Wielding a sword and shield, fighters stand in the fray of combat. Their primary role is group protection, drawing enemy attention away from the defensively inept pawns in your party while dishing out heavy damage. Fighters do not have any ranged abilities and are therefore forced into strategic game play, pulling and taunting foes out of reach. They must bide their
time until the perfect moment to strike. Fighters excel at ground
combat and are a deadly class to be reckoned with.
Primary Weapon: Sword
Secondary Weapon: Shield
Primary Offensive stat: Strength
Strengths and RoleEdit
Solid Defender: Fighters offer a variety of defensive abilities with their shield that allow them to serve as veritable “tanks” for the party, allowing ranged and offensive classes to deal damage from further away. Fighter is the best "tank" vocation.
Strong Offense: Fighters possess a variety of deadly sword skills ranging from dashing attacks that allow fighters to quickly close the gap on an enemy, to skills that allow them to skewer enemies and deal constant damage.
Defensive Offense: The skill Sheltered Assault allows fighters to both shield themselves and deal damage. Performing a perfect block will also deal damage to the enemy, while leaving them open to a counterattack.
Combat Utility: Fighters are able to launch allies into the air using their shields to grab flying enemies, making them invaluable when fighting winged enemies. Shield Drum can also be used to lure flying enemies into attack range or to draw melee enemies away from classes that are vulnerable to melee attacks, such as a Mage or Sorcerer.
Highest Defense Growth: Fighters have the highest defense growth of all vocations in the game, which helps increase your character's physical defense after leveling a few times in it.
Low Magick Defense: A down side to their above average defense is their low magick defense. Such attacks are best avoided altogether by sprinting or using Burst Strike
Short Range: Fighters have trouble hitting enemies high in the sky or at any distance further than Burst Strike. Some mobile enemies can still stay distant from a warrior or sidestep Burst Strike easily.
Reduced Movement: When using shields, fighters have reduced movement speed, which exposes them to unblockable attacks that must be dodged, including magick attacks. Their equipment is generally heavier than other classes, which reduces movement speed and stamina regeneration.
No ranged attacks: Some critical targets like the Ur-Dragon's wing tip hearts, are utterly unreachable for the Fighter and Warrior classes. Metal Golems can be very difficult to fight as well since the power sources often float in midair, well out of striking range for the Fighter and Warrior. In addition, flying creatures like Wights and the Dark Bishop can only be attacks when they conveniently float down to ground level.
No double jump or levitation: The fighter's weak jumping ability makes reaching some ledges, treasure chests, and obstacles very frustrating.
Total: 80,800 DP
|Blink Strike||Already Learned||-||Rushes the target and visits a powerful blow upon them.|
|Broad Cut||1||200||Cuts a broad swath with the blade while falling back to avoid attacks.|
|Skyward Lash||1||250||Looses a flurry of skyward slashes well-suited to bringing flying foes to the ground.|
|Tusk Toss||2||400||Traces a grand skyward arc with the blade, sending lightweight foes into the air.|
|Burst Strike||3||600||An advanced form of Blink Strike honed to travel greater distances.|
|Flesh Skewer||3||800||Thrusts the blade into the target's body, pinning them in place while raining further blows upon them.|
|Broad Slash||4||1,000||An advanced form of Broad Cut. The path can be altered while executing the attack.|
|Heavenward Lash||4||1,300||An advanced form of Skyward Slash that appends still more slashes to the onslaught.|
|Hindsight Slash||4||1,300||Ducks backward afore charging in to deliver a slashing blow. Using it as an evasive maneuver increases its power.|
|Compass Slash||5||1,400||Spins with blade extended, drawing a deadly circle especially effective when surrounded, Employable while under attack.|
|Downthrust||5||1,400||Plants the blade into the earth at one's feet. Though its range is limited, the force behind the thrust is great.|
|Antler Toss||6||1,600||An advanced form of Tusk Toss able to lift even heavier foes aloft. It can strike foes multiple times midair.|
|Hindsight Sweep||6||1,800||An advanced form of Hindsight Slash that becomes even stronger as attacks are evaded.|
|Soul Skewer||6||1,800||An advanced form of Flesh Skewer that binds the target for a longer while visiting more blows upon them.|
|Stone Will||6||2,000||Hardens the flesh, allowing the user to stand firm against all attacks and take less damage for a time.|
|Downcrack||7||2,000||An advanced form of Downthrust that strikes twice. It is more powerful and broader in its reach.|
|Full Moon Slash||7||2,000||An advanced form of Compass Slash gifted with broader reach and the ability to hit multiple times.|
|Steel Will||8||4,000||An advanced form of Stone Will that remains active for a longer period of time.|
|Legion's Bite||9||5,000||Unleashes a swift, powerful and broad reaching onslaught employable even while under attack. Requires a lot of Stamina.|
|Dragon's Maw||9||7,500||An advanced form of Legion's Bite that extends across an even broader range.|
|Shield Summons||Already Learned||-||Raps the shield loudly to attract the attention of nearby foes.|
|Cymbal Attack||1||250||Unleashes a barrage of strikes using the shield.|
|Shield Strike||1||200||Strikes a blow with the shield that causes little damage but forces the target to drop their guard.|
|Springboard||2||400||Launches allies into the air using the shield. A supporting technique for tandem moves.|
|Sheltered Spike||3||800||Unleashes a flurry of stabbing attacks while maintaining the user's guard from all quarters, except the rear.|
|Shield Drum||3||600||An advanced form of Shield Summons that carries further, drawing the ire of more distant enemies.|
|Cymbal Onslaught||4||1,300||An advanced form of Cymbal Attack that appends still more blow to the onslaught.|
|Shield Storm||4||1,000||An advanced form of Shield Strike that deploys more quickly, shrinking the user's window of vulnerability.|
|Launchboard||6||1,600||An advanced form of Springboard that launches allies to greater heights.|
|Perfect Defense||6||2,000||Guards against all manner of attacks, no matter the properties of the shield in use.|
|Sheltered Assault||6||1,800||An advanced form of Sheltered Spike that appends still more strikes to the onslaught.|
|Divine Defense||8||4,000||An advanced form of Perfect Defense that greatly decreases Stamina usage.|
|Sword||Onslaught||Already Learned||-||Continuous attacks with one-handed sword.|
|Sword||Empale||Already Learned||-||Release a stabbing strike straight forward.|
|Sword||Vault||Already Learned||-||Executes a jump to a higher location.|
|Sword||Dire Onslaught||1||800||An advanced form of Onslaught that strengthens a chain of one-handed sword slashes.|
|Sword||Takedown||1||600||An advanced form of Empale that appends a tackle to a forceful jab.|
|Sword||Controlled Fall||3||1,200||Tucks the body into a tight roll when falling, mitigating harm.|
|Shield||Defend||Already Learned||-||Use your shield to block an enemy's attack.|
|Shield||Deflect||3||1,400||An advanced form of Defend that deflects attacks back toward the assailant.|
|Fitness||2||700||Halves the Stamina consumed when you lift objects or grapple-hold opponents.|
|Vigilance||2||700||Increases your maximum HP by 100.|
|Egression||5||2,800||Allows for easier escape from enemy grapple-holds (Half the button presses).|
|Sinew||5||2,800||Very light weight class increases by 20kg.|
|Exhilaration||7||4,500||While your health is critical, Strength is increased by 50%.|
|Prescience||7||4,500||Performing perfect blocks becomes easier (Five more frames in which you can guard).|
|Vehemence||8||6,000||Increases Strength by 10%.|
- For information on how augments impact stats and how stacking of multiple augments work see the Stats page.
|HP||Stamina||Attack||Defense||Magick Attack||Magick Defense|
|HP||Stamina||Attack||Defense||Magick Attack||Magick Defense|
|Under Lvl 10||30||20||4||3||2||2|
- Fighters possess devastating close quarters sword play skills. Attacks such as Dragon's Maw, Burst Strike and Soul Skewer can easily quell most foes in one to three strikes. Dragon's Maw is a must have skill to quickly decimate a large monster and is especially effective when focusing on a weak spot of a downed monster.
- Traveling with a powerful Sorcerer is an excellent addition to the Fighter's play style. While the Fighter draws enemies toward him or herself, this gives ample time for the Sorcerer to charge up devastating magical attacks. This tactic is especially useful in all large monster battles.
- Fighters tend to drain stamina rather quickly in combat therefore it would be wise to have a large quantity of stamina curatives. Luckily the game provides ample sources of said curatives such as mushrooms which are just about everywhere you will be adventuring. They can be located around trees, in caves, on logs and if you have the gold to spend, you can pick them up from vendors around Gransys.
- The Soul Skewer and Blink/Burst/Blitz Strike skills are very useful for stopping the movement and knocking down any monster up to the size of a Saurian, while dealing good damage. Useful for those annoying Wolves.
- When launched by a Pawn's Shield you will automatically grab any monster you touch, you DON'T need to press RT/R2 to grab, it does it for you.
- Sheltered Assault/Fusillade is a very good skill for attacking a boss in the middle of an attack. It may burn up more stamina but you will be safe while stabbing at the boss.
- Shield Strike/Storm is perfect for breaking the guard of any enemy.
- Skyward/Heavenward Slash is useful for knocking low flying enemies from the sky and attacking tall enemies.
- Tusk/Antler Toss is good at quickly knocking down foes, making it easy to follow up with a heavy jump attack.
- If you find yourself needing better defenses and shield strength use some augments from the Mystic Knight class to obtain them. Fighters will also benefit from the defensive and offensive augments of the Warrior class.
- The Fighter's heavy jump attack strikes twice on hit, which is very effective on enemies that are knocked down, as well as being able to keep the enemy on the ground.