"Respected ruler of all Gransys. In his youth, he was dubbed a hero when he repelled the dragon. For that, he was also given the name 'Dragonsbane'."
Name: Edmun Dragonsbane
Body Type: Regal
Also known as: Wyrmking Edmun, Duke Edmun; referred to as His Grace as an honorific
Role: Hero, Duke, and Ruler of Gransys
Personality: A fair, lax leader well known across Gransys as a brave warrior and hero in his youth. Though being older than 70 he retains a youthful appearance and holds strength far beyond that of a normal man...
Relationship: Arisen (past)
Originally just another soldier, one day Edmun awoke as an Arisen. Perhaps it was coincidence, perhaps fate, but just days later, a dragon attacked Gransys. Fulfilling his role as an Arisen, Edmun enlisted a number of pawns and set out to face the dragon. The epic battle that followed would be celebrated in song for generations to come, for unlike so many before him, Edmun triumphed over the wyrm. Slaying an evil dragon—in all of recorded history, there was only one other who had achieved this miraculous feat: the great unifier, Godking Leonart. Yet now, Edmun too had defeated a dragon. With everyone singing his praises, plus the support of the noble Gildas who had long been his ally, Edmun was propelled into the heart of government on an overwhelming wave of support.
A number of years passed. When the former duke fell ill and passed away childless, Edmun was selected as his successor. None contested his appointment to the position of duke for he was one of only two men to ever successfully complete a Wyrm Hunt. To refute him was to refute Leonart, the very father of their nation.
Having been appointed duke, Edmun took the name “Wyrmking” for himself. This title, a reminder of his victory over the dragon, was happily accepted by the people. Under the rule of Wyrmking Edmun, Gransys has seen a long period of peace and Edmun, with seemingly inexhaustible youth, remains hale and healthy to this day. (Edmun's Tale).
|It is later discovered that Duke Edmun did not in fact slay the Dragon all those years ago, but instead made a deal by sacrificing the woman he loved, Lenore. This is also why the Duke has not aged in over fifty years: his heart still belongs to the Dragon, thus making him immortal.
Once you defeat the Dragon, Edmun's heart will return to his body, causing his immortality to disappear. This causes him to turn old as his actual years catch up to him. When you meet him again after defeating the Dragon, he believes you have sacrificed your own beloved in order to take his throne and will attack you. Upon beating him, he'll summon his guards and brand you a traitor, calling you the Dragon's minion.
As to why the Duke's pawns are never found, it is speculated...
Neither of these theories are supported, whatsovever, by any in-game evidence.
- "Heed this well, Arisen: To challenge the dragon is to challenge Edmun Dragonsbane. It will not stand."
During Come to Court
- "All through my reign, I foresaw the coming of this danger. And so I gathered men into armies, stones into strongholds. I readied for war. And then you, Arisen... You came to us, and the dragon with you. Pray, think on the meaning of that, and on your duty."
- "Carry on in your endeavors for the duchy, Arisen. As long as you've the will to fight, I shall see you are granted the opportunity."
- "If it is work you want, seek Aldous."
- Should Edmun be attacked, he will retaliate with Dragon's Maw which will bring the Arisen down to near death and stun the player long enough for the guards to capture and throw the Arisen into the Dungeon.
- His attack can also kill Ser Elthar, the Treasury guard (who is unaffected by normal attacks).
- It is possible to slay Edmun either with a Maker's Finger or via Poisoning. He is immune to a Maker's Finger if seated in his ducal throne; he must stand in order for it to have its normal effect.
- His only currently known loot is a random Inclination Elixir.
- Iola states that Edmun and herself are around the same age.
- With his parting words to the Arisen, one can infer that he will not tolerate nor does he truly approve of facing the dragon. Either that, or he believes that the Arisen stands not a chance against the dragon. On the other hand, he also says "Damn the lot of those zealots, and damn me for allowing them this far," so he is aware of the consequences of isolating himself in the Castle after his 'defeat' of the Dragon.
- Edmun is one of few non-romanceable NPCs. He will accept gifts and react accordingly, but will never be captured by The Dragon. He does, however, have an escort quest - Avenue of Escape
- Vulnerable to all debilitations (Blind, Tarred, Torpor, Poison, Lowered Strength, etc.). Use the appropriate Aneled or Rusted Weapon to inflict the desired debilitation.
- Even when Blinded, the Duke can somehow still locate and strike the Arisen.
- The Arisen may simply Perfect Block the Duke's strikes to win the "duel".