Information and StatsEdit
|Type||Monster / Boss|
|Experience gained||Base Exp of 7,700
Can be more or less depending on a few factors such as:
|Health||Attack||Defense||Magick Attack||Magick Defense||Weight|
|Leap Attack||Phys||Pounces its target.|
|Bite||Phys||The lion will bite anyone standing in front of it.|
|Back Kick||Phys||Uses its hind legs to kick anyone standing behind it.|
|Roar||Spec||The lion roars and knocks back anyone in the vicinity or climbing on it. Any attacking pawn or Arisen is thrown back further. This can be blocked with a shield or magick shield.|
|Extinguish||Phys||Rolls on the ground if caught on fire or to dislodge enemies.|
|Lion's Meal||Phys||The lion pounces on a sleeping or downed target and proceeds to feast on them. Wiggling the L-stick to break free.|
|Blind Rampage||Phys||If the lion is the last head alive it will go berserk, charging at random targets until it has sustained enough damage or is knocked down.|
|High Levin||Mag/Status||Smites the enemy from above with a tongue of lightning. Causes Thundershock.|
|Sopor||Status||Puts nearby enemies to sleep, usually followed up with a Lion's Meal attack.|
|Frigor||Mag||Generates a giant spire of ice at enemies.|
|Miasma||Status||Spits a cloud of deadly poison out of its mouth on the ground. Causes Poison if caught in the cloud.|
|Lunge||Phys||Lunges at anyone in range or if there is anyone on the Chimera.|
|Grab||Phys||Grabs a target and hoists them into the air, while the other heads chew on them until they free themselves (wiggle L-stick). Sometimes the snake will throw ensnare a target towards the lion head (which will be followed by a Lion's Meal attack) or towards the goat head (which will inflict Drenched).|
|Dropped Item||Regular Drop (%)||Lion Head Destroyed (%)||Goat Head Destroyed (%)||Snake Head Destroyed (%)||Using Pilfer Skill (%)|
|Black Freakish Scale||-||-||-||-||34%|
|Jewel of Vicissitude||2%||-||rare||-||9%|
|Ring of Gules||-||-||-||-||1%|
|Ring of Azure||-||-||-||-||1%|
|Ring of Purpure||-||-||-||-||1%|
- ↑ Post-Game only. Having all three dragon tears in the player's possession guarantees the Wakestone drop and improves the chances of dropping the above items.
- Vulnerable to Torpor, Silence, and Tarred, Sleep
- Weak against Fire.
- The three heads take significantly more damage than the body.
- The lion's head is weak to magic
- The goat's head is weak to physical attacks
- If the Arisen climbs the area of the Chimera between the snake and the goat, swings with a one-handed sword can hit both sections.
- Multi-strike spells (such as Bolide) can individually target each of the heads, resulting in multiple (meteor) strikes. This makes Bolide spells much more effective against Chimeras than they are against many other large monsters (such as Cyclopes, which will typically be hit by only one meteor).
- The snake's head on Chimeras (and Gorechimeras) represents a true weak spot for skills such as Great Gamble.
- Vulnerable to Silence - the goat's head will still attempt to cast spells, but with no effect.
- Targeting the snake's head first can make close quarters combat less troublesome, especially climbing attacks since the snake tends to strike and harass climbing combatants.
- Killing the lion's head reduces the overall aggression and tendency to rage of the beast.
- If the lions's head is the last to be destroyed the chimera will rage, making it a difficult and dangerous target.
- Beware the Chimera's pounces and back kicks - both can be Perfect Blocked.
- Fighters : Dragon's Maw between the lion's head and the goat's head will do massive damage because the attack will hit both at the same time.
- Striders : Skull Splitter and related skills with the Eminence augment can quickly kill one or more heads simultaneously.
- Mages : High Comestion will often kill off the snake and goat while doing significant damage to the lion as well as setting it on fire. Silentium will silence the Goat from spellcasting and render it harmless.
- Magick Archers : Shadowshackle is strong enough to pin down and trap the Chimera for the duration of the fight.
- Mystic Knights : A Ruinous Sigil will not only knock down a Chimera down, but will then do continued damage to all parts of the beast. General Mystic Knight tactics including perfect blocked ripostes work well.
- Chimeras are immune to poison, curse, petrification and blindness. Gorechimeras lack the immunity to poison.
- When wandering the open world, if the Arisen chooses to snipe a Chimera from afar, this first strike surprise attack will nullify the "Ambush! Slay your enemies" objective that rewards the player with gold and rift crystals upon victory. To ensure the Arisen gets paid for their effort, the chimera should be allowed to spot the party before the party initiates the first strike.
- Chimera Tactics - Specific tactics to beat Chimeras.
- Chimera Strategy Vol. 1 - Kill the snake tail first to make climbing and attacking easier.
- Chimera Strategy Vol. 2 - Silence the goat to make it unable to cast any spells.
- Use magickal attacks on the Lion head as it is weak to Magick.
- Killing the goat head first will increase aggression as the lion takes control of the body. It will pounce around randomly and violently. May not be a needed knowledge flag.
- Killing the lion head first will decrease aggression as the goat takes control of the body. It will only be able to cast spells and will mostly try to run away from the attacking party. May not be a needed knowledge flag.
Enemy Specific :
- Weak to Fire.
In addition to witnessing these techniques, it may be necessary for Pawns to participate in killing 30 Chimeras either with their own Arisen or while travelling with others.
More information can be found on the Pawn Bestiary Knowledge page.
- Chimeras in Greek mythology are described as they appear in the world of Dragon's Dogma - that is with a lion's head, with a goat's head behind, and a snake's head (or dragon's head) behind that. However, in Greek myth, the chimera could breathe fire. See wikipedia:Chimera (mythology) (Wikipedia)
- More generally, a chimera can refer to any creature created as a composite of other animals.
- Chimeras appear in many stories, games, films and plays - see wikipedia:Chimera in popular culture (Wikipedia).
- If the Chimera is approached unaware, it can be found lounging and/or sleeping.
- A similar-looking Chimera appears in another Capcom game, Resident Evil 4, as a wall relief in Ramon Salazar's castle.
- Every Chimera in the game respawns after four days (except for the one in the Wilted Forest, which respawns after three).