- Darkness redirects here, for the assassin named Darkness, see Darkness (bandit).
Dark is one of the five Elemental Attributes or Archmagicks in Dragon's Dogma. In several respects Dark is the opposite of Holy - generally enemies weak to Holy will be strong to Dark, and vice versa.
Damaging Dark attacks accumulate with every hit to the enemy, and will eventually cause a "critical hit" should their Dark threshold be breached - for example, Dark-enchanted Magick Bolts: Successive (non-blocked) hits will eventually result in a critical hit, inflicting up to 9x damage (the multiplier can be between 2x and 9x for more powerful enemies).
The size of a monster may also be a factor. A Cyclops takes over a dozen successive hits to breach the threshold, whilst an Ox usually is critically hit after under six strikes; some small creatures such as spiders or snakes have no resistance to critical strikes and take a critical hit on every strike.
Neither Magick nor Strength nor Defense alter the critical hit multiplier. Neither does dark resistant equipment reduce the chance of a critical hit, though it does reduce the damage.. Only the innate 'species' resistance is a factor. Boosting potions and periapts do not increase the critical hit chance.
Both physical (Kunai, Rooted Gloom) and magickal attacks (Stagnant Surge) from dark enchanted weapons can inflict critical damage. If a weapon enchantment spell is used to give a weapon a dark magick enchant the frequency of critical strikes is related to the tier of the enchantment (see Elemental Debilitation). A few dark based spells such as Great Sacrifice or Necromancy also give critical hits.
A critical hit is indicated by tendrils of dark 'anti-energy' flashing through the target.
- For resistance to dark damage, see List of Creature Elemental and Melee Resistances
- For resistance to dark critical hits, see List of Creature Debilitation Resistances
- List of Armor and Clothing Sets with Dark resistance
- List of Head Armor with Dark resistance
- List of Torso Armor with Dark resistance
- List of Leg Armor with Dark resistance
- List of Arms Armor with Dark resistance
- List of Leg Clothing with Dark resistance
- List of Chest Clothing with Dark resistance
- List of Cloaks with Dark resistance
Spells and Dark Weapons
- There are no known items that give protection against dark critical hits.