The Cockatrice is a large, rooster-like monster that has the body of a ferocious beast and the wings, legs and head of a rooster. While sharing similar features to that of a Griffin, Cockatrices have jet black, scruffy feathers that add to its nightmarish appearance and wild nature, as opposed to the majestic mien of a Griffin. The Cockatrice has a large throat pouch which stores its deadly petrifying gas, which when released, can turn any living being in its wake into solid stone and suffocate them to death.
The Cockatrice will give a preemptive warning when it is preparing its petrifying breath. Its throat sac will puff up and it will stay in one spot while flapping its wings, giving the Arisen's party an opening for inflicting damage or retreating to a safe distance. Once the attack is fully charged, the Cockatrice will sweep its head from one side to the other while spewing noxious fumes. It does not instantly petrify the victims, but rather, this is a slow and drawn out process where the afflicted victim's actions are greatly slowed down until completely frozen into stone. Unfortunate victims are doomed if no spell or curative is available to cure Petrification.
Information and Stats
| Base Experience of 10,800
Can be more or less depending on a few factors such as:
|Information from : Dragon's Dogma - ドラゴンズドグマ ＆ Dark Arisen (www10.atwiki.jp), the 'Dragon's Dogma Signature Series Guide' , and from in-game testing..|
|Petrification||Status||Airborne or on the ground, the Cockatrice may puff up its chest and spew projectiles or spray its breath along a sweeping arc. Inflicted characters will slowly become petrified.|
|Poisonous Claws||Phys/Status||Swipes the party with its claws, potentially inflicting Poison.|
|Seals Magick||Mag/Status||Attempts to silence the party's spellcasting abilities.|
|Debilitating Roar||Mag/Status||Roars to inflict debilitations (such as Torpor) on any characters within range.|
|Dive||Phys||Dive attack from the sky.|
|Bite||Phys||Bites at the party from the ground.|
|Charge||Phys||Charges forward while on the ground.|
|Poisonous Grab||Phys/Status||Jumps onto a target and crushes them underneath its poisonous claws, dealing continuous damage and inflicts Poison status. Quickly wiggle the L-stick in order to break free.|
|Rampage||Phys||Once the throat glands have been destroyed, its head and eyes may glow bright red while rampaging at the party and flailing its claws.|
- For physical attacks the weakpoint is the head.
- Weak against Thunder enchanted weapons and spells.
- More resistant to burning than the Griffin but can still be burned for a short time in order to knock it out of the sky.
- Attacks to its throat sac will delay its breath attack. If damaged enough, the sac will rupture completely and disable its Petrification breath.
- Successfully attacking the sac whilst the beast readies it breath attack is likely to down the Cockatrice, leaving it reeling and vulnerable for a short time.
- Attacks to its legs can knock it down, leaving it vulnerable for a short time.
- Attacks to its wings can disable its ability to fly, forcing it to land and remain grounded.
- All melee vocations: Climb the Cockatrice and attack the back of the head. (for tips see Climbing)
- Fighters : Divine Defense successfully guards against all of the Cockatrice's attacks and debilitations while activated.
- Shield bearing classes -the physical attacks can be Perfect Blocked as with the Griffin, though the Cockatrices erratic nature can make this difficult.
- Petrification defense is a must against this foe, as it uses its breath attack regularily and with a high likelihood to petrify the unprotected.
- Its Petrification breath can be blocked with a shield.
- The beast's breath and claw attacks can also causes silence, blindness, poison and torpor so curatives or protection for these debilitation is also recommended.
- If the Arisen gets hit with the Cockatrice's petrifying breath, wait a few seconds before using a curative, as it is possible the Arisen will get hit with Petrification twice in succession. This will avoid wasting curatives.
- Curatives or spells that grant the Impervious status are worth their weight in gold here.
- A pawn struck with Petrification while carrying no Secret Softeners of their own will not cure themselves if given one afterwards (they must be given the curative prior to the debilitation). The pawn can only be saved by using a group cure like Sobering Wine or Cockatrice Liquor, or a skill like High Voidspell (Sorcerer), or Great Ward Arrow (Magic Archer).
- Just like the Gargoyle earlier in the game, if the Soulflayer Canyon Cockatrice on Leaper's Ledge is visible from the first lower plateau with the Phantasms, it can be killed with ranged attacks without ever coming close enough to be in danger from it.
- Weak to Lightning
- Cockatrice Strategy Vol. 1 Cockatrices are vulnerable to Blindness.
- Cockatrice Strategy Vol. 2 Attack a cockatrice's throat sac as it unleashes its petrifying breath.
- Strike the head or wings to make it land
- Witness it's poisonned claw attack
In addition to witnessing these techniques, it is necessary for Pawns to participate in killing 15 Cockatrices either with their own Arisen or while travelling with others.
- In myth a Cockatrice is a "two-legged dragon or serpent-like creature with a cock's head." (Source Wikipedia:Cockatrice.) The Dragon's Dogma Cockatrice shares the same common physiology as a Griffin, rather than a serpentine version.
- A lot of the boss creatures in this game can be "taken apart" bit by bit, reminiscent of the Monster Hunter and Lost Planet series, which are also created by CAPCOM.
- The Cockatrice seems to be reminiscent of the Qurupeco, a bird/wyvern monster from the Monster Hunter series. The Qurupeco has a large, inflatable red throat pouch, which if it receives enough damage, will be broken and stuns the creature just like the Cockatrice.
- The "dead" Cockatrice featured in the main quest can be found just north of the bridge north of Gran Soren upon accepting The Wyrmking's Ring but before reporting to Aldous with your success.