of 30,000
|Health||Attack||Defence||Magick Attack||Magick Defence||Weight|
|Run Over||Phys||A charge that knocks you over.|
|Neck Smash||Phys||If climbing a neck, it will smash itself to the ground for very high damage.|
|Head Strike||Phys||A head smash that stabs the ground.|
|Poison Spit||Mag/Status||Sprays up to 4 beams of poison that have long range and linger on the ground for a time after being sprayed. Can cause Poison and Blindness.|
|Tail Whip||Phys||Spins around and whips you with its tail. Has long range.|
|Eat||Spec|| Attempts to swallow you or a pawn. If you fail to free yourself (wiggle the L-stick fast enough) and are swallowed, you will die instantly if you aren't freed before reaching the main body. Pawns swallowed and not freed cannot be revived and will need to be re-hired.
If you are by yourself and have no Pawns with you and fail to free yourself, you die instantly and not get to see yourself sliding down its throat.
If poisoned or blinded by the spit attack and attacked with the "Eat" move afterwards, you won't get the prompt to free yourself and will be instantly swallowed, resulting in death if no Pawns are around to save you.
|Normal Hydra||Rate||Neck/Head Destroyed||Rate||With Drake, Wyrm, or Wyvern Tear||Rate|
|Rift Cluster||4%||Hydra Gallstone||3%||Wakestone Shard||40%|
|Hydra Gallstone||10%||White Hydra Scale||7%||Wakestone||60%|
|Poison Hydra Fang||25%||Poison Hydra Fang||25%|
|White Hydra Scale||49%||Hydra's Lifeblood||50%|
- Weak against Fire enchanted weapons and Fire spells like High Comestion.
- Weak against edged weapons (swords & daggers can cut off its heads).
- Immune to debilitations, except Tarred in oil and Lowered Defense.
- Severing a head with a Fire weapon enchanted (like Sapfire Daggers) will cauterize the stump and slow its regeneration. Hitting the stump afterwards with fire attacks also works, although this needs to be done quickly, as the heads regenerate within a few seconds.
- Striders & Rangers: Climb a head and slash away with Hundred Kisses as close to the head as possible to cut each individual head off. If possible, employ the augments Adhesion (for grip), Opportunism (+20% attack) and Arm-Strength (for stamina) with Gloves of Might (even MORE grip and climbing speed) for best results. Standing to one side and shooting the neck/head with Blast Arrows is particularly effective, since the Burning damage to the stump will prevent the severed head from regenerating as quickly as a non-seared stump. Fire-buffed Tenfold/Fivefold Flurry shots will also sever heads and simultaneously sear the neck stumps.
- Striders: Stand a little to one side to avoid the heads' strike attacks and pelt it with Splinter Darts/Fracture Darts. Each blast will sever at least one head, often two. As a bonus, this also inflicts burning and will delay the heads' regeneration.
- Assassins: Use the Strider climbing strategy (see above), but employ Dire Gouge instead of Hundred/Thousand Kisses.
- Magick Archers: If Immolation is activated before a head lunges forward to eat the Arisen, the head will be decapitated and the stump temporarily cauterized (as if were burned with Comestion).
- Sorcerers: If possible, first secure an elevated position before casting to avoid spell interruption. Gicel or Bolide can both cut off multiple heads. High Maelstrom is the most efficient way to kill the Archydra (2 or 3 castings can put it down with little effort). Use the Articulacy augment and the Wyrmking's Ring to shorten the casting time. High Miasma can cut off multiple heads with a single incantation.
- Mages: High Comestion is the most effective spell against a Hydra. Or for fun, cast High/Grand Brontide and wait for a head to eat you (seriously). This will interrupt the spell and unleash multiple tongues of lightning into the Hydra's mouth. This can effectively cut off the head that swallowed the Arisen. Even if it fails to cut off the head, the Arisen will be regurgitated.
- If enough damage is dealt to a single head it will leave its mouth wide open, allowing the Arisen to throw an explosive barrel into its maw. An arrow shot at the explosive-filled mouth will detonate the barrel and kill the head in spectaular fashion.
Tactics (Defensive) Edit
- The primary general defensive strategy in Dragon's Dogma is to first eliminate all lesser, distracting enemies before engaging the biggest threat. From the start, shoot down the flying creatures, sniper the magic users from afar, chase down the wolf packs, etc before tackling the huge behemoths. Pawns generally focus on the largest threat and get picked apart by the support enemies which distract or debilitate them. So even if the Arisen has to run all the way up and down the map to accomplish this objective, KILL THE SUPPORT ENEMIES FIRST, THEN TACKLE THE BIGGEST THREAT LAST.
- As a sword or dagger user, one must watch for the Archydra to rear its head before it attempts to grab or "head butt" one of the party. If these attacks are blocked or dodged, they provide a window of opportunity to grab the head and decapitate it.
- Upon attacking the tail a single head will be lured to engage the Arisen, making it extremely easy to kill and cut off.
Pawn bestiary knowledge Edit
- Hydra Strategy Vol. 1 - advises using a sword to sever the heads.
- Hydra Strategy Vol. 2 - suggests searing the stump (using Fire attacks) to prevent regrowth of a severed head
Skill Witness Edit
- Players are able to throw an Explosive Barrel in the Hydra's mouth and then shoot the barrel with an arrow. Doing this will "cut" off the head and grant Bestiary Knowledge on both Hydras and Archydras. If the pawn has such knowledge, in the future he/she would say "shoot the bulge in the neck" if this tactic is used again.
- The easiest and fastest way is to do it with The Encampment Hydra encountered at the beginning of the game. Be sure to choose a vocation can shoot arrows. When players reach The Encampment, remove weapons from Pawns so they are less likely to "cut" a head off and DO NOT ATTACK IT! Stand in front of the gate facing Cassards and call your pawns to you while the Hydra goes about snacking on all the guards. Once enough time has passed, the Hydra will coil itself in front of the other gate, and a quick cutscene will start where Mercedes throws an explosive barrel to the Arisen who will automatically toss it towards the Hydra. After the cutscene, the player will need to shoot the barrel in the Hydra's neck. I the kill count are already satisfied, this will complete Hydra and Archydra knowledge.
- This might take a few tries (up to 3 tries), however this event can be repeated quickly by difficulty switching, (selecting Hard Mode will only restart the player's progress, not the save file itself) but is much easier than throwing the barrels manually. It is recomended that you pick a Mage Pawn at the start, otherwise the Pawn may decide to kill the hydra if you are at a high level. Un-equipping the Mage's weapon also helps. When shooting the neck be sure to use the Come! command (down on the D-pad), as the Pawn tends to wander with no weapon equipped, and thus not notice and not gain knowledge.
- In addition to witnessing these techniques, it is necessary for the pawn to participate in killing at least 7 Archydras for the 3rd Star on Bestiary Knowledge. All tactics are shared between Hydra and Archydra.
- The Headshunter trophy or achievement can be obtained by defeating a Hydra or Archydra.