Even the bravest man would surely gasp at the sight of the great serpent that is the Hydra. Black scales that cover its body seem to beckon ill luck and a body that stretches well over a hundred feet splits into four horrible heads.
The Hydra has great size and dreadful strength, but its intelligence matches its reptilian appearance. In the end, its destructive tendencies and various attacks are nothing more than base instinct.
The Hydra possesses a horrifying power that regenerates its heads when they are cut off. Searing the stumps with Fire delays regeneration. The quickest way to defeat a Hydra is by using a powder barrel. When thrown at the right moment, one of the Hydra's heads will swallow it and then shooting or striking the bulging throat will trigger an explosion. If done correctly, the head that swallowed the barrel will both take massive damage from the explosion and cauterize the wound to prevent regeneration.
By cutting off all four heads of the Hydra before each can regenerate, the Hydra’s husk will collapse, becoming immobile and highly vulnerable. During this time, adventurers should take advantage of its collapse as the Hydra will take full damage from any attack on its neck stumps, making it an easy kill. However, it will regenerate at a high speed in this state, so one should inflict as much damage as possible.
The Hydra faced in the Encampment does not die when the Arisen takes its head in the early game; it flees. The Hydra can be fought later during Post-Game in the Frontier Caverns during the quest "A Challenge". After the quest is complete the Hydra will respawn after 3 days in the Frontier Caverns like all boss monsters.
Information and StatsEdit
|Type||Monster / Boss|
|Health||Attack||Defence||Magick Attack||Magick Defence||Weight|
|Charge||Phys||A powerful charge that knocks foes over.|
|Neck Smash||Phys||If climbing a neck, it will smash itself to the ground.|
|Head Strike||Phys||A head smash that stabs the ground.|
|Tail Whip||Phys||Spins around and whips enemies with its tail. Has long reach.|
|Miasma Spit||Mag/Status||Sprays up to four beams of deadly Miasma that have long range and linger on the ground for a time after being sprayed. Causes Poison. Poisoned prey will not be able to struggle when the Hydra attempts to devour them.|
Attempts to swallow the Arisen or a pawn; players who fail to free themselves (wiggle the L-stick) and are swallowed, will die if they are not freed before reaching the main body. Pawns swallowed and not freed in time cannot be revived and must be re-hired.
Arisens who are by themselves, meaning no accompanying Pawns, who fail to free themselves will die instantly and do not get to see themselves sliding down the Hydra's throat.
Solo Arisens poisoned by the Miasma Spit will not be able to struggle to free themselves and be instantly killed by being swallowed.
|Normal Hydra||Rate||Neck/Head Destroyed||Rate||With Drake, Wyrm, or Wyvern Tear||Rate|
|Poison Hydra Fang||25%||Poison Hydra Fang||25%||Wakestone||60%|
|Black Hydra Scale||49%||Black Hydra Scale||7%||Wakestone Shard||40%|
|Hydra Gallstone||10%||Hydra Gallstone||3%|
|Rift Cluster||4%||Hydra's Lifeblood||50%|
- ↑ Post-Game Only
- Weak against Fire enchanted weapons (like Scalding Razors , Sapfire Daggers , Eden's Warden, and Dragon's Ire) and Fire-based spells like High Comestion and High Bolide.
- Weak against edged weapons; swords & daggers can cut off its heads.
- Immune to debilitations, except Tarred in oil and Lowered Defense (throw a Skull or use Sapfire Daggers).
- After cutting off a head, setting the stump on fire will delay the regeneration of the head for the duration of the burn, making it far easier to behead all four.
- Attacking a dead stump seems to inflict just as much damage as attacking the other heads. The Arisen can focus on ensuring one head stays dead by continually attacking one stump with a Fire enchanted weapon, and allow the pawns to attack the other heads.
- All melee vocations : Climb a head and slash away as close to the head as possible to decapitate each individual head.
- CLIMBING TIPS: If possible, employ the augments Adhesion (for grip), Opportunism (+30% strength) and Arm-Strength (for stamina) with Gloves of Might (more grip and climbing speed) for best results.
- Assassins : Follow the climbing tips above and employ Dire Gouge instead of Hundred/Thousand kisses.
