A fearsome beast bearing the heads of both a lion and a goat while its tail takes the form of a giant snake. The Chimera’s features so differentiate it from the natural world that it is believed by most to be born not of God’s power, but of the sorcerer’s arts. The three beasts that reside within the creature each possess an independent will, and this ability to act autonomously is frighteningly apparent to anyone who comes to blows with the Chimera.
While the mobilization of its massive torso and legs is largely under the command of the lion head, the goat specializes in magickal attacks and the snake head on the chimera’s tail eliminates all blind spots and allows it to defend itself when downed. Adventurers would be foolish to approach a fallen Chimera without caution if the snake is still able to fight.
On rare occasions, the Chimera can be sent into a panic that will cause its respective personalities to fight for control of the body in a confused frenzy. Such behavior is not seen in other multi-headed beasts, such as the Hydra, and so it appears another piece of evidence supporting the theory that the chimera is a man-made monster.
Chimeras are highly adaptive and can survive in any habitat, but they are most often observed in mountain shadows and deep in dungeons.
They do not make a den or any other home for themselves as they are constantly on the prowl in search of new prey.
Information and StatsEdit
|Type||Monster / Boss|
Base Exp of 7,700
Can be more or less depending on a few factors such as:
|Health||Attack||Defense||Magick Attack||Magick Defense||Weight|
|Leap Attack||Phys||Pounces its target.|
|Bite||Phys||The Lion will bite anyone in front of it.|
|Back Kick||Phys||Uses its hind legs to kick anyone behind it.|
|Roar||Spec||The Lion roars and knocks back anyone in the vicinity or climbing on it. Any attacking pawn or Arisen is thrown back further. This can be blocked with a shield or magick shield.|
|Extinguish||Phys||Rolls on the ground if caught on fire or to get a person off of them.|
|Lion's Meal||Phys||The lion pounces on a sleeping or downed target and proceeds to feast on them. Free yourself by wiggling the L-stick fast enough.|
|Blind Rampage||Phys||If the Lion is the last head alive, it will go berserk, charging at random targets until it has sustained enough damage or is knocked down.|
|High Levin||Mag/Status||Smites the enemy from above with a tongue of lightning. Causes Thundershock.|
|Sopor||Status||Puts nearby enemies to sleep. Usually followed up with a Lion's Meal attack.|
|Frigor||Mag||Generates a giant spire of ice at enemies.|
|Miasma||Status||Spits a cloud of deadly poison out of its mouth on the ground. Causes Poison if caught in the cloud.|
|Lunge||Phys||Lunges at anyone in range or if there is anyone on the Chimera.|
|Grab||Phys||Grab a target and hoists them into the air, while the other heads chew on them until they free themselves (wiggle L-stick). Sometimes the snake will throw you towards the Lion's head, which will follow up with a Lion's Meal attack; and sometimes towards the goat head, which will inflict Drenched.|
|Dropped Item||Regular Drop (%)||Lion Head Destroyed (%)||Goat Head Destroyed (%)||Snake Head Destroyed (%)||Using Pilfer Skill (%)|
|Black Freakish Scale||-||-||-||-||34%|
|Jewel of Vicissitude||2%||-||100%||-||9%|
|Ring of Gules||-||-||-||-||1%|
|Ring of Azure||-||-||-||-||1%|
|Ring of Purpure||-||-||-||-||1%|
- ↑ Post-Game only. Having all three dragon tears in the player's possession guarantees the Wakestone drop and improves the chances of dropping the above items.
- Vestad Hills
- Verda Woodlands
- Northface Forest
- Wilted Forest
- Barta Crags
- The Greatwall
- Chamber of Fate in The Everfall
- Chimera Tactics - Specific tactics to beat Chimeras.
- Chimera Strategy Vol. 1 - Kill the Snake tail first to make climbing and attacking easier.
- Chimera Strategy Vol. 2 - Silence the Goat to make it unable to cast any spells.
- Use magickal attacks on the Lion head as it is weak to Magick.
- Killing the Goat head first will increase aggression as the Lion takes control of the body. It will pounce around randomly and violently.
- Killing the Lion head first will decrease aggression as the Goat takes control of the body. It will only be able to cast spells and will mostly try to run away from the attacking party.
Enemy Specific - Weak to Fire.
In addition to witnessing these techniques, it may be necessary for Pawns to participate in killing 30 Chimeras either with their own Arisen or while travelling with others.
- Vulnerable to Torpor (slow) and Poison. Use Rusted weapons to inflict both debilitations simultaneously. The higher the enhancement of the Rusted weapon, the higher chance it will debilitate with each strike.
- Vulnerable to Blind and Tarred in oil (Oil arrow can work). Use Aneled weapons to inflict both debilitations simultaneously. The higher the enhancement of the Aneled weapon, the higher chance it will debilitate with each strike.
- Vulnerable to Silence (the Goat head). Use Golden weapons to prevent the Goat head from casting spells, rendering it harmless. The higher the enhancement of the Golden weapon, the higher chance it will inflict Silence with each strike.
- Vulnerable to Sleep. High Sopor (Mystic Knight) or Sleeper Arrows are effective.
- Weak against Fire. Use spells like High Comestion and Fire-enchanted weapons such as Font of Fire, Sapfire Daggers, Scalding Razors, or the Dragons Ire bow.
- The three heads take significantly more damage than the body.
- When climbing monsters, employ the augments Adhesion (for grip), Opportunism (+30% attack) and Arm Strength (for stamina) with Gloves of Might (for even more grip and climbing speed) for best results.
- If the Arisen climbs the area of the Chimera between the Snake and the Goat, swings with a one-handed sword can hit both sections.
- Fighters : Dragon's Maw between the lion's head and the goat's head will do massive damage because the attack will hit both at the same time. A perfect shield block will make it stumble to the ground.
- Striders : Helm/Skull/Brain Splitter with the Eminence augment can quickly kill one or more heads simultaneously.
- Magic Archers : Shadowshackle/Shadowsnare will pin down and trap the Chimera for the duration of the fight.
- Mages : High Comestion will often kill off the snake and goat while doing significant damage to the lion, as well as setting it on fire. Silentium will silence the Goat from spellcasting and render it harmless.
- Sorcerers : High Miasma and High Comestion are effective. Silentium will render the Goat head unable to cast any healing or attack spells.
- Mystic Knights: Flame Trance and Flame Riposte are very effective. Using a fire-enchanted Great Cannon will kill the Chimera extremely quickly. Setting a Perilous or Ruinous Sigil and Magick/Great Cannon trap for the Chimera to run into is also extremely effective.
Tactics (Defensive) Edit
- If the Arisen chooses to snipe the Chimera from afar, this first strike surprise attack may nullify the "Ambush! Slay your enemies" objective that pops up and rewards the player with gold and rift crystals upon victory. To ensure the Arisen gets paid for their effort, the Chimera should be allowed to spot the party before the party initiates the fight.
Notes (Behavioral patterns) Edit
- The Lion will occasionally unleash a repulsing roar that does no damage, but disrupts spellcasting and knocks everyone backwards.
- The Goat casts spells at the party, but it can be Silenced and rendered harmless with Golden weapons.
- The Snake spews a poisonous mist which should be avoided.
- If the Lion is killed before the Goat, the Goat will take over control of the body.
- If both the Lion and Goat are killed before the Snake, the Snake simply dies and does not drop the Snakeskin reward.
- If the Lion head is the last one left alive, it will panic and run around.
- Like many of the creatures in Dragon's Dogma, the Chimera bears a very faithful similarity to its description in Greek Mythology.
- The Chimera is the first large Monster encountered by the player in the prologue.
- Unlike books or other traditional games or movies, the goat head is on the lion's back and not next to the lion's head.
- Chimeras appear to be a man-made monster. Evidence of this can be found during the battle for The Greatwall in the quest Deny Salvation, when a Chimera is found within a barricaded room and the guard blocking the entrance screams, "How could Salvation conjure up such creatures?" This indirectly implies that Chimeras are made by sorcerer's arts and are not from the natural world.
- If the Chimera is approached unaware, it can be found lounging and/or sleeping.
- A similar looking Chimera appears in another Capcom game, Resident Evil 4, as a wall relief.
- Every Chimera in the game respawns after four days (except for the one in the Wilted Forest, which respawns after three).