Godsbane is an item available in Dragon's Dogma.
- "Those who arise to oversee the world are undying, save by this brand's kiss."
- "An almighty, divine blade received along with your returned heart. Has the power to guide the chosen to true freedom."
The Godsbane blade is a moniker that describes two weapons in the game: a black longsword and a short, gladius-bladed dagger with a similar hilt, both of which are designed to permanently kill an ascended Arisen.
The dagger version is an inventory item found in the tool section of the player's inventory after defeating the red dragon, Grigori. When selected, the Arisen takes the dagger and turns it to his chest. Pressing the plunge option kills the Arisen and forces them to return the last checkpoint. The only time one can use it in a meaningful manner is once an Arisen has taken the Seneschal's throne at the end of the game.
- The only time in the game Godsbane must be used is at the end of Final Judgement.
- The Godsbane serves as a faster means to "Quit game without saving", generally used as an exploit when obtaining random rewards from chests/monsters etc - using the Godsbane hastens reloading times by bypassing the main menu screen. For more details see Godsbaning.
- The Godsbane may be duplicated at The Black Cat for 99,999 Gold. The item replicated is not listed as a forgery and functions in exactly the same manner as the original.
- Deaths caused by Godsbane will not register in the player's death history.
- The Godsbane serves to kill the Arisen. In ancient Japanese culture the act of seppuku is used by Samurai who failed or dishonored their lords. Although the act differs in execution: the Godsbane pierces the sternum while seppuku is disembowlment, and its purpose is different: simply killing yourself or performing an honor death in front of an audience, it is the only reference in Japanese history that shows similarities.