Dragonforging is a process whereby Armour and Weapons are "strengthened in wyrmfire", improving them to a level above that of the 3 Star enhancement.
Rather than requiring materials and a merchant, Dragonforging can only be achieved by slaying a Dragon. Upon the death of a dragon, all armour and weapons the Arisen has equipped have a chance of becoming dragonforged.
Dragonforged equipment is indicated by a red cross-shaped symbol of the wyrm that then appears in the top-left of an item's icon.
For an item to be Dragonforged, it must be equipped by the Arisen. If it is simply being held in the player's inventory, it will not be Dragonforged.
Only equipment being worn at the time of death of the Dragon will have a chance of being Dragonforged. Items worn at the beginning of, or during, an encounter with Dragonkin will not be taken into account when Dragonforging occurs.
In the case of the three lesser dragons (the Drake, the Wyrm and the Wyvern) and the offline Ur-Dragon, equipment must have been enhanced at least to one star status beforehand to qualify for Dragonforging. The better the upgrade, the greater chance of dragonforging.
When fighting lesser dragons, the percentage likelihood of dragonforging equipment is applied to each piece of equipment individually - thus - removing other gear does not increase the chance of a specific item worn being dragonforged
|Equipment Grade||Drake Wyrm Wyvern||The Dragon||Ur-Dragon (Offline)||Ur-Dragon (Online)||Firedrake Frostwyrm Thunderwyvern||Cursed Dragon|
- Main article :Rarifying
In Dark Arisen equipment can be upgraded beyond the level of Dragonforged by rarifying using rare materials from Bitterblack Isle. Silver and Gold raryfied items are often referred to as "Silver Dragonforged" and "Gold Dragonforged".
- The Dragonforged symbol is the same symbol used on the Duke's heraldic displays, seen on banners in the Encampment, the Duke's Demesne and in the Gran Soren Union Inn.
- Items equipped on Pawns are never Dragonforged.
- Players seeking to have their pawns wear Dragonforged need to wear it themselves to get it Dragonforged, then give it back to their pawns. This may require changing vocations or even changing genders using the Secret of Metamorphosis in the case of gender-specific items.
- It is very rare, but occasionally equipment worn by the Arisen can be Dragonforged for no apparent reason whilst wandering Gransys. This is most likely due to a glitch when a nearby dragon dies by flying into the sea or is attacked by other enemies.
- In Dragon's Dogma before The Final Battle and the Post-Game the only Dragon in the game the Drake at Devilfire Grove
- In Dark Arisen further Dragon's are to be found on Bitterblack Isle
- In New Game Plus the Ur-Dragon is available before Post-Game via a stone on Starfall Bay.
- Godsbaning could be used to ensure the desired equipment is Dragonforged.
- Farming for Dragonforging is easier in Post-Game where there are many Dragonkin to be found all over Gransys.
- An effective technique for Dragonforging multiple items simultaneously is to farm Cursed Dragons. Use a Rancid Bait Meat in the Duskmoon Tower or Midnight Helix to lure Cursed Dragons. Duskmoon Tower will only spawn Cursed Dragons; not other monsters
The Dragon Forged (Achievement/Trophy) is obtained when a piece of equipment worn by the Arisen is Dragonforged for the first time.