Godsbane is an item available in Dragon's Dogma.
(POSSIBLE SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POINT)
An almighty, divine blade received along with your returned heart. Has the power to guide the chosen to true freedom.
The Godsbane blade is a moniker that describes two weapons in the game: a black longsword and a short, gladius-bladed dagger with a similar hilt, both of which are designed to permanently kill an ascended Arisen.
The dagger is an inventory item found in the tool section of your inventory after defeating the red dragon, Grigori. When selected the Arisen takes the dagger and turns it to his chest. Pressing the plunge option kills you and forces you to return the last checkpoint. The only time one can use it in a meaningful manner is once you take the Seneschal's place at the end of the game.
- Automatically obtained upon completing the quest The Final Battle and starting Post-Game.
- May be duplicated at the Black Cat for 99,999 Gold.
- Using the dagger will begin New Game + after defeating the Seneschal, or activate a cutscene during the first trial. However a Wakestone must be used as well or the action results only in a death. Using it prior to these points will only result in a standard death, where you may reload your game or use a Wakestone.
- This item is used by many players to "farm" loot in the Everfall. Saving before opening a chest, then killing yourself with the Godsbane and reload from the Retry menu takes less time than quitting the game to the main menu and then loading the game from there.
- This item may be duplicated at The Black Cat for 99,999 Gold. The item replicated is not listed as a forgery and functions in exactly the same manner as the original.
- The item may be used as a gift to other players and can be used in pre Post-Game games. As such it functions as normal in killing the Arisen.