- "Mirabelle brings word that Lady Aelinore desires a secret meeting. Even as Arisen, dare you grant such a request?"
Arrange a clandestine meeting with the Duchess Aelinore.
This quest is easily missed. To be eligible for it, the Arisen must have first spoken to Aelinore after meeting the Duke during Come to Court, but before the cutscene with Aldous at the gate on the way out. With the prerequisite achieved, the player may find Mirabelle immediately after Come to Court to start this quest, most likely in the entry hall during the day. If she is not there, it may be necessary to have left and re-entered the map.
Mirabelle requests you meet her in the Duchess' gardens after night - accept the request and rendezvous with her after sunset.
Meet Mirabelle by Night
Mirabelle will be in the Duchess' Gardens to the northwest of the keep. She will then inform the Arisen that the Duchess wants to meet the Arisen in secret in the Duchess's Bedchambers in the northeastern tower, again at night. Accept the request to continue the quest.
Take caution as being spotted by the guards at night will result in being thrown into the dungeons.
Meet Aelinore by Night
To get to Aelinore's chambers, head through the audience chamber, up the stairs to the left, and through a small door to a side room. From there head upwards until the causeway bridge linking the keep to the tower is reached - Aelinores chambers are in the tower at the other end of the bridge.
If entering the castle at night, any contact with the palace guards will result in being thrown into prison. Guards patrol both the gardens and main chambers of the castle - there are numerous routes into the castle - the servants rooms can be used to hide in whilst guards pass as they never enter. An alternative and simpler method is to enter the castle at day, take the stairs to the tower, and then hide in the upper area of the keep accessed by a ladder until night falls.
Enter the tower at night to meet with the Duchess. A romantic scene begins but is interrupted by the Duke and his jester Feste and the Arisen is forced to hide.
Next the Duke, maddened by the moon, and his own personal loss loses his grip on reality and assaults Aelinore, strangling her. The Arisen then has two choices:
- Interfere, and approach to stop the Duke in his madness.
- Do nothing, remaining hidden, allowing the Duke to finish what he started.
Only the first will save Aelinore, the second condemns her to death at the Duke's hands. Regardless of the choice, the Arisen will eventually be discovered and thrown into the dungeons.
Escape the Dungeon
After being found and captured the Arisen will be placed in the dungeons and must escape.
If Aelinore was saved she will visit the Arisen there and provide two Skeleton Keys with which the Arisen can make an escape. Otherwise the Arisen must escape without aid.
The southwest cell contains a broken wall and entrance to sewers, and thence to the The Slums of Gran Soren. On exit, the quest is complete.
- If the one-time encounter with Aelinore is missed during Come to Court, the opportunity to begin this questline will be gone until New Game Plus.
- Failing to intervene in the bedroom scene will result in Aelinore's death - thus the quests Duchess In Distress and Beyond This Stony Cage and any planned romance options will not be available until New Game Plus.
- The opportunity to do this quest will pass if it is not completed before Reward and Responsibility, resulting in failure if it had not been completed.
- Getting thrown in the dungeon during the quest Come to Court will make it impossible to obtain this quest.
- This quest can be combined with An Innocent Man minimizing the number of visits made to the Dungeon.