The Cockatrice is a large, Griffin-like monster that resembles a disfigured, quadrupedal rooster. While sharing similar features to that of the typical Griffin, Cockatrices have jet black, scruffy feathers that add to its nightmarish appearance and wild nature, as opposed to the majestic mien of a Griffin. The Cockatrice has a large throat pouch which stores its deadly petrifying gas, which when released, can turn any living being in its wake into solid stone, gradually slowing and paralyzing them until they are completely petrified.
The Cockatrice will give a preemptive warning when it is preparing its petrifying breath. Its throat sac will puff up and it will stay in one spot while flapping its wings, giving the Arisen's party an opening for inflicting damage or retreating to a safe distance. Once the attack is fully charged, the Cockatrice will sweep its head from one side to the other while spewing noxious fumes. It does not instantly petrify the victims, but rather, this is a slow and drawn out process where the afflicted victim's actions are greatly slowed down until completely frozen into stone. Unfortunate victims are doomed if no spell or curative is available to cure Petrification.
Information and Stats
| Base Experience of 10,800
Can be more or less depending on a few factors such as:
Master Thief may yield
|Sources: Dragon's Dogma - ドラゴンズドグマ ＆ Dark Arisen (www10.atwiki.jp), the 'Dragon's Dogma Signature Series Guide' and in-game testing.|
|Petrification||Status||Airborne or on the ground, the Cockatrice may puff up its chest and spew projectiles or spray its breath along a sweeping arc. Inflicted characters will slowly become petrified.|
|Poisonous Claws||Phys/Status||Swipes the party with its claws, potentially inflicting Poison.|
|Seals Magick||Mag/Status||Attempts to Silence the party's spellcasting abilities.|
|Debilitating Roar||Mag/Status||Roars to inflict debilitations (such as Torpor) on any characters within range.|
|Dive||Phys||Dive attack from the sky.|
|Bite||Phys||Bites at the party from the ground.|
|Charge||Phys||Charges forward while on the ground.|
|Poisonous Grab||Phys/Status||Jumps onto a target and crushes them underneath its poisonous claws, dealing continuous damage and inflicts Poison status. Quickly wiggle the L-stick in order to break free.|
|Rampage||Phys||Once the throat glands have been destroyed, its head and eyes may glow bright red while rampaging at the party and flailing its claws.|
- For physical attacks the weakpoint is the head.
- Weak against Lightning enchanted weapons and spells.
- More resistant to Burning than the Griffin but can still be burned for a short time in order to knock it out of the sky.
- Attacks to its throat sac will delay its breath attack. If damaged enough, the sac will rupture completely and disable its Petrification breath.
- Successfully attacking the sac whilst the beast readies it breath attack is likely to down the Cockatrice, leaving it reeling and vulnerable for a short time.
- Attacks to its legs can knock it down, leaving it vulnerable for a short time.
- Attacks to its wings can disable its ability to fly, forcing it to land and remain grounded.
- All melee vocations: Climb the Cockatrice and attack the back of the head. (for tips see Climbing)
- Fighters: Divine Defense successfully guards against all of the Cockatrice's attacks and debilitations while activated.
- Shield bearing classes: The physical attacks can be Perfect Blocked as with the Griffin, though the Cockatrice's erratic nature can make this difficult.
- Petrification defense is a must against this foe, as it uses its breath attack regularly and with a high likelihood to petrify the unprotected.
- Its Petrification breath can be blocked with a shield.
- The beast's breath can also cause Silence; its claws can Poison; and if it roars may cause Torpor - so curatives or protection for these debilitations are recommended.
- If the Arisen gets hit by the Cockatrice's petrifying breath, wait a few seconds before using a curative, as it is possible to get hit by Petrification twice in succession. This will avoid wasting curatives.
- Curatives or spells that grant the Impervious status are worth their weight in gold here.
- A pawn struck with Petrification and given a curative afterwards has only a short time period in which they are still able to cure themselves - if frozen but still alive they cannot heal themselves - the pawn can then only be saved by using a group cure or with High Voidspell.
- Just like the Gargoyle earlier in the game, if the Soulflayer Canyon Cockatrice on Leaper's Ledge is visible from the first lower plateau with the Phantasms, it can be killed with ranged attacks without ever coming close enough to be in danger from it.
Pawn Bestiary Knowledge
For full information, refer to the Bestiary page. Enemy specific :
- Weak to Lightning
- Cockatrice Strategy Vol. 1 - Cockatrices are vulnerable to Blindness.
- Cockatrice Strategy Vol. 2 - Attack a Cockatrice's throat sac as it unleashes its petrifying breath.
- Griffin Strategy Vol. 3 - Block beak attack with shield. This technique is also needed for Griffin bestiary knowledge, and performing a block on either beast may give knowledge for the other.
- Strike the head or wings to make it land
- Witness its poisonous claw attack
In addition to witnessing these techniques, it is necessary for Pawns to participate in killing 15 Cockatrices either with their own Arisen or while travelling with others.
- "It bears the head of a cock!"
- "Look there, a cockatrice!"
- "What monstrosity is this!?"
- "It hates lightning!"
- "Seems its talons bear poison."
- "Take care you aren't poisoned!"
- "Take care you aren't petrified!"
- "Petrifying breath! Stand well clear!"
- "'Tis storing its power!?"
- "'Tis dangerous! stay back!"
- "Beware its roar!"
- "It ill liked that! Aim for its head!"
- "No, run!" (petrifying breath)
- In medieval English legend a Cockatrice is a "two-legged dragon or serpent-like creature with a cock's head." - its gaze, breath, or crowing had the power to kill a person instantly. (Source Wikipedia:Cockatrice.)
- The cockatrice is also much like the medieval european imagining of a Basilisk (See Wikipedia:Basilisk)
- The Dragon's Dogma Cockatrice shares the same common physiology as a Griffin, rather than a serpentine version - that is the rear body and torso of a Lion, the front legs and wings of an Eagle, but with black fur and feathers and with the head of a Cockerel.
- The Cockatrice seems to be reminiscent of the Qurupeco, a bird/wyvern monster from the Monster Hunter series. The Qurupeco has a large, inflatable red throat pouch, which if it receives enough damage, will be broken and stuns the creature just like the Cockatrice.
- A source of much humor for fans is that when the Cockatrice is first encountered, a pawn yells "It has the head of a cock", with accidental innuendo.