The Magick Archer is one of three Hybrid vocations in Dragon's Dogma. Hybrid vocations are exclusive to your main character, the Arisen. It costs 1,500 Discipline Points (DP) to switch to this vocation, then costs nothing to switch back to it later after the initial purchase.
Equipped with magick bows, the Magick Archer is a class that weaves sorcery into every shot from their bow, ensuring that they always hit their mark. Magick Archers also blend sorcery into their daggers as well, making them a deadly class up close or from afar.
Secondary Weapon: Magick Bow (NOTE: Magick Bows can not be traded.)
Primary Offensive stat: Magick
Armor: Magick Archer have access to amongst the widest range of armors of all vocations - almost all general melee and spellcaster pieces can be worn - only a few heavy armor items restricted to sword users only cannot be equipped. There are three armor sets wholly or nearly wholly restricted to this class alone: the Novice's Armor Set, the Raptor Armor Set, and the Holy Armor Set.
Strengths and RoleEditMagick Arrows: Magick Archers have fused magick into their very bows, allowing them to fire magickal arrows. The basic damage of the bow will affect Phantoms and their cousins.
Homing Shots: Magick bows lock onto enemies within the targeting reticle either on the ground or through the air, automatically aiming with pinpoint accuracy.
Mystical Daggers: Magick Archers are able to weave their sorcery into their daggers, allowing for spectacular magickal attacks.
Elemental Attacks: Magick bows skills are naturally infused with an element (Ice, Fire, etc) and allow for immediate access to an enemy's particular weakness. A regular shot from a magic bow deals pure magick damage, not physical like from normal bows.
Short Special Skill Cast Time: The Dagger and Magick Bow skills of the Magick Archer charge slightly faster than those of normal Magick spells. The Wyrmking's Ring and the Articulacy augment will shorten charge times even further.
High Mobility: The Magick Archer is the only vocation that can either double jump OR levitate. When wielding daggers they can double jump and dodge roll which make them highly maneuverable on the battlefield. If wielding a staff, they can use levitate to bridge large gaps inaccessible to double jumps. Certain treasure chests and hidden areas are ONLY reachable by levitating.
Versatility: The Magick Archer can easily adapt to fight off a variety of enemies and provide much needed support to the party. The Magick Archer's available skills can suit any playstyle. Magick Archers are also able to wield all elements at once, provided you choose the correct skills, thereby making it easy to exploit elemental weaknesses. They also have skills suited to both fighting a single strong enemy and skills for crowd control.
High Magick Defense Growth: Magick Archers have a high Magick Defense growth making them resilient to magick attacks. Above level 100 they overtake the Sorcerer and Mage in highest Magick Defense growth. (Not true in Dark Arisen, the Magick Archer's Stat Growth has been adjusted.)
Living Armor: While Living Armor can be a headache for most other vocations to deal with, the Magick Archer's Ninefold Bolt can finish them faster and more easily than any other skill in the game. As few as 4 shots from a considerable distance can slay Living Armor in under 20 seconds, without a single bruise on the Arisen or pawns.
Silence: If Silenced, Magick Archers will not be able to use magic bow skills or magic oriented dagger skills, however they can inflict magick damage with their bow using the single shot, or switch to straight physical damage daggers (like Framae Blades).
No Other Arrows: Cannot use special arrows (like Blast or Silencer arrows) or the Maker's Finger.
Necessity of Magic: Strength of magic bow and most magic dagger skills comes from magic damage instead of physical damage. Physical damage comes from basic dagger attacks and some dagger skills.
Slow rate of fire: Basic shots from Magic Bows are executed more slowly than the short bow and long bow. Their skills are also slower to charge than the other Ranged classes. Carrying the Wyrmking's Ring and equipping the Articulacy augment will shorten skill charging times considerably.
High Stamina Consumption: The quick execution of some skills and the high use of stamina from others can leave the Magick Archer vulnerable while waiting for stamina to recharge. No augment reduces magic bow skill stamina usage.
Less Precision: While Magick Bows are able to seek out and hit targets reliably, regular bow shots are restricted by what they can lock on to. Individual parts of larger enemies can still be targeted, like the head of a Drake, but the targeting reticle will not lock on to the horn directly. Other enemies (like Gorecyclopes) can flail about and defy the target lock, making the Arisen hit another body part instead. For many smaller enemies, the reticle targets the torso so the bow cannot be directly at the head.
Golems: Their weak spots are immune to Magick arrows. The Magick Archer must use daggers to attack them.
Low Attack Power: Of all available Vocations the Magick Archer has the lowest stat growth for attack power.
