Recapture the The Greatwall and rout the Salvation cultists within.
Deny Salvation occurs after the Cockatrice has been slain in the quest Honor and Treachery.
- Caution ! Once this quest is complete, the upper sections of The Greatwall will no longer be accessible.
To initiate this quest, speak with Aldous at the Duke's Demesne and accept to go on the expedition - visit the Duke in his Solar on the second floor and after speaking with him follow him to the Treasury.
At the treasury a guard will bring news of an attack on The Greatwall by Salvation causing a change of plan. The Duke will decide that the expedition can wait and sends the Arisen to retake The Greatwall instead.
On entering the Greatwall itself two Salvation Members will spot the Arisen and as they retreat, summoon two Armored Cyclopes and numerous Snow Harpies. Defeat these and enter the Greatwall keep itself. First the party may with to explore the outer courtyard - here a soldier can tell of the fate of the others inside - there are also several undead in a small graveyard in the far corner of the yard.
Inside the Keep itself two routes are possible - either assault directly upwards to the highest point of the keep via the main stairs, or take a longer alternative route whilst rescuing a number of allied guards.
Firstly a drudge of Skeletons must be fought - the direct path onwards leads to The Tainted Mountain Temple and is closed. A turn to the east leads to both the main stairs upwards and to the side route.
The side route is accessed via a room with a barred door and a weakened section of wall. Break the wall with an Explosive Barrel or powerful magic or other attack to take this path. Beyond the wall, stairs continue down to a room with several Skeleton Warriors and a Salvation member, and three frightened guards. Defeat the enemies, and a guard will open a gate to a chest - any rescued guards will also provide a gift. From here the path onwards is back to the main stairs.
The main stairs are guarded by several spellcasting Salvation members - an alternative side passage route allows the foes to be bypassed and attacked from behind, as well as containing some treasure chests - another guard must be rescued at the base of the stairs as they hold the key to this route.
Beyond the main stairs the only way forward leads to a large hall containing a summoned Chimera. Ballistae here may be useful in dispatching the monster - once it is dead a guard will unlock the far door allowing further progress upwards.
Eventually an open stairway will be reached with more Skeletons and Salvation members - here another guard is under attack and if rescued will open another locked gate, allowing access to a side passage - an alternative route exists through a breakable section of wall. Here the badge for the quest Badge of Vows 39 can be found.
Onward and upward leads to another room and a Skeleton Lord and guard. If the guard does not die during the battle he will open yet another chest-bearing room to the side. This chest can contain the uncommon Rooted Gloom warhammer or Kunai daggers.
This room exits onto the open upper area of the keep, where the final encounter with Elysion takes place. After another harranging speech from the cultist leader, he sacrifices two Salvation followers and resurrects them as Wights. Defeat the Wights and their summoned Undead to complete the quest. (This rooftop battle is the only chance to obtain the Badge of Vows 40.)
The quest The Final Battle now becomes available.
- The guards within the keep include Ser Bacell, Ser Diggan, Ser Holtor, Ser Thurstance, Ser Jirco, Ser Cronnel, Ser Estoma, Ser Faerma and Ser Gerrick.
Preparation and considerationsEdit
- After the Treasury scene, the quest to rescue Lady Aelinore (Duchess In Distress) will become available if the prerequisite quests have been completed.
- This quest is the only opportunity to visit the upper areas of the Greatwall keep
- This quest is the only opportunity for the Arisen to collect the Badge of Vows 39, Badge of Vows 40, and Badge of Vows 87.
- Be sure to collect any desired loot from the chests in the upper areas before proceeding to the rooftop battle.
- In particular the location of Badge of Vows 40 is only available during the final confrontation of this quest and becomes inaccessible when both Wights are defeated.
- The character with the highest affinity for the Arisen will become the Beloved during this quest and affects the story onwards. Thus, immediately before and during this quest is the last chance to get the desired character as the beloved.
- Many enemies in this quest are weak to Holy enchanted weapons and spells and include strong spellcasters who are likely to be out of the range of melee attacks.
|Underground rooms side chamber|
|?||Jade Bangles (50%) or Chimeric Gauntlets (25%) or Red Over-Knee Boots (20%) or Meloirean Armguard (5%)|
|Main stairs side passage room||Thousand Stings (15%) or Orilux Shield (15%) or Veteran's Arc (15%) or|
|Graveyard in outer courtyard||Giant Coin Pouch (35%) or Foreign Medicament (25%) or Purifying Brew (20%) or Liquid Vim (10%)|
|Beyond gate leading to the Tainted Mountain||Giant Coin Pouch (50%) or Hydra Strategy Vol. 2 (30%) or Nimble Cuisses (7%) or Clerical Cap (7%) or Crowned Hood (6%)|
|Main stairs side passage room||Faithful Earring (100%)|
|Second floor anteroom before main chamber||Master's Bracers (30%) or Scarlet Hand Covers (30%) or Animistic Robe (30%) or Leather Ocreae (10%)|
|Second floor anteroom before main chamber||Ring of Sable (10%) or Free-Spoken Earring (30%) or Sight Earring (30%) or Gryphic Cloak 30%)|
|Greatwall keep rooftop||Salubrious Brew (35%) or Assassin's Breeches (7%) or Lion-Lord's Helm (7%) or Chimeric Armet (6%) or Undead Strategy Vol. 2 (24%) or Brown Laced Leggings (20%) or Gryphic Victory (1%)|
|Third floor side room||Ardent Will (18%) or Algid Bloom (18%) or Kunai (15%) or Gimble Gyre (18%) or Rooted Gloom (18%) or Alchemickal Bangles (10%) or Stagnant Surge (3%)|
- Reading between the lines it seems likely that the Duke, knowing that the Arisen proves a threat to his position (and his lie), originally sought to be rid of them - sending them on a long and perilous journey, from which he might hope that they did not return.
- If the quest is incompleted after one week the creatures of the keep excluding the Chimera, and its treasure will be renewed.
- It is possible to run past many of the enemies en route to the upper keep, including the cyclops.