There are three ways to escape jail:
- Bribe the Guard 5,000 gold to set the player free. If the player has less than 5,000 gold, then Ser Jakob will take it all.
- If the player has a Skeleton Key in their personal inventory, it may use it to escape. This key must must have been in the player's possession at the time of capture.
- Wait 48 minutes in real time. Once the time has elapsed, the cell door will unlock and open automatically. If the quest Come to Court has not been completed, then this option is void as the iron gate will be closed.
Once the player has escaped from their cell, they are now free to go back to what they were doing before they were arrested; escapees will not be detained again for escaping. There is no need to attack the guard to escape.
- Alternate Route
- In one of the locked cells there is a partially destroyed wall; this leads to a secret route out of the dungeon that is required for several quests, namely Arousing Suspicion and An Innocent Man. During these quests, this secret route must be used, otherwise the player will be arrested and jailed again. Like other cells in the Dungeon, it also requires a Skeleton Key to unlock.
- Skeleton Keys can be bought from Montebank at The Black Cat or they can be crafted by combining a Hunk of Ore and Shackle together. Please refer to the Skeleton Key page for a full list of locations and what materials can be crafted into Skeleton Keys.
- Strangely, being witnessed in the act of a jail break is not considered a crime and the Arisen is free to walk out at will, provided it is not after Nightfall.
- Once players leave the Dungeon it will be morning outside.
- If the quest Come to Court has not been completed when a player has been thrown in jail the upstairs door that leads into the Castle is shut by a locked metal gate. Therefore, the player must either:
- Bribe the guard to effect release from the Castle;
- Use a second Skeleton Key to unlock the door to the escape tunnel; or
- Reload the last checkpoint.
- Quickly reverting the game to the last save point prior to the jail scene loading can avoid jail entirely.