The Magick Archer is one of three Hybrid vocations in Dragon's Dogma. Hybrid vocations are exclusive to your main character, the Arisen. It costs 1,500 Discipline Points (DP) to switch to this vocation, then costs nothing to switch back to it later after the initial purchase.
Equipped with magick bows, the Magick Archer is a class that weaves sorcery into every shot from their bow, ensuring that they always hit their mark. Magick Archers also blend sorcery into their daggers as well, making them a deadly class up close or from afar.
Secondary Weapon: Magick Bow (NOTE: Magick Bows can not be traded.)
Primary Offensive stat: Magick
Strengths and RoleEditMagick Arrows: Magick Archers have fused magick into their very bows, allowing them to fire magickal arrows. The basic damage of the bow will affect Phantoms and their cousins.
Seeking Shots: The enchanted arrows Magick Archers fire are capable of tracking enemies and moving through the air, following their targets. No need for accurate aiming.
Mystical Daggers: Magick Archers are able to weave their sorcery into their daggers, allowing for spectacular magickal attacks.
Elemental Attacks: Some offensive skills are infused with an element and allow for quick access to an enemy's weakness.
High Mobility: When wielding daggers they can have access to the double jump and dodge roll abilities which make them highly maneuverable on the battlefield. If wielding a staff, they can use levitate which can help to break falls and bridge long gaps.
Versatility: The Magick Archer can easily adapt to fight off a variety of enemies and provide much needed support to the party. Each skill available can suit to any of your playstyles. They are also able to wield all elements at once, provided you choose the correct skills, making it easy for them to exploit elemental weaknesses. They also have skills suited to both fighting a single strong enemies and skills for crowd controlling.
High Magick Defense Growth: Magick Archers have a high Magick Defense growth making them resilient to magick attacks. Above level 100 they overtake the Sorcerer and Mage in highest Magick Defense growth.
Silence: If silenced, the Magick archer won't be able to use magic bow skills or magic oriented dagger skills.
No Other Arrows: Cannot use the debilitation arrows items.
Necessity of Magic: Strength of magic bow and most magic dagger skills comes from magic damage instead of physical damage. Physical damage comes from basic dagger attacks and skills
Slow Firing Speed: Basic shot from Magic Bows are executed slower than the short bow and long bow. Their skills are also initially slower than the other Ranged classes.
High Stamina Consumption: The quick execution of some skills and the high use of stamina from others, oftentimes leave the magick archer waiting for stamina to recharge.
Less Precision: Cannot aim for specific body parts on demand. The lock on system is not very accurate on larger monsters.
Permanent Skill Enchantments: While having elemental enchantments on most of their skills allows them to combat any monster's weakness, it can sometimes be a hindrance if you want to deal significant damage with a skill but it has the wrong element. For example, the skill Sixfold Bolt is permanently enchanted with Ice, meaning that on opponents with ice resistance will take less damage from this skill (such as the Undead). Even enchanting your bow with an element from a Mage/Sorcerer won't change these elements, only your normal arrows.
Golems: Their weak spots are immune to Magick arrows. You'll have to use your daggers to attack them.
Low Attack Power: Of all available Vocations the Magick Archer has the lowest stat growth for attack power. 2 for strength and 3 for Magick, which is on par with Mystic Knight till level 100.
|Scarlet Kisses||None||Already Learned||-||Concentrates a flurry of slashes on a single point, easily shredding foes with meager endurance. Use assigned button, then continue to tap that button repeatedly.|
Dashes past the target with blades extended, delivering slashes that can be followed with further attacks on contact. Follow up attack with more presses of assigned button to continue attack.
