It is advised not to delve into the Cave early in the game without the proper equipment, skills and curatives as Saurians have tough hides and will deal great damage to low-levelled parties.
The cave can be divided into several areas. From the Cassardis well entrance, the path splits. One leads straight and the other leads to an underground stream. The dry path is infested with Giant Rats and the both routes have a Giant Bat problem.
The main route is via the straight path, which leads via a drop to a second area of the caverns, where a large rock formation called the Emperor's Pillar stands in the middle of the cavern.
There is a water filled cove off from the Emperor's Pillar room, initially blocked by a large rock. The cave beyond becomes accessible during the quest Deeper Trouble - it leads out to the sea somewhere at Brightwater Cove.
Once the Saurians have been cleared from the Cave during Deeper Trouble the rear cavern will be infested by Phantoms and Undead and Undead Warriors at night, and either Saurians or Bandits will be in the main cavern during the day.
A barred door leads to a short tunnel off which the Station Room is located. Here either Bandits or Spiders lurk, occasionally only mice will run into the walls at the party's approach.
However, prematurely breaking the door's bar prevents the player from obtaining one of the location knowledge stars for Dripstone Cave as the party must enter the caverns from the Manamia Trail entrance and encounter the locked door.
Once the player has cleared out the cave of Saurians both times, the cave can be a useful shortcut for travellers making the trip between Gran Soren and Cassardis since there are few enemies, the walk is short, and the party will wind up right inside Cassardis.
- Deep Trouble and Deeper Trouble - slay the Saurians
- From A Different Sky - Part 6 - here are found Badge of Vows 57 and Badge of Vows 58
The tunnels from the Cassardis well are full of Mushroom, Large Mushroom and Stagnant Shroom; in the main (Emperor's Pillar) cavern there is abundant Purple Anise and some ore deposits which may yield the rarer Sand-Layer Ore. The entire cave is a good source of Skulls, found scattered throughout. A side cave lit from a high water hole contains Grandgrapes, Mithridate and other plants.
- Underground river
- Chest under the small rotted bridge : Leather Cap
- Chest on ledge at right side of river (going downstream): Pickled Mushrooms, Light-Cure , Coin Pouch
- Chest at end of river (where the main path is rejoined above): Coin Pouch, Harspud Milk, Balmy Incense
- Brightwater Cove Cave
- Side cave (Emperor's Pillar chamber)
- North Exit (near barred door)
- Chest on a higher part near the barred exit door (and snakes): Scholar's Bangle, Novice's Bracers, Metal Greaves
- Station Room (Manamia Trail exit)
- Giant Rats, Giant Bats, Snakes, and Mice
- Before and during the Deep Trouble and Deeper Trouble quests there is an infestation of Saurians
- The Station Room is either full of Spiders or Bandits depending on the time of day.
- Into Dripstone Cave - simply enter the cave to unlock
Knowledge flag or pawn comment locations:
- Near the entrance, where the path splits into a fork.
- After a right turn at the fork (from Cassardis) - at the small rotting bridge.
- The Brightwater Cove chamber (initially blocked)
- At the barred door near to the Manamia Trail entrance - for the knowledge flag to activate the door bars must be unbroken when visiting. Visiting from the opposite, with the door barred or un barred does not give knowledge. If the bar was broke before the knowledge flag was obtained there are subsequent opportunities in New Game Plus.
- The Saurians in the cave often present the first hard battle for a new Arisen - though ice enchantment helps, the use of the skulls found in the cave to curse the reptiles makes this hard battle a much easier one.