Hellhounds spew fireballs, grab and drag knocked down characters a fair distance away, and use their maul attack to inflict large amounts of damage. When engulfed in flames, their bites cause additional Fire damage.
| Base Experience of 1280
Can be more or less depending on a few factors such as:
|Sources: Dragon's Dogma - ドラゴンズドグマ ＆ Dark Arisen (www10.atwiki.jp), the 'Dragon's Dogma Signature Series Guide' and in-game testing.|
|Charge||Phys||Charges at a target, knocking them back.|
|Fireball||Mag/Status||Shoots a fireball at a target, knocking them down with a chance of also causing burning. If the fireball hits the floor, it explodes causing area damage and knockdown. Hellhounds will always spam this attack if their target is not on the same level of elevation as them.|
|Grab and Drag||Phys/Spec||Grabs a target who has been knocked to the floor and drags them a fair distance away, dealing constant damage. It then proceeds to deal significant damage through a series of biting attacks that continue until the character is dead or freed (wiggle L-stick). Other Hellhounds can join in on the attack, increasing the damage and likelihood of death. They can also drag characters off a nearby cliff to instantly kill them.|
|Fire Cloak||Mag/Spec||Cloaks itself in flames, causing all of its attacks to deal fire damage as well as increasing the damage of the fireball attack. Also occurs instantly when a Hellhound is hit with a fire-based attack.|
|Grab and Bite||Phys||Bites a character's leg and holds them in place, mauling them continuously until freed by wiggling the L-stick. Multiple Hellhounds can join in on this attack, dealing severe damage.|
- Strong against Fire enchanted weapons and spells; Fire also increases their aggression.
- Weak against Holy and Ice enchanted weapons and spells.
- Vulnerable to Torpor, Tarred, and Poison.
- When Tarred, Hellhounds will attempt to shake off the oil from their hides, during which time they are vulnerable to attacks and unable to mount a viable offense. Employ this tactic to keep them perpetually debilitated and vulnerable.
- Resistant to Blindness
- Class specific
- Fighters: Burst Strike is effective against the fast moving Hellhounds.
- Striders: Ensnare/Implicate can easily bring several Hellhounds to the ground for follow up attacks or grapples. Cutting Wind is effective against all fast moving enemies.
- Magick Archers: Sixfold Bolt will almost always freeze them.
- Mystic Knights: Ruinous/Perilous Sigil will stop a Hellhound's approach and help keep it at bay. Perfect Blocking the Hellhound's lunge or fireball with an Ice or Holy-buffed Riposte is also extremely effective.
- Sorcerers: High Maelstrom will suck up and annihilate light weight creatures like Hellhounds. A Holy or Ice-buffed Focused Bolt is very effective.
- Hellhound fireballs and pounces have high chance of causing knockdown, which is usually followed up by the drag attack.
- One way to avoid getting dragged by Hellhounds is to use Instant Reset whenever the Arisen gets hit or knocked down.
- Hellhound lunges and fireballs can be easily blocked and perfect blocked.
Pawn Bestiary Knowledge
- Weak to Holy.
- Weak to Ice.
- Use Fire based attacks to ignite them
- Douse with water once ignited to extinguish their flames
In addition to witnessing these techniques, it is necessary for Pawns to participate in killing 150 Hellhounds either with their own Arisen or while travelling with others.