Forgery also refers to the duplication of tools, curatives, and other items at the Black Cat - the majority of items can be successfully duplicated through forgery.
Items can be replicated by Montebank at The Black Cat for a fee. Replicating materials will simply clone them, making perfect functional copies. In the case of items with magickal properties, duplication will sometimes fail and the item created will not function like the original. Such items are explicitly described as "forged".  Forgeries may be sent to other Arisen or given to residents of Gransys, whilst the Arisen keeps the original item.
Forgeries, as stated above, do not have the magickal properties of their originials. For example, items such as a Portcrystal Forgery or Ferrystone Forgery will not work. Some quest items can be forged in order to keep the original for the Arisen's benefit. A forgery of a magickal item will be described as such, like the Wyrmking's Ring Forgery.
Some items with special properties can be copied exactly with no problem - for example, forging Kept Sour Ambrosial Meat will simply create more Kept Sour Ambrosial Meat. Rare materials for equipment upgrades can also be forged.
It is worth noting that many of the quests in New Game Plus can be made easier by having the required items forged beforehand in the first playthrough.
Use of forgeries in Quests
A Troublesome Tome
Giving Steffen the tome Salomet's Grimoire in the quest A Troublesome Tome will result with him aiding the Arisen with Magick in Griffin's Bane. However when giving him a Salomet's Grimoire Forgery, he will still arrive and try to help, but he will be unable to do anything, since the forged Grimoire won't work. The original Salomet's Grimoire is a one-time use Bolide, so it's up to the Arisen as to which will prove more useful.
Trial and Tribulations
The first item, the Gift Ledger, is necessary for the quest Trail of Corruption. The second item, the Chamberlain's Affidavit, is necessary for the quest Thanks Mislaid. A forgery of either item can be used to complete either quest. Please refer to the 'Trial and Tribulations' page for detailed information regarding the two items' usage in this quest.
Forging the Confidential Letter needed to complete the quest The Conspirators allows the Arisen to satisfy both parties seeking the note - Fedel and Ser Gabrian. There are no known negative consequences if this path is chosen.
The Wyrmking's Ring
The Wyrmking's Ring is a useful item in its own right, reducing spell-casting times, but is also needed to complete the quest of the same name The Wyrmking's Ring. A forgery can be given to Aldous to complete the quest, but it will not unlock the magick chest in the Treasury. There are ways for the Arisen to keep the original ring, and still get the Paladin's Mantle in the chest involving burglary - please refer to the Treasury page for more information.
Several items needed to complete quests are useful in their own right - for example the Gold Idol (needed for either Supplier's Demand or Idol Worship), and the Wyrm Hunt License (handed in before Come to Court) both give shops discounts.
Achievements and Trophies
In order to obtain The Knave achievement/trophy, the Arisen must acquire a forgery in some way.
One method is to request the duplication of a magickal item from Montebank at The Black Cat. An alternative method is to obtain a Wakestone Shard Forgery, which can be found in a chest in the roof attic above The Black Cat.
- ↑ Non-functional forgeries are limited to Wakestones, and Wakestone Shards, Portcrystals, Ferrystones, the Wyrmking's Ring, Salomet's Grimoire, and the Maker's Finger - forgeries of these items don't work as the originals do.
- Weapons, armor, and unpurified Bitterblack items cannot be forged (duplicated).
- Commissioned work at the Black Cat normally takes roughly a day to complete, which can be cut in half by carrying Expediting Papers (obtained by purifying Bitterblack Novelty Lv.3) at the time when the request is made.
- Only one item can be forged at a time.
- Items in a Main pawn's inventory whilst lost in the Rift cannot be forged until the pawn is returned.
- The gold cost of forging varies wildly, generally increasing with the rarity of the item. The cost of duplicating written documents is always low, whereas duplicating rare monster parts like a Daimon's Claw or a Bloodred Crystal are very expensive.
- In general the cost of forging increased by half as much again in Dark Arisen from Dragon's Dogma.
- Forgeries of the Bronze Idol, Silver Idol, and Gold Idol may be given to Fournival as gifts, and grant shop discounts, but when used to complete the quests Supplier's Demand, or Idol Worship, won't unlock additional stock.
- Inclination Elixirs can be forged, saving Rift Crystals.