Godsbane is an item available in Dragon's Dogma.
"An almighty, divine blade received along with your returned heart. Has the power to guide the chosen to true freedom."
The Godsbane blade is a moniker that describes two weapons in the game: a black longsword and a short, gladius-bladed dagger with a similar hilt, both of which are designed to permanently kill an ascended Arisen.
The dagger version is an inventory item found in the tool section of the player's inventory after defeating the red dragon, Grigori. When selected, the Arisen takes the dagger and turns it to his chest. Pressing the plunge option kills the Arisen and forces them to return the last checkpoint. The only time one can use it in a meaningful manner is once an Arisen has taken the Seneschal's throne at the end of the game.
- Using the dagger will begin New Game Plus after defeating the Seneschal or activate a cutscene during the first trial. However a Wakestone must be used or the action results only in a death. Using it prior to these points will only result in a standard death, where the player may reload their game or use a Wakestone.
- The Godsbane is used by many players to "farm" loot in the Everfall. Saving before opening a chest, then killing themselves with the Godsbane and reload from the Retry menu takes less time than quitting the game to the Main Menu and loading the game from there.
- The Godsbane may be duplicated at The Black Cat for 99,999 Gold. The item replicated is not listed as a forgery and functions in exactly the same manner as the original.
- The Godsbane may be used as a gift to other players and can be used in pre-Post-Game games. As such it functions as normal in killing the Arisen.
- If the Godsbane is used in New Game Plus, the player will die just like any other death and can use a Wakestone to revive themselves.
- Deaths caused by Godsbane will not register in the player's death history.