- See also Elemental Debilitation.
Being on fire is 'contagious' - burning goblins may set alight their friends when panicked and on fire; similarly grappling a enflamed hellhound may inflict burning on the grappler.
Causes and cures
A few enemies may also first attempt to inflict Tarring so that successive Fire attacks are more effective, inflicting Burning more quickly. This is the reason why Goblins throw Flasks of Oil and Torches.
- Burning forces flying enemies to land.
- Burning can also be used against Wolves, Direwolves and Saurians. They will roll on the ground to extinguish the flames; this puts them in a vulnerable position out of battle stance.
- Goblins are also incapacitated by fire -they run around in a panic, and may set other goblins alight too.
- Tarring does not increase the damage from burning, but does cause an increase in damage by the strike or spell that ignited it.
- Drenched can remove Burning and Tarring from a target.
- Equipping a Lantern whilst tarred is a recipe for an accident..
- Oddly, resistance to elemental fire does not reduce the chance of being set on fire, nor does it reduce the damage from being on fire.
Both the augment Intervention and the Rose Ring can prevent catching fire. However they are not effective against everything - for example the Rose Ring protects against the burning caused by a Drake's breath, but not the burning acid pools created by a Gorechimera.