Hellhounds are much like wolves, but are much more dangerous and have the ability to spew fireballs. They have far more health than wolves, and are not easily stunned. They can be found throughout Gransys during Post-Game and Bitterblack Isle.
They have the ability to drag characters when they are knocked down and use their maul attack to inflict large amounts of damage. Their fire balls deplete a lot of stamina when blocked with a shield, so it's advisable to dodge them when possible. When engulfed in flames, their bites causes additional Fire damage.
| Base Experience of 1280
Can be more or less depending on a few factors such as:
|Information from : Dragon's Dogma - ドラゴンズドグマ ＆ Dark Arisen (www10.atwiki.jp), the 'Dragon's Dogma Signature Series Guide' , and from in-game testing..|
|Charge||Phys||Charges at a target, knocking them back.|
|Fireball||Mag/Status||Shoots a fireball at a target, knocking them down with a chance of also causing burning. If the fireball hits the floor, it explodes causing area damage and knockdown. Hellhounds will always spam this attack if their target is not on the same level of elevation as them.|
|Grab and Drag||Phys/Spec||Grabs a character who has been knocked to the floor and drags them a fair distance away, dealing constant damage. It then proceeds to deal significant damage through a series of biting attacks that continue until the character is dead or freed (wiggle L-stick). Other Hellhounds can join in on the attack, increasing the damage and likelihood of death. They can also drag characters off a nearby cliff to instantly kill them.|
|Fire Cloak||Mag/Spec||Cloaks itself in flames, causing all of its attacks to deal fire damage as well as increasing the damage of the fireball attack. Also occurs instantly when a hellhound is hit with a fire-based attack.|
|Grab and Bite||Phys||Bites a character's leg and holds them in place, mauling them continuously until freed by wiggling the L-stick. Multiple Hellhounds can join in on this attack, dealing severe damage.|
- Strong against Fire enchanted weapons and spells; Fire also increases Hellhound aggression.
- Weak against Holy and Ice enchanted weapons and spells.
- Vulnerable to Torpor, Tarred, and Poison.
- WhenTarred, Hellhounds will attempt to physically shake off the oil from their hides when Tarred, during which time they are vulnerable to attacks and unable to mount a viable offense. Employ this tactic to keep them perpetually debilitated and vulnerable.
- Resistant to Blindness
- Class specific
- Fighters: Burst Strike is effective against the fast moving Hellhounds. Antler Toss will knock them into the air and allow for follow up attacks. Fate Skewer will impale them and inflict massive damage.
- Striders: Ensnare/Implicate can easily bring several Hellhounds to the ground for follow up attacks or grapples. Cutting Wind is effective against all fast moving enemies.
- Magic Archers: Sixfold Bolt and Hunter Bolt will cause much damage and almost always freezes them. Equip the Staff and use a Holy- or Ice-buffed Focused Bolt.
- Mystic Knights: Ruinous/Perilous Sigil will stop a Hellhound's approach and help keep it at bay. Equip the Staff and use a Holy- or Ice-buffed Focused Bolt, which can one-shot them with a sufficiently high magick stat. Perfect Blocking the Hellhound's lunge or fireball with an Ice or Holy-buffed Riposte is also extremely effective.
- Sorcerers: High Maelstrom will suck up and annihilate light weight creatures like Hellhounds. A Holy or Ice-buffed Focused Bolt is very effective. High Bolide can inflict decent damage to a Hellhound, but as a Fire-based spell it will ignite them if they survive the meteor impact. Holy or Ice-buffed Focused Bolts will one-shot them with a sufficiently high magick stat.
- Hellhound fireballs and pounces have high chance of causing knockdown, which is usually followed up by the Hellhound drag.
- One way to avoid getting dragged by Hellhounds is to use Instant Reset whenever the Arisen gets hit or knocked down. This skill can also be used to avoid other follow-up attacks like the Eliminator's instant death stomp and the Grimgoblin group stomp.
- Hellhound lunges and fireballs can be easily blocked and perfect blocked.
- Do not attempt to attack them with fire attacks. It does little damage and causes them to instantly become cloaked in fire, making them even more dangerous.
- Refrain from keeping Hellhounds tightly grouped together, as they may accidentally ignite one another with their fireballs, and a pack of fire-cloaked Hellhounds can very quickly turn a battle into a nightmare.
- Beware their flanking maneuvers, as they will often spew their fireballs from out of the Arisen's camera view. Keep moving around to avoid unseen fireballs coming from off-camera flanks.
- Weak to Holy.
- Weak to Ice.
- Using Fire based attacks will cause them to instantly become cloaked in flames, but this grants knowledge.
- Dousing them with Water is essential as it affects Hellhounds differently than other Wolfkin in that it extinguishes their flame cloaks.
In addition to witnessing these techniques, it is necessary for Pawns to participate in killing 150 Hellhounds either with their own Arisen or while travelling with others.