- Sorcerers : High Gicel or High Bolide can both cut off multiple heads. Cast High Fulmination or High Brontide and let the Hydra eat you; when the spell is interrupted, the discharge of Levin when it ends can cut the Hydra's head off and force your Arisen's regurgitation.
- Mages : High Comestion is the most effective spell against a Hydra. Or for fun, cast High/Grand Brontide and wait for a head to eat you. This will interrupt the spell and unleash multiple tongues of lightning into the Hydra's mouth. This can effectively cut off the head that swallowed the Arisen. Even if it fails to cut off the head, the Arisen is at least regurgitated.
Tactics (Defensive) Edit
- The primary general defensive strategy in Dragon's Dogma is to first eliminate all lesser, distracting enemies before engaging the biggest threat. From the start, shoot down the flying creatures, sniper the magic users from afar, chase down the wolf packs, etc before tackling the huge behemoths. Pawns generally focus on the largest threat and get picked apart by the support enemies which distract or debilitate them. So even if the Arisen has to run all the way up and down the map to accomplish this objective, KILL THE SUPPORT ENEMIES FIRST, THEN TACKLE THE BIGGEST THREAT LAST.
- Avoid the tail area. Striking the tail inflicts no damage, but the tail whip can inflict great harm to the Arisen and knock them down.
Hydra Specific Techniques
Undead Class Knowledge
- Hydra Strategy Vol. 1 advises using a sword to sever the heads
- Hydra Strategy Vol. 2 suggests searing the stump to prevent regrowth of a severed head
Skill Witness Edit
- Players are able to throw an explosive Barrel in the Hydra's mouth and then shoot the barrel with an arrow. Doing this will "cut" off the head and grant Bestiary Knowledge on both Hydras and Archydras.
- The easiest and fastest way is to do it in The Encampment Hydra encountered at the beginning of the game. Be sure to choose a vocation that can shoot arrows (Strider or Ranger).
- When the Arisen reach The Encampment, remove weapons from Pawns (or release them in the Rift Stone) so they are less likely to "cut" a head off and complete the quest. DO NOT ATTACK THE HYDRA ! Once enough time has passed, a quick cutscene will start where Mercedes throws an explosive barrel to the Arisen who will automatically toss it towards the Hydra. After the cutscene, the Arisen will just need to shoot the barrel in the Hydra's neck.
- Beware that the game will auto-save after a head is cut off and the cutscene finishes (where Mercedes praises the Arisen and suggests taking the Hydra head to the Duke). So if a head is accidentally cut off (a Level 200 pawn can climb and punch off the head barehanded), exit and reload the game BEFORE the cutscene completes, as the auto-save is a "hard" checkpoint save and not a regular savegame.
- This might take a few tries, however this event can be repeated quickly by difficulty switching, (selecting Hard Mode will only restart the player's progress, not the save file itself) but is much easier than throwing the barrels manually. When shooting the neck, be sure to use the Come! command (up on the D-pad), to ensure pawns are close enough to witness the event and gain the bestiary knowledge.
- In addition to witnessing these techniques, it is necessary for the Pawn to participate in killing Hydras and Archydras for the 3rd Star on Bestiary Knowledge. 7 kills each are needed.
- Once the head is severed, holding true to typical Greek myths, the Hydra's heads can in fact respawn. To delay the rate at which it regrows its heads, fire magic can be used on the stump. This is also reminiscent of Greek mythology that fire was said to stunt the regrowth of its heads. Luckily, the Hydra in Dragon's Dogma does not grow multiple heads once one is severed as stated in some tales.
- It takes 1 minute and 40 seconds for the Hydra to slide a swallowed Arisen or pawn to its main body. Also, the swallowed Arisen or pawn will go through five stages before he or she reaches the Hydra's main body.
- It is worth noting that the Hydra encounter in the Encampment will attempt to swallow the soldiers there, who will not be able to free themselves like an Arisen or pawn being swallowed while affected by poison. The swallowed soldier will quickly slide down the Hydra's throat. The Hydra in the Frontier Caverns will also attempt to swallow the goblins there. Unlike the soldiers in the Encampment, the goblins have the chance to free themselves, but they will always fail. The swallowed goblin will disappear immediately after the hydra swallows it instead of sliding through its throat.