- "Respected ruler of all Gransys. In his youth, he was dubbed a hero when he repelled the dragon. For that, he was also given the name 'Dragonsbane'."
Name: Edmun Dragonsbane
Body Type: Regal
Also known as: Wyrmking Edmun, Duke Edmun; referred to as His Grace as an honorific
Role: Hero, Duke, and Ruler of Gransys
Personality: A fair, lax leader well known across Gransys as a brave warrior and hero in his youth. Though being older than 70 he retains a youthful appearance and holds strength far beyond that of a normal man...
Relationship: Arisen (past)
It is later discovered that Duke Edmun did not in fact slay the Dragon all those years ago, but instead made a deal by sacrificing the woman he loved, Lenore. This is also why the Duke has not aged in over fifty years: his heart still belongs to the Dragon, thus making him immortal.
Once you defeat the Dragon, Edmun's heart will return to his body, ending his immortality, and causing him to age rapidly as his actual years catch up to him.
When you meet him again, after defeating the Dragon, during the quest A Warm Welcome, he believes you have sacrificed your own beloved in the same way he did, paranoidly suggesting you wish to take his throne. He becomes aggressive and will attack you. Upon beating him, he'll summon his guards and brand you a traitor, calling you the Dragon's minion.
Edmun's pawn is never seen, nor does there seem to be any record of it. Furthermore Pawns are forbidden to enter the Demesne, which some take as being suspicious (though most people of Gransys will also never be admitted to the Duke's close quarters.)
- It may be that the duke has forbidden pawns from entering the castle ... for then he will be cruelly reminded of the sacrifice he made against a Dragon he believed he could not defeat. alternatively it may be that pawns will know of his betrayal, or that he fears such a thing.
- The ending, Solitude, obtained if the Arisen also accepts the Dragon's bargain, shows them enthroned, in the Duke's Demense, but totally alone, even their pawn is gone - it seems likely that the Arisen loses all power to summon pawns if they take the Dragon's bargain.
- It has be speculated that Lenore was both his beloved and pawn, and that by sacrificing her he lost the remainder of his soul. A simpler explanation is that Lenore was his human beloved, and a separate person to his pawn.
- "Heed this well, Arisen: To challenge the dragon is to challenge Edmun Dragonsbane. It will not stand."
During Come to Court
- "All through my reign, I foresaw the coming of this danger. And so I gathered men into armies, stones into strongholds. I readied for war. And then you, Arisen... You came to us, and the dragon with you. Pray, think on the meaning of that, and on your duty."
- "Carry on in your endeavors for the duchy, Arisen. As long as you've the will to fight, I shall see you are granted the opportunity."
- "If it is work you want, seek Aldous."
- If the Arisen chooses the ending Solitude they end in the same position as the Duke.
- Should Edmun be attacked, he will retaliate with Dragon's Maw which will bring the Arisen down to near death and stun the player long enough for the guards to capture and throw the Arisen into the Dungeon.
- His attack can also kill Ser Elthar, the Treasury guard (who is unaffected by normal attacks).
- It is possible to slay Edmun either with a Maker's Finger or via Poisoning. He is immune to a Maker's Finger if seated in his ducal throne; he must stand in order for it to have its normal effect.
- His only currently known loot is a random Inclination Elixir.
- Iola states that Edmun and herself are around the same age.
- With his parting words to the Arisen, one can infer that he will not tolerate nor does he truly approve of facing the dragon. Either that, or he believes that the Arisen stands not a chance against the dragon. On the other hand, he also says "Damn the lot of those zealots, and damn me for allowing them this far," so he is aware of the consequences of isolating himself in the Castle after his 'defeat' of the Dragon.
- Edmun is one of few non-romanceable NPCs. He will accept gifts and react accordingly, but will never be captured by The Dragon. He does, however, have an escort quest - Avenue of Escape
- Vulnerable to all debilitations (Blind, Tarred, Torpor, Poison, Lowered Strength, etc.).
- Even when Blinded, the Duke can somehow still locate and strike the Arisen.
- The Arisen may simply Perfect Block the Duke's strikes to win the "duel".