|Sunburst||Fire||1||300||Kicking downward, plunges the blades into the earth, channeling magick so that a pillar of flame erupts directly ahead.|
|Toss and Trigger||Fire||3||700||Steps in and strikes, sending the target aloft. An additional command then detonates a store of powder. Press assigned button again after the attack.|
|Scension||Holy||3||1100||Imbues daggers with magick before an upward slash sends forth a shockwave. Saps foes' Health with holy power. Hold the assigned button to incant, release it to deploy.|
|Sunflare||Fire||3||1100||An advanced form of Sunburst that creates an even larger pillar of flame.|
|Cutting Wind||None||4||900||An advanced form of Biting wind that appends still more strikes to the onslaught.|
|Dazzle Hold||None||4||900||Casts a firework explosive into the fray that stuns nearby foes.|
|Reset||None||4||900||Returns the user to a neutral stance, eliminating opening caused by other actions.|
|Shadowpin||Dark||4||1,500||Plunges the blades into the ground to form a magick sigil that traps enemies within its confines. Hold the assigned button to incant, release it to deploy.|
|Advanced Trigger||Fire||4||1,200||An advanced form of Toss and Trigger that both strengthens the upward slash and broadens the subsequent blast.|
|Grand Scension||Holy||5||2,000||An advanced form of Scension that extends the shockwave's reach.|
|Magick Rebuffer||Holy||5||2,000||Plunges the blades downward to form a magick sigil that improves Magick Defenses except when facing the undead. hold the assigned button to incant, release to deploy.|
|Shadowshackle||Dark||6||2,500||An advanced form of Shadowpin that extends the effective range of the sigil and persists for a longer period of time.|
|Dazzle Blast||None||7||2,000||An advanced form of Dazzle Hold crafted to impact a broader radius.|
|Hundred Kisses||None||7||2,000||An advanced form of Scarlet Kisses that quickens the flurry, allowing for more strikes.|
|Instant Reset||None||7||2,000||An advanced form of Reset employable even while under attack, allowing for an immediate response.|
|Backfire||Fire||7||3,200||Sets the user's body ablaze, eroding their own life but also causing harm to all they touch. Press the assigned button to light, press it again to extinguish.|
|Magick Rebalancer||Holy||8||4,000||An advanced form of Magick Rebuffer that boosts the beneficiary's Magick as well, save when facing the undead.|
|Immolation||Fire||9||5,000||An advanced form of Backfire that harms the user less while ablaze.|
|Threefold Bolt||Ice||Already Learned||-||Fires three magickal arrows at a single point.|
Fires magickal arrows that seek out their targets. Up to five foes can be targeted at once. Only one shot per target. (Charged Attack)
|Hunter Bolt||Holy||3||1,100||An advanced form of Seeker Bolt that allows up to ten foes to be targeted at once.|
|Magickal Flare||Holy||3||1,100||Fires an arrow of magickal light to illuminate the area. The flash it creates surprises foes and damages the undead. It will explode the instant you release the fire button.(Charged Attack)|
|Ricochet Seeker||Lightning||4||1,500||Looses a magickal arrow that increases in power as it ricochets towards its target. Quite effective in cramped quarters.|
|Sixfold Bolt||Ice||4||1,500||An advanced form of Threefold Bolt that fires still more arrows.|
|Funnel Trial||Dark||5||2,000||Looses a magickal arrow that draws in nearby lightweight foes.|
|Magickal Gleam||Holy||5||2,000||An advanced form of Magickal Flare that illuminates a broader area for a longer period of time.|
|Explosive Bolt||Fire||6||2,500||Fires a volatile magickal arrow that remains lodged in the target for a time, exploding when struck with a blow.|
|Ricochet Hunter||Lightning||6||2,500||An advanced form of Ricochet Seeker that fires three magickal arrows.|
|Bracer Arrow||Holy||7||3,200||Looses a magickal arrow that fortifies an ally against reeling from enemy blows for a time.|
|Ward Arrow||Holy||7||3,200||Looses a magickal arrow that makes an ally impervious to all manner of debilitations for a time.|
|Explosive Rivet||Fire||8||4,000||An advanced form of Explosive Bolt that remains lodged in its target for a longer period of time and causes more damage.|
|Vortex Trail||Dark||8||4,000||An advanced form of Funnel Trail that persists for a longer period of time and boasts an expanded range.|
|Great Bracer Arrow||Holy||9||5,000||An advanced form of Bracer Arrow that bolsters the whole party's resistance to enemy blows.|
|Great Ward Arrow||Holy||9||5,000||An advanced form of Ward Arrow that protects the entire party from debilitations.|
|Sacrifical Bolt||Dark||9||5,500||Summons forth the ultimate magickal bolt at the cost of one pawn's life. Time slows while the user is aiming.|
|Great Sacrifice||Dark||9||7,500||An advanced form of Sacrificial Bolt that boasts greater destructive power and slows time further while aiming. The power of this ability appears to be directly effected by the level of the Pawn, as a lower level pawn did less damage than one of a higher level, with the Pawn level being the only difference between the two shots. This may need confirmation.|
|Ingle||Fire||Already Learned||-||Looses a ball of fire that explodes upon contact, engulfing both the target and surrounding foes.|
Creates a concentrated field of cold in front of the user that freezes solid whatever enemies it visits.