Skills in bold are unique to the Magick Archer.
|Scarlet Kisses||None||Already learned||-||Concentrates a flurry of slashes on a single point, easily shredding foes with meager endurance.|
|Biting Wind||None||1||200||Dashes past the target with blades extended, delivering slashes that can be followed with further attacks on contacs.|
|Sunburst||Fire||1||300||Kicking downward, plunges the blades into the earth, channeling magick so that a pillar of flame erupts directly ahead.|
|Toss and Trigger||Fire, Physical||3||700||Steps in with blade strike that sends the target aloft. Additional button presses throw and detonate a store of powder.|
|Scension||Holy||3||1,100||Imbues daggers with magick before an upward slash sends forth a shockwave. Saps foes' Health with holy power. Hold the assigned button to incant, release it to deploy.|
|Sunflare||Fire||3||1,100||An advanced form of Sunburst that creates an even larger pillar of flame.|
|Cutting Wind||None||4||900||An advanced form of Biting Wind. Slashes past the target, appending more strikes to the onslaught upon connecting with foe.|
|Dazzle Hold||None||4||900||Casts a firework explosive into the fray that stuns nearby foes.|
|Reset||None||4||900||Returns the user to a neutral stance, eliminating openings caused by other actions.|
|Shadowpin||Dark||4||1,500||Plunges the blades into the ground to form a magick sigil that traps enemies within its confines. Hold the assigned button to incant, release it to deploy.|
|Advanced Trigger||Fire, Physical||5||1,200||An advanced form of Toss and Trigger that both strengthens the upward slash and broadens the subsequent blast.|
|Grand Scension||Holy||5||2,000||An advanced form of Scension that extends the shockwave's reach.|
|Magick Rebuffer||Holy||5||2,000||Plunges the blades downward to form a magick sigil that improves Magick Defenses except when facing the undead. hold the assigned button to incant, release to deploy.|
|Shadowshackle||Dark||6||2,500||An advanced form of Shadowpin that extends the effective range of the sigil and persists for a longer period of time.|
|Dazzle Blast||None||7||2,000||An advanced form of Dazzle Hold that tosses an explosive crafted to stun foes within a broader radius.|
|Hundred Kisses||None||7||2,000||An advanced form of Scarlet Kisses that focuses a quick flurry of slashes on a single point, allowing for more strikes.|
|Instant Reset||None||7||2,000||An advanced form of Reset employable even while under attack that returns the user to a neutral stance, eliminating openings caused by other actions.|
|Backfire||Fire, Physical||7||3,200||Sets the user's body ablaze, eroding their own life but also causing harm to all they touch. Press the assigned button to light, press it again to extinguish.|
|Magick Rebalancer||Holy||8||4,000||An advanced form of Magick Rebuffer that boosts the beneficiary's Magick as well, save when facing the undead.|
|Immolation||Fire, Physical||9||5,000||An advanced form of Backfire that harms the user less while ablaze.|
|Thousand Kisses||None||Requires Daggerist's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of Hundred Kisses that heightens the speed and number of slashes in the flurry.|
|Shearing Wind||None||Requires Daggerist's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of Cutting Wind that increase the attack range, the amount of strikes, and the speed of dash.|
|Shadowsnare||Dark||Requires Magick Archer's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of Shadowshackle that expands both the range and duration of its enemy-trapping sigil.|
|Flameshroud||Fire, Physical||Requires Magick Archer's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of Immolation that erodes even less of the user's life yet extends the duration of the flames.|
|Threefold Bolt||Ice||Already learned||-||Fires three magickal arrows at a single target.|
|Seeker Bolt||Holy||1||300||Fires magickal arrows that seek out their targets. Up to five foes can be targeted at once.|
|Hunter Bolt||Holy||3||1,100||An advanced form of Seeker Bolt that allows up to ten foes to be targeted at once.|
|Magickal Flare||Holy||3||1,100||Fires an arrow of magickal light to illuminate the area. The flash it creates surprises foes and damages the undead.|
|Ricochet Seeker||Lightning||4||1,500||Looses a magickal arrow that increases in power as it ricochets towards its target. Quite effective in cramped quarters.|
|Sixfold Bolt||Ice||4||1,500||An advanced form of Threefold Bolt that fires still more arrows.|
|Funnel Trail||Dark||5||2,000||Looses a magickal arrow that draws in nearby lightweight foes.|
|Magickal Gleam||Holy||5||2,000||An advanced form of Magickal Flare that illuminates a broader area for a longer period of time.|
|Explosive Bolt||Fire||6||2,500||Fires a magickal arrow that remains lodged in the target for a time, which explodes when struck with a blow.|
