- "An almighty, divine blade received along with your returned heart. Has the power to guide the chosen to true freedom."
The Godsbane blade is a moniker that describes two weapons in the game: a blue-black longsword and a short, gladius-bladed dagger with a similar hilt, both of which are designed to kill an Arisen.
The Seneschal's Godsbane
The longsword version is apparently stored within the body of the Seneschal and can be summoned once the they are defeated so the victorious Arisen can release them from their duty.
Godsbane is an item available in Dragon's Dogma.
The dagger version is an item found in the Arisen's inventory after defeating Grigori during The Final Battle. When selected, the Arisen holds the dagger and turns it to his chest. Choosing the 'Pierce' option kills the Arisen.
After becoming Seneschal the only option, save living for ever overseeing the world, is to end ones own life with the Godsbane - doing this completes the final quest, and sets into motion the new life of your pawn.
- Discarding the Godsbane will result in it reappearing for sale at the Black Cat at 66,666 gold.
- The Godsbane may also gifted to other players - doing so will also result in it appearing for sale at the Black Cat.
- (exploit) During the final post-game quest (The Great Hereafter), discarding the godsbane results in it being automatically being replaced in the inventory - however each discard results in a copy being added for sale at the Black Cat - repeated discarding of the blade can result in a large stock of Godsbanes accruing at the Cat - though there is no real use for so many godsbanes they could appeal to a collector..
- A forgery of this Godsbane functions in exactly the same manner as the original.
- This item carries over into New Game Plus.
- Deaths caused by Godsbane will not register in the player's death history.
- During The Great Hereafter attempts to discard the blade will result in it being placed back into the inventory. Afterward the blade can be discarded as any other item.
- (exploit) The Godsbane serves as a faster means to "Quit game without saving", generally used as an exploit when obtaining random rewards from chests/monsters etc - using the Godsbane hastens reloading times by bypassing the main menu screen. For more details see Godsbaning.
- The Godsbane serves to kill the Arisen. In ancient Japanese culture the act of seppuku is used by Samurai who failed or dishonored their lords. The act differs in execution: the Godsbane pierces the sternum while seppuku is disembowelment, and its purpose is different: simply killing yourself or performing an honor death in front of an audience.