|Levin||Lightning||1||200||Smites the enemy from above with tongues of lightning. Especially effective at driving foes out of hiding.|
|High Frazil||Ice||3||700||An advanced form of Frazil that expands the area of effect.|
|High Ingle||Fire||3||700||An advanced form of Ingle that increases the number of projectiles.|
|High Levin||Lightning||3||700||An advanced form of Levin that generates more lightning.|
|Brontide||Lightning||5||1,400||Wraps the user's body in a whip-like bolt of lightning capable of damaging foes. Attack with lightning with X/Square and Y/Triangle. Press A/X to stop.|
|Comestion||Fire||5||1,400||Generates a towering wall of flame; though only modest in power, it ignites adversaries with ease.|
|Frigor||Ice||5||1,400||Generates a giant chunk of ice that can serve as a stepping stone.|
|Perdition||Dark||6||3,500||Invokes a magickal sigil that curses foes who enter it.|
|High Brontide||Fire||7||1,800||An advanced form of Brontide that endures for a longer period of time and drops lightning where it lands.|
|High Comestion||Fire||7||1,800||An advanced form of Comestion that expands the wall of flame.|
|High Frigor||Ice||7||1,800||An advanced form of Frigor that generates additional chunks of ice.|
|High Perdition||Dark||7||7,500||An advanced form of Perdition that extends the effective range of the sigil and persists for a longer period of time.|
|Magical Bow||Seeker||Already Learned||-||Fire magical arrows with additional properties. Lose effectiveness with distance. Hold Left Bumper/L1 and press Right Trigger/R2.|
|Magical Bow||True Seeker||6||4,000||An advanced form of Seeker that boasts improved seeking capabilities. Hold Left Bumper/L1 and press Right Trigger/R2.|
|Dagger||Carve||Already Learned||-||Continuous attacks with a dagger. Press X/Square repeatedly.|
|Dagger||Two Step||Already Learned||-||A two-level stabbing strike straight forward. Press Y/Triangle.|
|Dagger||Vault||Already Learned||-||Executes a jump to a higher location. Press A/X.|
|Dagger||Roundelay||1||600||An advanced form of Two-Step that appends a whirling slash to victims. Hold Y/Triangle.|
|Dagger||Engrave||1||800||An advanced form of a Carve that includes kicks after a flurry of dagger blows to strike at a broader range.|
|Dagger||Double Vault||5||1,800||An advanced form of Vault that kicks at the air to propel the user in a second leap.|
|Dagger||Forward Roll||5||2,200||Curls forward into a tumble effective as an evasive maneuver. Hold Right Bumper and press X/A.|
|Staff||Feather Jump||Already Learned||-||A light jump. More effective when grabbing to platforms or rocks. Press X/A.|
|Staff||Magick Billow||Already Learned||-||Swing your staff downward to stagger the enemy. Follow-up attacks can send the enemy to the ground. Press Y/Triangle and again for follow-up.|
|Staff||Magick Bolt||Already Learned||-||Launches a magick bolt from your staff. Press repeatedly for additional effect. Can add elemental effect via enchantments. Press X/Square repeatedly.|
|Staff||Levitate||2||600||An advanced form of Feather Jump that mitigates gravity's pull, enabling a gentle landing even from great heights. Hold X/A in mid-jump.|
|Staff||Focused Bolt||6||3,000||An advanced form of Magick Bolt. Focuses the user's active enchantment into a powerful burst that can be fired from the ground or air.|
|Staff||Magick Agent||6||3,000||An advanced form of Magick Billow. Conjures spheres of magickal energy around the user to attack encroaching foes. Also employable from mid-air.|
|Detection||2||1,000||Expands one's field of vision, more easily revealing unknown areas of the map|
|Potential||2||1,000||Increases your maximum ST by 100|
|Resilience||6||4,000||Halves damage done from falling, though it still doesn't save you from death|
|Allure||8||7,000||Doubles the increase in affinity when you give items to non-pawns|
|Regeneration||8||7,000||Causes your HP to slowly return over time at 1 HP every 3 seconds|
|Magnitude||9||7,500||Increases cumulative damage to foes you debilitate with the Five Archmagicks by 50%|
|Resistance||9||7,500||Reduces cumulative damage when you are debilitated by non-Archmagick by 15%|
|HP||Stamina||Attack||Defense||Magick Attack||Magick Defense|
|Lvl 100+||10||10||0 (1)||0||1||3 (2)|
- The Magick Archer is one of the few classes that can actually lock on to multiple targets. The Magick Archer is also able to perform a double-jump, like the Strider and Ranger vocations. They are also the only vocation with an actual lock-on mechanic that is visually present. This as well as the Magical Gleam skill make them the best classes in terms of fighting in darkness.
