- "A messenger has come to Aldous bearing grim news. Head for the Mountain Waycastle at once."
A message to travel to the The Mountain Waycastle proves to be a ruse, allowing an attack on the city by Salvation using a fierce Cockatrice - the Arisen must return in haste and defeat or drive off this beast.
The Cockatrice encountered in the quest is discovered by Ser Rustom during the second set of Royal Orders Quests - it can be found, apparently quite dead on near the fork in the road after the bridge on the Deos Hills side.
Speak to Aldous at the Duke's Demesne to initiate the quest - whilst in converstation a messenger arrives with urgent news - requesting the Arisen's attention at The Mountain Waycastle as soon as possible.
Travel to the Waycastle
Return to Gran Soren
The southern gate will be found sealed, so head directly to the northern gate. Before entering through the northern gate, speak with the guard Ser Laurent and he will bestow a Potent Greenwarish and Secret Softeners.
Defeat the Cockatrice
Most civilians will run for safety, while a few guards will man the gates preventing any ingress to other parts of the city. Ser Tolth, a soldier turned Salvation member is also in the fields, rejoicing in the success of Salvation's plan.
Try to protect the three sets of crates marked with the Duke's Banner on the road leading to the north gate - lure the Cockatrice away from the crates, if possible.
Report Back to Aldous
The party will receive more or less experience depending on whether they were able to drive off the Cockatrice before any of the Duke's cargo was destroyed.
Upon completing this quest, the next main story quest Reward and Responsibility becomes available.
- Secret Softeners or Cockatrice Liquors, the spell High Voidspell, as well as items or spells granting Impervious will be extremely useful in curing or protecting against the Cockatrice's Petrification breath.
- Refer to the Cockatrice page for specific tactical information.
- Experience rewarded is reduced if the Arisen fails to protect everyone in the area.
- Aldous mentions that the Arisen will be unable to return to Gran Soren for some time after accepting the next quest. This is not the case, due to intervening events.
- (Glitch) It is possible to inflict burning etc. on the Cockatrice and it will die after flying out of reach and over the city walls. Experience for the kill will be rewarded, but its corpse will obviously be unable to loot. Afterwards graphic glitches may appear.(verify)