Enhancement level 4 or Dragonforging is a process whereby Armour and Weapons are "strengthened in wyrmfire", enhancing them to an extra level above the standard 3 Star upgrade. Rather than requiring materials and a merchant, Dragonforging can be achieved by slaying an enemy that belongs to the Dragon class. Upon the death of a dragon, all armour and weapons the Arisen has equipped have a chance of becoming dragonforged.
Dragonforged equipment is indicated by a red cross-shaped symbol of the wyrm that then appears in the top-left of an item's icon. This is the same symbol on the Duke's heraldry, seen on banners in the Encampment, the Castle and in the Gran Soren Union Inn.
- For an item to be dragonforged, it must be equipped. If it is simply being held in the player's inventory, it will not be dragonforged.
- It must be equipped by the Arisen. Items equipped on Pawns will not be dragonforged.
- Only equipment being worn at the time of death of the dragon will have a chance of being dragonforged. Items worn at the beginning of, or during, an encounter with a dragonkin will not be taken into account when dragonforging occurs.
- In the case of the three lesser dragons (the Drake, the Wyrm and the Wyvern) and the offline Ur-Dragon, equipment must have been enhanced at least once beforehand to qualify for dragonforging. The better the upgrade, the greater chance of dragonforging occurring.
- Slaying The Dragon and the online Ur-Dragon are the only methods of dragonforging unenhanced equipment, as these are the only two methods that are guaranteed to dragonforge all your equipment.
|Equipment Grade||Drake Wyrm Wyvern||The Dragon||Ur-Dragon (Offline)||Ur-Dragon (Online)||Firedrake Frostwyrm Thunderwyvern||Cursed Dragon|
Upgrading Beyond DragonforgedEdit
- Equipment can be upgraded beyond the level of Dragonforged. The expansion Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is required in order to go past this level. Consult Rarifying for further information.You will have to find rarer materials from Bitterblack Isle to do a further upgrade.
Dragon Forged is an Achievement/Trophy available and can be obtained when a piece of equipment worn by the Arisen is dragon forged for the first time after defeating a dragon.
- The use of saving and resetting can be utilized to essentially "farm" dragonforging, to some extent. This can be done by finding a lesser dragon such as a Drake, attacking it until it is near death then running to safety at a point where the game can be saved. Reloading the game (either through exiting to the Title Menu or using Godsbane to 'suicide' will not reset its health, allowing the Arisen to repeat killing blows until the desired equipment is dragonforged, in which case the higher enhancement the better.
- This method works well for getting specific equipment dragonforged and reduces the time needed to locate and fight Dragonkin. Farming for dragonforging is easier in Post-Game where there are many dragonkin to be found all over Gransys - the player will also have obtained the Godsbane, which makes reloading a save much quicker.
- None of the Dragonkin can be slain by a Pawn. The Arisen has to make the final blow to the heart in order to kill it. The only exceptions are the Ur-Dragon and the Cursed Dragon.
- Occassional equipment will be dragonforged no apparent reason whilst wandering Gransys. This is most likely due a glitch when a dragon dies by flying into the sea.
- A Pawn's equipment will not be upgraded to dragonforged status, but a Pawn can still equip dragonforged items. Players seeking to have their pawns wear dragonforged equipment simply need to wear it themselves and get it dragonforged, then give it back to their pawns. This may require changing vocations, or even changing genders using the Art Of Metamorphosis in the case of gender-specific items.
- When fighting lesser dragons, the percentage likelyhood of dragonforging equipment is applied to each piece of equipment individually (dependent on its level of enhancement) - thus - removing other gear does not increase the chance of a specific item worn being dragonforged
- The earliest dragonkin encountered in the game is the Drake at Devilfire Grove and is often sought after for early equipment dragonforging. The Drake will respawn after sleeping at a Resting Point for 7 days.