- With the addition of Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, the stat growth for Magick Archers past level 100 has changed. Please note that the numbers in parenthesis are the updated stats.
Tips and TacticsEdit
- After felling a large enemy, such as a Cyclops, it is possible to heal off any grey health with the Magick Archer's dagger skill Scension/Grand Scension whilst the corpse is decomposing. This can be used in combination with Backfire/Immolation to take down enemies quickly and recoup the lost health afterwards.
- In addition to their listed effect, each Magick Bow skill corresponds to an element, denoted by the color of the charging bolt and its targeting reticle. Combined with the Magick Archer's melee skills, it is very easy to wield all five elements at once and avoid relying on enchantments to maximize damage.
- Depending on the build of the Arisen, it may be a good idea to have at least two physical damage skills under the dagger skill slots. This type of set up will allow the player to have a well balanced physical and magical damage output, since Magick Bows can only deal magickal damage. In addition, this set up will serve as a useful back up if Silenced during battle, providing there are no means to heal the debilitation.
- Sixfold Bolt causes ice damage and can easily freeze enemies susceptible to ice. This spell, if aimed correctly, can one-shot-kill basic Saurians, even at early levels when they would otherwise prove tougher.
- Although all Magick Bow spells can lock onto enemies at certain ranges, the effective range of a spell can be far greater than this limit. Enemies can, for instance, be sniped with Sixfold Bolt past the lock-on point. If struck with the main projectile, the target will still be hit by the additional projectiles despite lack of lock-on.
- Funnel and Vortex Trail function like the Mystic Knight's Funnel/Vortex Sigil, but is more flexible due to their ability to use a living target or wall as a vortex source in addition to the ground.
- Shadowshackle combined with a Vortex Trail in its center make an easy trap for crowds of enemies.
- Shadowshackle will Torpor boss enemies in the circle instead of trapping them.
- Sacrificial Bolt has a wide attack radius, meaning it can be used to dispose or damage crowds of enemies.
- Stamina decreases rapidly as time slows with Sacrificial Bolt. Make sure a premeditated target is established beforehand and suffiecent stamina for the shot.
- It is important to note that Sacrificial Bolt will instantly drop a pawn's health to zero when the spell is fully charged and will return the pawn to the rift without a chance to revive them. This will happen whether the bolt is actually fired or if the bow is sheathed once the charge is complete. Be very careful if using this ability.
- Sacrificial Bolt will also prioritize pawns as shown on the inventory screen, meaning the Arisen's Main Pawn would be first on the list. This could be considered a disadvantage since losing the main pawn would mean he/she does not gain experience at the upcoming battles, that is unless the Arisen returns to a riftstone.
- Sacrificial Bolt and its greater counterpart are Dark elemented bolts, therefore they are completely useless on the Ur-Dragon. It is not recommended to use these attacks as the player may lose the potential damage of the sacrifice for something that isn't really going to do much damage.
- Explosive Rivet can ignite fire-susceptible enemies on impact. This can be devastating if used multiple times on one enemy and the explosion is triggered by a bow or melee attack.
- Magickal Flare can do minor damage to undead and is useful to light an area from afar
- Do not underestimate the value of Great Ward Arrow. It can be an invaluable asset against monsters who initially attempt to weaken your party.
- Combine Immolation with Hundred Kisses when climbing an enemy to ignite them as well as maximize damage output.
- By combining Double Vault and Sunflare it is possible to extend the Arisen's jump further, reaching ledges they wouldn't otherwise be able to reach. However note that they will immediately propel downward and will not be able to grab any ledges, so use when appropriate.
- Magick Bows are not affected much by distance like the Strider and Ranger: