30 Rift Crystals
Royal Orders Quest
"A griffin is stalking caravans. Join the volunteers who plan to vanquish the beast."
Royal Order Quest
Speak with the Volunteers
- Talk to the captain of the company of "elites" Ser Georg to learn of their strategy. They await you outside the southern gate.
Join the Campaign (1)
- Make for the battle site and assist the company in slaying the griffin.
Join the Campaign (2)
- Deliver bait to the company and help them lure the griffin out.
Pursue the Fleeing Griffin
- Trail the beast to Bluemoon Tower and help the company slay it.
- Report your Victory Return to Gran Soren and inform Aldous that the deed is done.
- You vanquished the griffin. Quest reward received.
Prior to starting this quest, consider the following :
- Bring 2 Ferrystones (to speed up travel time) and 3 Skeleton Keys (to open the locked areas in Pastona Cavern).
- The Griffin is very weak against Fire. Hire a Mage or Sorcerer with Comestion and Fire enchantments. If possible, bring Fire Based Weapons (like Ardent Will, Eden's Warden, Scalding Razors, Dragon's Ire, or Sapfire Daggers) to make the fight easier.
- You will be facing a number of bow-wielding enemies in the Bluemoon Tower. Be prepared. Sorcerers are particularly vulnerable to the Rangers, Striders and Magick Archer bandits.
- Bring 3 Skeleton Keys to open locked areas in Pastona Cavern on the way to the Bluemoon Tower.
- Consider stopping by the Windbluff Tower to accept the quest Supply and Demands from Ser Daerio on the way to Bluemoon Tower.
- Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen players may have a Portcrystal to spare. When traveling to the tower during (or prior to) the quest place the Portcrystal near the entrance to the Bluemoon Tower. A previously placed Crystal such as one from New Game Plus or one placed prior to the quest may be used to travel there more quickly during the quest. This option is unavailable without Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen and New Game Plus since the first Port Crystal obtained is the one from inside the tower.
Speak with the VolunteersEdit
Join the Campaign (1)Edit
Slay the Goblins and pick up one and carry it to the ambush point. When walking up the hill a cutscene will cause the Goblin to drop to the floor. Pick it up quickly before it vanishes. Follow the guards and turn left up the hill. The guards will hide in the bushes awaiting the Griffin's approach. A translucent circle will be barely visible on the ground.
Join the Campaign (2)Edit
More Goblins and Spiders lurk around the area. Carry the corpse to the translucent circle and set it down (even a Spider corpse will work). This will automatically lure down the Griffin. Refer to the Griffin page for specific tactical information.
The battle here has two possible outcomes: slay the Griffin here or allow it to flee to the Bluemoon Tower. Choosing to allow the Griffin to flee may be preferable, especially when combining this quest with Supply and Demands. Allowing the Griffin to flee will also enable the player to enjoy the epic battle itself, collect considerable treasure and experience, and to place a Portcrystal at the Bluemoon Tower for the future quest Wyrmking's Ring which also takes place there.
Pursue the Fleeing GriffinEdit
If the Griffin survives the engagement, it must be followed to the Bluemoon Tower. The Griffin will be at full health when encountered again at Bluemoon Tower regardless of how much damage it sustained during the first encounter.
Before leaving, consider the following :
- Vocations with levitation (Mage, Sorcerer, Mystic Knight, Magick Archer) or double jump (Strider, Ranger, Assassin, Magick Archer) are useful for reaching certain treasure chests in this area.
- Bring along Strider or Ranger pawns to shoot down the abundant Snow Harpies in this area. Pawns equipped with Holy enchanted weapons (like Heaven's Key daggers or the Ascalon sword) are very helpful in dealing with the many Skeletons and Specters within the Bluemoon Tower and around the Pastona Cavern and Smugglers' Pass at night.
- If possible, equip the secret augment Athleticism for this stamina-exhausting journey and/or bring plenty of stamina curatives such as Large Mushrooms , Mushroom Potage or the like.
- If concurrently undertaking the Supply and Demands quest, make sure to bring the 5 Ambrosial Meat from Julien. At the Windbluff Tower, speak with Ser Daerio to complete the Supply and Demands quest and get the Windbluff Tower key.
In order to reach the tower, travel north beyond Windbluff Tower. Follow the path that leads south of Hillfigure Knoll. At a certain point the path will curve left and go towards the Blighted Manse. The way towards Bluemoon Tower is found by turning right between the two rocks at this turn. Going left will lead to the Travelers' Rest encampment. Snow Harpies will fly through this small corridor. Sleep overnight at the Travelers' Rest to heal, save, send items back to storage, and start fresh with a new day.
Travel south through Windworn Valley and run through the heavy wind. There is no easier way through this wind than to run (the Stability augment is ineffective here). Slay the three Snow Harpies along the way. At the end of the windy valley will be Pastona Cavern, which has three large boulders up on its first ridge. Shoot them down prior to when they roll down onto the party; High Ingle works well for staff- and archistave-wielding Arisens.
Prepare for a large Bandit ambush as the valley veers right. They include hostile Striders, Mages, Fighters and Warriors in their group, and may have one Magick Archer. The enemy holds the high ground, so try to engage the close quarter combatants from cover so the hostile archers don't pelt the party with arrows. The enemy Mages have limited casting abilities but can and will heal their own party.
There is a small chamber up in the northern-ish rocks near where the Snow Harpies lurked. Further down and to the left is a staircase leading down from Smugglers' Pass. Slay the six Skeleton Warriors guarding the treasure chests. Three Skeleton Keys will open the doors in this small underground dungeon.
At the entrance to the Bluemoon Tower, enter the Rift Stone to create a "hard" checkpoint save in case anything goes wrong. The game will auto-save several times during this quest so create a "hard" save point in case a Pawn falls into the sea or if the Griffin slays everyone.
Enter the gates to find Ser Georg and the other Gran Soren guards engaged in battle against hostile Bandits and two Snow Harpies on the ground floor. Join the fray and head up the tower. Up the stairs are several Skeleton Knights, three Skeleton Mages and two more Snow Harpies. WALK up the stairs and be careful not to fall into the sea below.
At the top of the stairs is a barred door on the left (which cannot be opened from this side) and a closed wooden door on the right. Save the game, and proceed through the wooden door on the right to face the Griffin.
The Griffin assails the hunting party out in the open. Smash the wooden log barring the two gates to proceed. At the second gate, the Arisen may choose to proceed to the battlement path on the right to access the lever on the far side. More Gran Soren guards die the longer this process takes.
After the second gate is open, Ser Westley is being pulled up atop the gate to fend off the Griffin on his own. Saving Ser Westley is optional and has no impact on the quests progression, though it does affect optional dialogue to be later heard from Mercedes.
At the third gate, fend off the Griffin until it breaks down the gate. When the third gate opens, stand firmly in place while the other guards run to the next area. The Griffin will swoop down and destroy the floor, killing anyone caught in its wake. The Arisen and pawns should be perfectly safe if they held their ground and did not run forward before the Griffin's dive attack. Alternately, if the Arisen and pawns bolt together with the guards, make sure the party runs as quickly as possible to the 90-degree turn at the end of the walkway, or the Griffin will send the party falling to their death as it destroys the walkway.
In the next area, take the large stairway leading up to the top of the tower. Save the game again before entering the top floor.
At the summit, the final showdown between the hunting party and the Griffin takes place. Use Fire damage on its wings to keep it grounded and attack the Griffin's head. After a while, Steffen will come to the party's rescue if the quest A Troublesome Tome was previously completed. Steffen has alternate actions depending on whether he was given a forgery-- or not.
Report your VictoryEdit
Before heading back to Gran Soren, be sure to place this Portcrystal just outside the Bluemoon Tower entrance for the later quest the Wyrmking's Ring and to make future playthroughs (or Speedruns) easier.
The enemies encountered in this quest include the following:
- Snow Harpies
- Skeleton Knights
- Skeleton Mages
- Golem (this fight is made easier by using the ballistas atop the adjacent bandit fort)
- It is not necessary to feed the Griffin a Goblin. It can be fed the corpse of any creature. Small Spiders spawn close to the Griffin site, and are much lighter than goblin corpses. Carrying them does not drain your stamina if you are of average weight.
- It is possible to kill the Griffin at the first battle site, saving a tremendous amount of time and resources if it can be slain before it flees to the Bluemoon Tower. If necessary, seek higher level pawns to join the party to aid in this endeavor. However, successfully slaying the Griffin at the first battle site and bypassing the journey to the Bluemoon Tower will forgo the loot and experience which may be gained from the long trek.
- If the Griffin is slain at the first battle site, it's still possible to collect the Portcrystal atop Bluemoon Tower by speaking to Aldous first and THEN heading up to the Bluemoon Tower. The Portcrystal will be waiting at the top of the tower. The doors leading to the top of the tower will be otherwise locked unless the Arisen speaks to Aldous first before leaving.
- If the Griffin flees to Bluemoon Tower, it can be a long venture to reach it. Sleep at the Inn in Gran Soren and rest till morning in order to make the most of the daylight. Bringing Liquid Vim and equipping the Athleticism augment can be helpful in maintaining sprinting speed on the way to the Bluemoon Tower.
- The Bandits encountered through the crags en route to Bluemoon Tower can be formidable opponents at lower levels. Be sure to bring along plenty of curatives.
- Mystic Knights can slay the Griffin at the first battle site by enchanting their weapon with Flame Trance and just spamming the Great Cannon skill (cheap but effective). Even if the Griffin is just hovering or about to attack from the sky, it will crash down if its wings are set ablaze. Keep it grounded and maintain Great Cannon attacks. The party and the "elites" will take care of the rest. Use Large Mushrooms to replenish stamina, if necessary.
- Using the Maker's Finger arrow is the most effective (but expensive) means of preventing the Griffin's escape ... though it may be best to save it for later in the game (See Grigori).
- The soldiers involved in the hunt for the Griffin are all members of the Enlistment Corps and have previously been under Mercedes' command. Hence, Mercedes will have different dialogue which is determined if the Arisen has kept all the soldiers alive... or not.
During the quest, at Bluemoon Tower:
- Ser Loren and Ser Arbel (wounded) are at the entrance.
- Ser Gaspar, Ser Aloyis and Ser Auber appear nearby to fight the harpies.
- Ser Nikolas is fighting a set of Skeleton Warriors on the stairs.
- Ser Josiff is further up the stairs, past Ser Nikolas, past the first Skeleton Mage and right in front of the second one.
- Ser "Unnamed" is killed by the Griffin in the cutscene after opening the door, but he can be saved with a Wakestone.
- Ser Georg, Ser Cyrus, Ser Westley and Ser Arman are the four Corps soldiers trying to break down the first gate. - Save Ser Georg by quickly attacking and beating back the Griffin a fair bit IF he pounces on him. - Save Ser Westley by attacking the Griffin on top of the gate as soon as possible. Blast Arrows work quite well.
Once the Griffin is defeated, the surviving soldiers will be gathered on top of the tower (in addition to Ser Loren).
- If the Griffin is slain before the second gate to the top of the tower could be opened, then the door is unopenable until the quest The Wyrmking's Ring is commenced. That door is not permanently sealed, though the right-hand exterior path where the three gates lie is impassable due to one gate remaining locked; its lever disappears until the game's next playthrough.