|Ricochet Hunter||Lightning||6||2,500||An advanced form of Ricochet Seeker that fires three magickal arrows.|
|Bracer Arrow||Holy||7||3,200||Looses a magickal arrow that fortifies an ally against reeling from enemy blows for a time.|
|Ward Arrow||Holy||7||3,200||Looses a magickal arrow that makes an ally impervious to all manner of debilitations for a time.|
|Explosive Rivet||Fire||8||4,000||An advanced form of Explosive Bolt that remains lodged in its target for a longer period of time and causes more damage.|
|Vortex Trail||Dark||8||4,000||An advanced form of Funnel Trail that persists for a longer period of time and boasts an expanded range.|
|Great Bracer Arrow||Holy||9||5,000||An advanced form of Bracer Arrow that bolsters the whole party's resistance to enemy blows.|
|Great Ward Arrow||Holy||9||5,000||An advanced form of Ward Arrow that protects the entire party from debilitations.|
|Sacrifical Bolt||Dark||9||5,500||Summons forth the ultimate magickal bolt at the cost of one pawn's life. Time slows while the user is aiming.|
|Great Sacrifice||Dark||9||7,500||An advanced form of Sacrificial Bolt that boasts greater destructive power and slows time further while aiming.|
|Ninefold Bolt||Ice||Requires Magick Bowman's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of Sixfold Bolt that fires yet more arrows.|
|Magickal Radiance||Holy||Requires Magick Bowman's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of Magickal Gleam that further extends the breadth and duration of the magickal light.|
|Explosive Volley||Fire||Requires Magick Bowman's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of Explosive Rivet that fires additional magickally explosives arrows.|
|Ingle||Fire||Already learned||-||Looses a ball of fire that explodes upon contact, engulfing both the target and surrounding foes.|
|Frazil||Ice||1||200||Creates a concentrated field of cold in front of the user that freezes solid whatever enemies it visits.|
|Levin||Lightning||1||200||Smites the enemy from abovde with tongues of lightning. Especially effective at driving foes out of hiding.|
|High Ingle||Fire||3||700||An advanced form of Ingle that looses a number of fiery projectiles that explode on contact.|
|High Frazil||Ice||3||700||An advanced form of Frazil that creates an expanded field of cold around the user that deals ice damage to those it touches.|
|High Levin||Lightning||3||700||An advanced form of Levin that smites foes with multiple lighting bolts from above.|
|Comestion||Fire||5||1,400||Generates a towering wall of flame; though only modest in power, it ignites adversaries with ease.|
|Frigor||Ice||5||1,400||Generates a giant chunk of ice that can serve as a stepping stone.|
|Brontide||Lightning||5||1,400||Wraps the users body in a whip-like bolt of lightning capable of damaging foes. (Attack with heavy and light attacks, press Jump to cancel)|
|Perdition||Dark||6||3,500||Invokes a magickal sigil that curses foes who enter it.|
|High Comestion||Fire||7||1,800||An advanced form of Comestion that invokes an even longer wall of flame easily able to ignite foes.|
|High Frigor||Ice||7||1,800||An advanced form of Frigor that generates three spires of ice. The last one can serve as a stepping stone.|
|High Brontide||Lightning||7||1,800||An advanced form of Brontide that calls forth a longer-lasting whip of lightnig that drops more bolts when dismissed.|
|High Perdition||Dark||7||7,500||An advanced form of Perdition that invokes a larger, longer lasting fog that curses foes who enter.|
|Grand Ingle||Fire||Requires Staff-Bearer's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of High Ingle that looses a greater number of fiery projectiles that explode on contact.|
|Grand Levin||Lightning||Requires Staff-Bearer's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of High Levin that smites foe with an even greater number of lightning bolts.|
|Grand Frigor||Ice||Requires Staff-Bearer's Ring/Band OR Mage's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of High Frigor that generates an even greater quantity of icy spires.|
|Grand Brontide||Lightning||Requires Staff-Bearer's Ring/Band OR Mage's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of High Brontide that erodes less Stamina and periodically drops lightning bolts around the user.|
|Magick Bow||Seeker||Already learned||-||Fire magical arrows with additional properties. Loses effectiveness with distance. Hold Left Bumper/L1 and press Right Trigger/R2.|
|Magick Bow||True Seeker||6||4,000||An advanced form of Seeker that boasts improved seeking capabilities. Hold Left Bumper/L1 and press Right Trigger/R2.|
|Dagger||Carve||Already learned||-||Continuous attacks with a dagger. Press X/Square repeatedly.|
|Dagger||Two Step||Already learned||-||A two-level stabbing strike straight forward. Press Y/Triangle.|
|Dagger||Vault||Already learned||-||Executes a jump to a higher location. Press A/X.|
|Dagger||Roundelay||1||600||An advanced form of Two-Step that appends a whirling slash to victims. Hold Y/Triangle.|
|Dagger||Engrave||1||800||An advanced form of a Carve that includes kicks after a flurry of dagger blows to strike at a broader range.|
|Dagger||Double Vault||5||1,800||An advanced form of Vault that kicks at the air to propel the user in a second leap.|
|Dagger||Forward Roll||5||2,200||Curls forward into a tumble effective as an evasive maneuver. Hold Right Bumper and press X/A.|
|Staff||Feather Jump||Already learned||-||A light jump. More effective when grabbing to platforms or rocks. Press X/A.|
|Staff||Magick Billow||Already learned||-||Swing your staff downward to stagger the enemy. Follow-up attacks can send the enemy to the ground. Press Y/Triangle and again for follow-up.|
|Staff||Magick Bolt||Already learned||-||Launches a magick bolt from your staff. Press repeatedly for additional effect. Can add elemental effect via enchantments. Press X/Square repeatedly.|
|Staff||Levitate||2||600||An advanced form of Feather Jump that mitigates gravity's pull, enabling a gentle landing even from great heights. Hold X/A in mid-jump.|
|Staff||Focused Bolt||6||3,000||An advanced form of Magick Bolt. Focuses the user's active enchantment into a powerful burst that can be fired from the ground or air. Hold the X/Square button until the staff charges (it "pops"), then release.|
|Staff||Magick Agent||6||3,000||An advanced form of Magick Billow. Conjures spheres of magickal energy around the user to attack encroaching foes. Also employable from mid-air.|
|Detection||2||1,000||Expands one's field of vision, more easily revealing unknown areas of the map|
|Potential||2||1,000||Increases your maximum Stamina by 100|
|Resilience||6||4,000||Halves damage received from falling, though it still doesn't save you from death.|
|Allure||8||7,000||Doubles the increase in affinity when you give items to non-pawns|
|Regeneration||8||7,000||Causes your HP to slowly return over time at 1 HP every 3 seconds|
|Magnitude||9||7,500||"Increases the effect when you debilitate adversaries with the Five Archmagicks." (Possibly bugged or description inaccurate)|
|Resistance||9||7,500||Reduces cumulative damage when you are debilitated by non-Archmagick|
|HP||Stamina||Attack||Defense||Magick Attack||Magick Defense|
|Lvl 100+||10||10||0 (1)||0||1||3 (2)|
Non-Arisen Magick ArchersEdit
Pawns may not learn the Magick Archer vocation, though some other humans have done so. Ophis wields a Magick Bow, and a Magick Archer is encountered in the Bluemoon tower during The Wyrmking's Ring quest (on top of the exterior stairs, on a wall). Corrupted Pawns in Bitterblack Isle may also be Magick Archers, as seen in The Pilgrim's Gauntlet.
- The Magick Archer is one of the few classes that can actually lock on to multiple targets. The Magick Archer is also able to perform a double-jump, like the Strider, Assassin and Ranger vocations. The Magick Bow is also the only bow with a visually present lock-on targeting reticle. This, as well as the Magical Gleam skill, makes Magick Archers effective while fighting in darkness.
- Because the Magick Archer, like the Mystic Knight, uses both physical and magickal skills, the Magick Archer is not left without skills if subjected to Silence or Skill Stifling.
- The element of the Magick Bow has no effect on the element of its non-core skills, similar to the elements of spells cast with Staffs or Archistaves .
- With the addition of Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, the stat growth for Magick Archers beyond level 100 has changed. Please note that the numbers in parenthesis are the updated stats.
Tips and TacticsEdit
- Magick Rebalancer allows the Arisen to buff the entire party as often as needed (Magick and Magick Defense ), greatly improving the Magick Archer's damage output and that of the rest of the party. The increased Magick and Magick Defense pertains to Mages and Sorcerers and any physical fighter wielding a magick weapon either permanently enchanted or temporarily enchanted by a magic spell. This skill will stack up to four implementations. Note that potions granting the same effects count towards the maximum stack count of four. Pawns must stand or travel through the sigil to benefit from this dagger spell. If the Arisen switches from Daggers to Staff while Magick Rebalancer is in effect, its buffs will cancel on the Arisen, but will not cancel on Pawns.
- After felling a large enemy, such as a Cyclops, it is possible to heal any grey health with the Magick Archer's dagger skill Scension/Grand Scension whilst the corpse is decomposing. This can be used in conjunction with Backfire/Immolation to take down enemies quickly and recoup lost health afterwards.
