Brine are tiny mist-like creatures that live in the large bodies of water surrounding and within Gransys and Bitterblack Isle. Their existence makes it difficult and dangerous to traverse deep rivers, lakes, or the ocean.
- "Be wary near any body of water. Wade too deep and you might be enveloped by the fog-like monster known as the Brine. Wander too deep or idle too long in the water and you'll fall unconcious, washing ashore later at some faraway place."
Staying in contact with the Brine for more than a few seconds will allow them to posses the Arisen - if the Arisen "drowns" in Brine-infested waters, they will reappear near the shore of the body of water after a short time. However, Pawns will return to the Rift, humans will perish, and monsters will be killed.
- Brine is always in deep water, so don't fear crossing shallow rivers. There are river areas that are Brine-infested, but the water level is also very deep there. This is common near waterfalls.
- Luring boss monsters into the Brine is an easy way to kill them, although this will forfeit any loot drops.
- Persons lost to the Brine will reappear after seven in-game days.
- Hired Pawns lost to the Brine receive only a three star rating.
- The Legion's Might staff will not auto-revive pawns that are consumed by the Brine.
- Saurians may be immune to the Brine - they can enter the water filled chambers of The Watergod's Altar without ill effect.
- Outside of the lore, the Brine exists to effectively act as a barrier around and within the game world, similar to how the game also uses "invisible walls." It prevents the player from venturing too far out of bounds and allows the creation of deep pools of water without having to code the ability to swim.
On Bitterblack Isle, one can actually walk under water defeating the Brine.
- Unequip any weapon for ease.
- Walk to the end of the dock.
- Jump towards the boat and as soon as you're about to grab on to the boat do a Light Attack.
- You should now fall through the boat into the water without triggering the Brine.
This glitch can be seen in "Dragon's Dogma out of bounds glitch in DLC area" via Youtube.