- A melee vocation armor set in good quality materials, best suited to Mystic Knights.
- Armor Pieces
- Grand Surcoat [torso armor]
- Navy Leather Gloves [arms armor]
- Fine Over-Knee Boots [leg armor]
- Clerical Cap [head armor]
- Knight's Mantle [cloak]
- Alternative pieces
The Grand Surcoat Set is an armor set wearable by Warriors, Fighters, and Mystic Knights; the set is better than, and continues the theme set by the Plain Surcoat Set -that is an armor with defense comparable to a heavy armor, with much better magic defence, at around half the weight, with a corresponding reduction to stagger and knockdown - unlike the plain set, the grand set is in materials of obvious quality, unfaded, with heraldry and coloration proclaiming a person of note. The set can be said to be that of a knight, rather than a would-be knight; one one that fights for honor or against evil at that, rather than a hired hand.
As with the plain surcoat set, the good magick resistances, fair physical defense, and low stagger resistances suggest the use of a large shield, and the Mystic Knight vocation specifically. A mace such as the Bloodthirsty Beak or better, with a Fine Magick Buckler, Blue Kite Shield, or Knight's Honor are all good matches.
The set as a whole as much the same resistances as the Plain Surcoat Set, that is, mild resistance to fire, ice, torpor, skill stifling and lowered defensice attributes; and adds some resistance to petrification, curse, possession and holy magic.
- The crest on the surcoat incudes the seal of the city of Gran Soren in two of the four quadrants - a golden griffin.
- The Mystic Knight image in the change vocation menu uses much of this set.
- The Royal Surcoat Set is an even finer armor than this.
In the Dragon's Dogma Official Design Works book a set of this type is referred to as the "Fighter Coat Type" shown with gloves the same color as the boots and no helmet.