- In addition to their listed effect, each Magick Bow skill corresponds to an element, denoted by the color of the charging bolt and its targeting reticle. Combined with the Magick Archer's melee skills, it is very easy to wield all five elements at once and avoid relying on enchantments to maximize damage.
- Depending on the build of the Arisen, it may be a good idea to have at least two physical damage skills equipped in the player's dagger skill slots. This type of set up will allow the player to have well balanced physical and magical damage output, since Magick Bows can only inflict magickal damage. In addition, this set-up will serve as a useful fallback when Silenced during battle if no means to cure this debilitation is on hand.
- Sixfold Bolt causes ice damage and can easily freeze enemies susceptible to Ice. This spell, if aimed correctly, can one-shot-kill Saurians, even at early levels when they would otherwise prove tough.
- Hunter Bolt evenly distributes its damage through its ten bolts. If there are not enough targets to fully lock on, the Magick Archer loses 10% of its full damage for each non-locked target for that shot.
- Although all Magick Bow spells can lock onto enemies at certain ranges, the effective range of a spell can be far greater than this limit. Enemies can, for instance, be sniped with Sixfold Bolt past the lock-on point. If struck with the main projectile, the target will still be hit by the additional projectiles despite lack of lock-on.
- Funnel and Vortex Trail function like the Mystic Knight's Funnel/Vortex Sigil, but are more flexible due to their ability to use a living target or wall as a vortex source in addition to the ground.
- Shadowshackle combined with a Vortex Trail in its center make an easy trap for crowds of enemies.
- Shadowshackle will Torpor boss enemies in the circle instead of trapping them.
- Sacrificial Bolt/Great Sacrifice has a wide attack radius, meaning it can be used to dispose or damage crowds of enemies.
- Stamina decreases rapidly as time slows with Sacrificial Bolt/Great Sacrifice . Make sure a premeditated target is established beforehand together with sufficient stamina for the shot.
- It is important to note that Sacrificial Bolt and Great Sacrifice will instantly drop a pawn's health to zero when the spell is fully charged and will return pawns to the rift without a chance to revive them. This will happen whether the bolt is actually fired or if the bow is sheathed once the charge is complete. Be very careful if using this ability. The pawn is returned to the Rift with no opportunity to review, gift or comment, and the default rating of 3* damages the pawn's ranking and reputation.
- Sacrificial Bolt and Great Sacrifice are Dark-elemented attacks, therefore they are completely useless on the Ur-Dragon. It is not recommended to use this attack in the Chamber of Lament as the player will trade all the potential damage the sacrificed pawn could have inflicted for something that does not do very much damage.
- Explosive Rivet can ignite fire-susceptible enemies on impact. Up to four rivets may be deployed at a time. Follow up with Cutting Wind to detonate the embedded rivets.
- Ricochet Hunter is great for tight corridors. Since the bolts gain strength the more they bounce off surfaces, it is best to aim at a wall before loosing the shots. Remember the bolts are seekers so they will find a target even if you're not aiming directly at them. The bolts will not intentionally fly towards friendly NPCs; wild bolts may hit NPCs, but only if a target is not found and if the Arisen has extremely bad luck. Bolts disappear after a number of bounces, so no need for concern unless aiming directly at NPCs in Gran Soren.
- Magickal Flare can do minor damage to Undead and is useful to light an area from afar.
- Do not underestimate the value of Great Ward Arrow. It can be an invaluable asset against monsters who attempt to weaken your party.
- Combine Immolation with Hundred Kisses when climbing enemies to ignite them as well as maximize damage output. If possible, obtain Magick Archer and Daggerist's Rings/Bands to upgrade the skills to Flameshroud and Thousand Kisses to enhance the skills.
- The damage done by Backfire/Immolation/Flameshroud skills scale only with the player's total physical damage. The player's Magic damage value has no effect on the damage done by these skills.
- By combining Double Vault and Sunflare it is possible to extend the Arisen's jump further to land on otherwise unreachable ledges . However note that the Arisen will immediately propel downward and will not be able to grab onto a ledge unless Instant Reset is used before landing. Instant Reset can also be used to chain together more than one Sunflare. The following video uses a low resolution but it accurately conveys the technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE2EAipl9Wo
- Magick Bolt damage drops slightly at distance - though the effect is very minor compared to physical arrows - less than a 10% difference between very near and very far. Some skills such as Seeker Bolt are unaffected by distance.
The Equipment of the Magick Archer in the Change Vocation Menu is: