Duplication and forgeriesEdit
Items can be replicated by Montebank at The Black Cat, for a fee. Replicating materials will simply clone them, making perfect functional copies, but, in the case of items with magickal properties, duplication will fail and the item created will not function like the original; such items are explicitly described as forged. Forgeries can then be sent to other Arisen or given to residents of Gransys, whilst the player keeps the original item.
Forgeries, as stated above, do not have the magickal properties of their originials. For example, items such as a Portcrystal Forgery or Ferrystone Forgery will not work. Some quest items can be forged to enable keeping the original to benefit the player. A forgery of a magickal item will be described as such, like the Wyrmking's Ring Forgery.
Some items with special properties can be copied exactly with no problem - for example, Kept Sour Ambrosial Meat, when forged, will simply create more Kept Sour Ambrosial Meat. Rare materials can also be forged when needing to upgrade equipment.
It is worth noting that many of the quests in New Game Plus can be made easier by having the required items forged beforehand in the first playthrough.
- Weapons, armor, and unpurified Bitterblack items cannot be forged (duplicated).
- Commissioned work at the Black Cat normally takes roughly a day to complete, which can be cut in half by carrying Expediting Papers (obtained by purifying Bitterblack Novelty Lv.3) at the time when the request is made.
- Only one item can be forged at a time.
- The gold cost of forging varies wildly, generally increasing with the rarity of the item. The cost of duplicating written documents is always low, whereas duplicating rare monster parts like a Daimon's Claw or a Bloodred Crystal are very expensive.
Use of forgeries to change the outcomes of questsEdit
- A Troublesome Tome - Giving Steffen's Salomet's Grimoire will result with him aiding the Arisen with Magick in Griffin's Bane. However giving him a forgery will still cause him to arrive and help you, but he will be unable to do anything. The original Salomet's Grimoire is a one-time use Bolide, so it's up to the player as to which will prove more useful.
- Trial and Tribulations - Two items can be found in Fournival Manor which are related to this quest, but may also be used to complete other quests. The first item, the Gift Ledger, is necessary for the quest Trail of Corruption. The second item, the Chamberlain's Affidavit, is necessary for the quest Thanks Mislaid. A forgery of either item can be used to complete either quest. Please refer to the 'Trial and Tribulations' page for detailed information regarding the two items' usage in this quest.
- A Lost Cause - While the Snakeskin Purse is technically a material, it helps to have a copy of it. The Bandit's Mask, for example, needs a Snakeskin Purse to be enhanced to three stars.
- A Token of Esteem / The Secret Admirer - Forging Maul's Badge of Amity and Ophis' Badge of Amity will allow you to complete these quests whilst keeping the badges.
- The Wyrm Hunt Quests - After completing the Wyrm Hunt Quests, the Arisen will be asked to return their Wyrm Hunt License. Considering it grants a discount, it is recommended to make a copy before handing it over.
- Escort Duty / Idol Worship - The Gold Idol acquired from Escort Duty can be forged. Giving a forgery to Caxton or Madeleine should NOT be done, as it will not expand their equipment inventory like a real Gold Idol. Instead, give either of them the real idol (Caxton is recommended first), then give the Silver Idol to the other for the best results. Forging the Gold Idol is stilll highly recommended as a Gold Idol Forgery still provides a 30% shop discount.
- In order to purchase equipment from the expanded inventory of both Caxton and Madeleine, it is necessary to play through the game twice, winning the Gold Idol from Symone twice to give to both vendors. Because of his superior inventory offerings, the Arisen is recommended to give the first Gold Idol to Caxton on the first playthrough and Madeleine on the second playthrough. The expanded inventories from both Caxton and Madeleine will carry over to every subsequent New Game Plus.
- The Conspirators - Upon completing the objectives of this quest and returning to the Castle, the player will be offered a choice of taking the letter to Fedel or giving it to Ser Gabrian. Forging the letter will allow the player to give both a letter, reaping double the rewards. There are no negative consequences if this path is chosen.
- Please note that a forgery should be made before Ser Gabrian approaches. Otherwise, if the offer is declined, Ser Gabrian will no longer accept the item. Ser Gabrian should always be given a letter first. After this, the blue quest icon will still remain over Fedel's head and the second letter can be given to him for which he will also reward you.
- The Wyrmking's Ring - Holding the Wyrmking's Ring reduces spell-casting times, so it is beneficial for any caster, Mystic Knight and Magick Archer to keep it. It can be forged, and then the forgery given to Aldous. Later, the Duke will lead the Arisen to the Treasury to open a chest with the Paladin's Mantle inside. If the original is given to Aldous, the chest will open and the Mantle can be taken. However, if a forgery was submitted, the chest will not open and the Duke will assume the Ring lost its magic properties during its absence. It is still possible to acquire the Paladin's Mantle, however it requires the player to sneak in to the castle at night, wait for the soldier guarding the Treasury to walk outside, then go into the Treasury and take the Paladin's Mantle-- a quick escape with a Ferrystone is highly recommended-- so there's little reason not to submit a forgery to Aldous. Please refer to the Treasury's page on how to sneak in for a detailed walkthrough.
In order to complete "The Knave" achievement/trophy, The Arisen must acquire an obvious forgery item in some way.
One method is to request the duplication of a magical item from Montebank at The Black Cat. An alternative method is to obtain a Wakestone Shard Forgery, which is one of the drops from a roof attic chest above The Black Cat.