Griffins are noble-looking creatures possessing the head, forelegs and wings of an eagle with the torso and rear body of a lion. It is theorized that some strange bird was mutated by the effects of the Rift and was then able to adapt to Gransys, propagating and hunting for food.
Griffins are attracted to bright objects and habitually hoard treasure and gold. Ever vigilant, a Griffin will react to even the slightest sound and is sensitive to any nearby presence. Adventurers should take caution when approaching a Griffin even if it is asleep.
Griffins have a relatively high intelligence for a magical beast and differ from creatures that act impulsively on instinct alone. This is why Griffins have been respected as noble creatures since ancient times. Even in the present day, the image of a Griffin is often emblazoned upon swords and armor and used on the heraldic standards of knights.
Griffin wings can also become electrically charged when flying through the sky, allowing them to employ lightning-based attacks.
Griffins are not particularly hostile or aggressive as they hunt primarily for food rather than sport. They pose little threat to beasts which are not among their prey unless provoked, such as foolish adventurers trying to steal a Griffin's treasure or presenting the appearance of its food.
Information and StatsEdit
|Type||Monster / Boss|
Base Exp of 9,000
Can be more or less depending on a few factors such as:
After the Cinematic of the Griffin attacking the Caravan at Gran Soren's Gate has been witnessed:
|Health||Attack||Defence||Magick Attack||Magick Defence||Weight|
|Dive||Phys||Dives from the sky at prey. May dive multiple times.|
|Grab||Phys||Grabs prey and slams them down on the ground. Continues to do damage until the character forces itself free (wiggle the L-stick) or trampling is interrupted by another party member.|
|Grab||Spec||Grabs a target and attempts to fly off with it, later dropping the target for a large amount of fall damage, which can range from little to instant death. Escape (wiggle L-stick) before the fall becomes fatal.|
|Wing Buffet||Mag||Flaps its wings continuously to knock everyone in front of it down with an electrically charged wind.|
|Bite||Phys||Takes a bite at prey while on the ground.|
|Charge||Phys||Charges at a target while on the ground.|
|Drive By||Mag||Swoops past a target at high speed, knocking them down with electrically-charged wind.|
|Griffin||Rate||With Drake, Wyrm, or Wyvern Tear||Rate|
|Great Griffin Claw||20%||Wakestone Shard||40%|
- ↑ Post-Game Only
- Weak against Fire, both weapons and spells. Setting its wings ablaze with will also prevent it from flying away, and ground a flying griffin.
- Immune to Torpor and Blindness.
- Strong against Thunder enchanted weapons and spells.
- Vulnerable to Poison.
- Vulnerable to Lowered Attack Strength. (The Dragon's Roost shield can be used to inflicting this debilitation)
- If the Griffin chooses to engage the party, the background music will change to the "Griffin battle" theme. If the music isn't changing, the Griffin is likely focused on other prey and may simply fly away. If the Griffin lands on one of the oxen and becomes airborne again, it will attempt to flee. The ox it lands upon can be partially determined by killing the other oxen in the area. Listen for the Griffin's screech, which indicates that it is preparing to dive down and land. Upon hearing this screech, immediately start running towards the Griffin and engage it before it can fly away.
- The head is vulnerable to attack.
Class specific tacticsEdit
- Fighters : Blocking the griffin's peck attack with a shield is necessary for bestiary knowledge. Launchboard is useful to propel allies to an aerial Griffin.
- Warriors : Catapult Blade serves the same function as Launchboard for fighters
- Striders, Assassins and Rangers : Oil Arrows followed by Blast Arrows, or a fire enchanted bow are essential in igniting the wings of a flying griffin.
- Rangers: Deathly Arrow/Great Gamble to the head can kill a Griffin outright.
- Mages, Sorcerer, Magic Archers and Mystic Knights : Comestion and Ingle are both effective, comestion only on a grounded Griffin.
- Sorceror : Bolide or Maelstrom can also be used against an aerial griffin.
- Mystic Knights : In addition to standard fire based spells using Fire-based enchanted weapons in conjunction with Great Cannon is effected. Perfect blocking a beak attack with a fire enchanted weapon is also a powerful skill.
- Magick Archers: Backfire and Explosive Rivet are both ideally suited to battling Griffins
Defensive tactics Edit
- Eliminating weaker enemies prior to the battle with the Griffin is advisable. The pawns may give advance warning of the Griffin's approach.
- The Stability augment renders one immune to the Griffin's wing flapping attacks, which disrupt spellcasting and skill charging.
- The Griffin employs physical and Thunder-based attacks which may cause Thundershock. Thunder-resistant armor and rings are recommended for this fight.
Related Quests Edit
- Winged Reaver. This is a Notice Board Quest obtained from the board in the Cassardis Inn. It refers to a Griffin sighting near Hillfigure Knoll. In spite of this specific reference, any Griffin killed after this quest is accepted will immediately complete the quest and reward the player with cash, experience, and the Gloves of Might, a set of Arms Armor that enhances climbing and clinging.
- Griffin's Bane. This is a Main Story Quest that is obtained by speaking to Aldous and selecting "Aid the Corps on a hunting expedition." If the Winged Reaver quest was previously obtained but not completed, it will automatically be completed when the Griffin in Griffin's Bane is defeated.
- Respawns every 7 days, like the Drake in Devilfire Grove .
- A Griffin appear in three areas: at the Eradication Site, in front of Gran Soren (near the Harpy nesting grounds), and (less commonly) at Hillfigure Knoll, generally appearing early in the morning hours.
- In Post-Game, the spawn at the Eradication Site is replaced with a Cockatrice, and the spawn outside Gran Soren is replaced with a Drake.
- Use of Portcrystal will allow the Arisen to kill three Griffins within six minutes.
- It is the same Griffin that appears at the three site - if the Griffin in seen flying off from Gran Soren it will fly one of the other sites.
Griffin Specific Techniques
- Weak to Fire magic.
- Must experience the Griffin's dive attack.
- Shooting the wings will force it to the ground.
- Attacking the head will cause extra damage.
- Griffin Strategy Vol. 1 Griffins flail before bolting once you grab them.
- Griffin Strategy Vol. 2 Use a monster carcass or taunts to lure a griffin down from the sky.
- Climbing onto the Griffin's back with a heavy group will make the griffin too heavy to fly. This will force it to stay on the ground (encumbrance as well as stature affect this technique).
- Weigh a Griffin down and ground it by loading it up with three party members. The first two can climb on the Griffin when it is on the ground but the third must grab onto the Griffin when it is airborne. This can be done using a Launch type of attack (ie Launchboard, Catapult Blade or Leaping Stone) - the technique is most easily performed when the Griffin is hovering in place in its Wing Buffet attack. If the Griffin does not perform Wing Buffet on its own, provoke it using Shield Drum. Note there is a short cut scene and a pawn comment before the Griffin is overloaded that indicates the pawns realize they are in the process of restraining and subduing the Griffin. In order for knowledge to be gained, the Griffin must still be alive when it crashes to the ground.
- This short video demonstrates overloading and grounding a low flying Griffin with three party members: videos.onsite.com
- Griffin Strategy Vol. 3 Use a shield to guard against beak attacks. This technique is also needed for Cockatrice bestiary knowledge, and performing a block on either beast may give knowledge for the other.
- Striking head or wings to knock the enemy down while someone is holding onto it.
- It is also necessary for the Pawn to participate in killing 15 griffins.