Information and Stats
The noble Griffin has the head and wings of a giant eagle and the body of a lion - they are found in various outer locations in Gransys, usually in the presence of its preferred prey - the ox. Though not as innately aggressive as some other abhorrent creatures, the Griffin might ambush a party in the open.
In Dragon's Dogma the first Griffin encounter is likely to be after the Arisen completes one of the four Wyrm Hunt Quests. In the first encounter a Griffin attacks a burning ox-driven cart which had been ambushed by Goblins just outside Gran Soren's south gate. After this encounter, Griffins will appear at several locations throughout Gransys. The eradication of a Griffin becomes the subject of the quest Griffin's Bane later.
| Base Experience of 9,200
Can be more or less depending on a few factors such as:
|Sources: Dragon's Dogma - ドラゴンズドグマ ＆ Dark Arisen (www10.atwiki.jp), the 'Dragon's Dogma Signature Series Guide' and in-game testing.|
|Dive||Phys||Dives from the sky at prey. May dive multiple times.|
|Grab||Phys||Grabs prey and slams them down on the ground. Continues to do damage until the character forces itself free (wiggle the L-stick) or trampling is interrupted by another party member.|
|Grab||Spec||Grabs a target and attempts to fly off with it, later dropping the target for a large amount of fall damage, which can range from little to instant death. Escape (wiggle L-stick) before the fall becomes fatal.|
|Wing Buffet||Mag||Flaps its wings continuously to knock everyone in front of it down with an electrically charged wind.|
|Bite||Phys||Takes a bite at prey while on the ground.|
|Charge||Phys||Charges at a target while on the ground.|
|Drive By||Mag||Swoops past a target at high speed, knocking them down with electrically-charged wind.|
Griffins circle a wide area of land seeking prey - they only land and attack if they sense a meal - generally they will not attack a fully armed party of adventurers.
However if closely approached the Griffin may attack the party - the background music will change to the "Griffin battle" theme.
Griffins seem to target Ox in preference - they will swoop, pick up an Ox, and carry it off to their nest if not interfered with. It can be difficult to get a Griffin to engage in combat :
- Attempt to be at the same spot as where the Griffin lands to initiate battle.
- Lure the Griffin with prey - a dead goblin (or other creature) carried will work - though Griffins may choose their prey randomly.
- Live bait also works - one such tempting target for Griffins are the usually poorly armored humans that seek the Arisen's protection in Escort Quests - they are likely to target the party if they see such a thing.
- Possibly the Warrior skill War Cry will draw a Griffin from distance.(verify)
Once engaged in battle with a Griffin using Shield Drum or War Cry will cause the Griffin to focus on the person drawing attention - typically the Griffin will hover facing them, possibly preparing a Wing Buffet attack, creating a potential opportunity to pawns to mount the beast using Launchboard or Ladder Blade.
Three party members are needed to ground the beast -the third must grab onto the Griffin when it is airborne.
- Note the pawn's comment before the Griffin is overloaded that indicates the pawns realize they are in the process of restraining and subduing the Griffin.
- The head is the creature's weak spot and is vulnerable to attack.
- Weak against Fire, both weapons and spells.
- Immune to Torpor and Blindness.
- Strong against Thunder enchanted weapons and spells.
- Can be Poisoned.
- Vulnerable to Lowered Attack Strength. (The Dragon's Roost shield can be used to inflict this debilitation)
- Most of the Griffin's attacks can be blocked (or Perfect Blocked) including some of the wing buffets : blocking the Griffin's peck attack with a shield is also necessary for bestiary knowledge.
- Eliminating weaker enemies prior to the battle with the Griffin is advisable. The pawns may give advance warning of the Griffin's approach.
- The Stability augment renders one immune to the Griffin's wing flapping attacks, which disrupt spellcasting and skill charging.
- In addition to physical attacks the Griffin employs Thunder-based attacks which may cause Thundershock. Lightning-resistant armor and rings are recommended for this fight.
Pawn Bestiary Knowledge
- Griffin Strategy Vol. 1: Griffins flail before bolting when grappled.
- Griffin Strategy Vol. 2: Use a monster carcass or taunts to lure a Griffin down from the sky.
- Griffin Strategy Vol. 3: Use a shield to guard against beak attacks. This technique is also needed for Cockatrice bestiary knowledge, and performing a block on either beast may give knowledge for the other.
- Weak to Fire
- Shooting the wings will force it to the ground.
- Must experience the Griffin's dive attack.
- Attacking the head will cause extra damage.
- Climbing onto the Griffin's back with a heavy group will make the Griffin too heavy to fly. This will force it to stay on the ground (Character Weight and Encumbrance are thought to matter here). See § Grounding for details. In order for knowledge to be gained, the Griffin must still be alive when it crashes to the ground.
In addition to witnessing these techniques, it is necessary for Pawns to participate in killing 15 Griffins either with their own Arisen or while travelling with others.
More information can be found on the Bestiary page.
- In legend a griffin, griffon, or gryphon is a creature with the body, tail, and back legs of a lion; the head and wings of an eagle; and an eagle's talons as its front feet. Because the lion was traditionally considered the king of the beasts and the eagle the king of birds, the griffin was thought to be an especially powerful and majestic creature. The griffin was also thought of as king of all creatures. Griffins are known for guarding treasure and priceless possessions. (source Wikipedia:Griffin)
- The Griffin in Dragon's Dogma is closest in form to more modern imaginings of the creature, notably John Tenniel's illustration of a Griffin for Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.