- "Secure the Greatwall."
Recapture the The Greatwall and rout the Salvation cultists within.
Deny Salvation begins during the quest Reward and Responsibility.
- Caution ! Once this quest is complete, the upper sections of The Greatwall will no longer be accessible.
To initiate this quest, start and follow the quest Reward and Responsibility by accepting Aldous' request on behalf of the Duke to go on a distant mission - then speak with the Duke and accept his gifts from the Treasury. Events will cause Deny Salvation to begin automatically.
On entering The Greatwall itself, two Salvation Members will spot the Arisen and as they retreat, summon two Armored Cyclopes and numerous Snow Harpies. Defeat these and enter the Greatwall keep itself. First, the party may wish to explore the outer courtyard - here a soldier can tell of the fate of the others inside. Several Undead Warriors will rise in a small graveyard in the far corner of the yard. Ser Andorf will alert the Arisen to the plight of the men within.
Retake the Keep
Inside the keep itself, two routes are possible - either assault directly upwards to the highest point of the keep via the main stairs, or take a longer alternative route whilst rescuing a number of allied guards.
Firstly a drudge of Skeletons must be fought - the direct path onwards leads to The Tainted Mountain Temple and is closed. A turn to the east leads to both the main stairs upwards and to the side route.
The side route is accessed via a room with a barred door and a weakened section of wall. Break the wall with an Explosive Barrel or powerful magick or other attack to take this path. Beyond the wall, stairs continue down to a room with several Skeleton Knights and a Salvation member, and three frightened guards. Defeat the enemies, and a guard will open a gate to a chest - any rescued guards will also provide a gift. From here the path onwards is back to the main stairs.
The main stairs are guarded by several spellcasting Salvation members - an alternative side passage route allows the foes to be bypassed and attacked from behind, and contains some treasure chests - another guard must be rescued at the base of the stairs as they hold the key to this route.
Beyond the main stairs the only way forward leads to a large hall containing a summoned Chimera. Ballistae here may be useful in dispatching the monster - once it is dead, a guard will unlock the far door allowing further progress upwards.
Eventually, an open stairway will be reached with more Skeletons and Salvation members. Another guard is under attack here and if he's rescued, will open another locked gate, allowing access to a side passage. An alternative route exists through a breakable section of wall. Here the badge for the quest Badge of Vows 39 can be found.
Onward and upward leads to another room and a Skeleton Lord and guard. If the guard does not die during the battle, he will open yet another chest-bearing room to the side. This chest can contain the uncommon Rooted Gloom warhammer, Kunai daggers or the Ardent Will longsword.
This room exits onto the open upper area of the keep, where the final encounter with Elysion takes place. After another haranguing speech from the cultist leader, he sacrifices two Salvation followers and resurrects them as Wights. Defeat the Wights and their summoned Undead.
The quest The Final Battle now becomes available.
Preparation and considerations
- After the Treasury scene, the quest to rescue Lady Aelinore (Duchess In Distress) will become available if the prerequisite quests have been completed.
- This quest is the only opportunity to visit the upper areas of the Greatwall keep
- This quest is the only opportunity for the Arisen to collect the Badge of Vows 39, Badge of Vows 40, and Badge of Vows 87.
- Be sure to collect any desired loot from the chests in the upper areas before proceeding to the rooftop battle.
- In particular the location of Badge of Vows 40 is only available during the final confrontation of this quest and becomes inaccessible when both Wights are defeated.
- The character with the highest affinity towards the Arisen will become the Beloved during this quest and affects the story onwards - if there were multiple characters with maximum affinity, the one last spoken to will be chosen as the beloved. Thus, immediately before and during this quest is the last chance to get the desired character as the beloved.
- Many enemies in this quest are weak to Holy enchanted weapons and spells and include strong spellcasters who are likely to be out of the range of melee attacks.
- Completing Deny Salvation will unlock the trophy/achievement Rough Landing.
- For locations and contents of chests, and other loot, see the map and lists in The Greatwall.
- Reading between the lines, it seems likely that the Duke, knowing that the Arisen would prove a threat to his position (and his lie), originally sought to be rid of them - sending them on a long and perilous journey, from which he might hope that they did not return.
- If the quest is incompleted after one week, the creatures of the keep excluding the Chimera and its treasure will respawn.
- It is possible to run past many of the enemies en route to the upper keep, including the Cyclopes.