Each Arisen has their own Main Pawn which they create themselves and who exist to support the Arisen in any way.
The appearance, nature, vocation, skills, and equipment of a Main Pawn are all set and controlled by the Arisen - outside the Rift, the pawn serves the Arisen in any way they can - be it aiding in battle, healing, carrying items, providing advice, and so on. Additionally, the pawn can travel via the Rift to other Arisen's worlds, and there gain knowledge of foes, areas and quests.
Much of what an Arisen can do, so can their pawn - they gain Experience Points and Discipline Points just like the Arisen, and learn skills and augments, equip items, etc. Unlike the Arisen, they lack their own will, and follow in the Arisen's footsteps, unable to have real adventures of their own.
All Arisen must create their own pawn - it is other Arisen's pawns that populate the Rift and elsewhere with willing hirees. The Arisen Savan (from the prologue The End at the Beginning) created his pawn Salde under the guidance of Morganna, and hired another pawn to complete their party - Quince.
Once Call of the Arisen is completed, an Arisen may create their own pawn - here choices such as sex, age, height, weight, appearance, voice, and so on are made. Further, a series of questions are asked of the Arisen - attempting to judge what character traits are favored - this assigns the Pawn's initial inclinations. Once their physical make up has been decided, a choice of vocations is given - like with the Arisen, these are initially Fighter, Strider, or Mage.
Pawn behavior is affected by their inclination - a pawn's inclination changes over time as they adventure with their Arisen, and is modified based on the Arisen's actions - thus if an Arisen oft calls for "help" (D-pad), a pawn may become a Guardian, whilst if the Arisen priorities looting, even in the heat of battle, the pawn may become an Acquisitor.
Arisen actions are constantly a source of inspiration for a pawn, and will be the primary factor in their inclination choice - however the inclination can be set, or reset using Inclination Elixirs or the Neutralizing Elixir. Further, the secondary and tertiary inclinations (in order of priority for the pawn) can be swapped or prioritised at a Knowledge Chair.
The Knowledge Chair allows an Arisen to speak with their pawn, and guide their behavior - talkativeness and manner of speech can be controlled, and inclinations can be tweaked.
The Pawn's physical makeup is a big factor on their performance in battle - just as it is for the Arisen. Specifically :
- Character Weight - primarily affects how much can be carried (Encumbrance), as well as Knockdown resistances.
- Character Height - primarily affects how fast a character can jog - being related to leg length.
- Stats - the Strength, Magick, Magick Defense, Defense, Health, and Stamina all increase as the pawn gains Experience Points - the relative rate of increase of each stat depends on the pawn's vocation.
The Rift and other Pawns
- Main article: Hired Pawns
The Arisen's main pawn can be hired by other Arisen (if connectivity is set to online in the options) and vice versa. Only when the Arisen is with their main pawn can they hire other pawns.
When on hire, a main pawn may gain Quest and Area Knowledge, as well as knowledge of different creatures and foes (known as Pawn Bestiary Knowledge). They do not gain Experience Points when on hire, but instead bring back Rift Crystals proportionate to the amount of experience they would have earnt - these crystals can be used to rarify dragonforged equipment with Barroch, purify cursed Bitterblack items with Olra, repair broken Riftstones on Bitterblack Isle, hire higher-leveled pawns, and have limited use as currency with some pawns who act as traders.
When returned from being hired, a pawn may receive a rating, and possibly a gift. Any armor, clothing, or weapons given to the pawn will also be brought back with them. See also Trading and Gifting.
The Main Pawn can have their entire appearance altered (via the Main Menu) if a Art of Metamorphosis (single use) or Secret of Metamorphosis has been bought. All aspects can be changed, including age, name, and sex.
Pawns will speak whenever they feel they have something to say that might be of use to the party.
In battle much of what pawns say will relate to their personality - pawn personality as set in the Knowledge Chair affects victory celebration, responses to orders, response on being saved, or saving the Arisen, or being defeated. Refer to the Knowledge Chair page for further information.
Some of what pawns say in battle may be inclination specific.
Click [Expand] to show quotes of pawns in various situations.
- "This place must have seen a ferocious battle."
- "So, what do you propose?"
- "Its dark... where do we go from here?"
- "It seems all roads lead to Gran Soren."
- "Remember to save enough for lodging."
- "The path splits..."
- "I do dearly miss the sun..."
- "A boat....?"
- "What an incredible view."
- "The views extends for leagues along the shore."
- "The canyon floor is an apt spot to find ourselves surrounded. We'd best be careful."
- "Given the looks of things, we'd best be prepared afore pressing on."
- "I'll ill miss this dank place when we move on..."
- "Shall we jump? It might shorten our path ...Or our lives"
- "Am I alone in wishing to be out of here?"
- "So many beds."
- "Look Arisen, a rope! Looks suspicious..."
- "Let us light this beacon, if just for the present."
- "Yet there is much to find in these unexplored lands, Master."
- "I'll full search this area."
- "Do watch your funds."
- "A cave entrance hides behind the falls."
- "Shall we rest afore pressing on?"
- "'Tis a portcrystal. With a ferrystone, you could reach it from anywhere."
- "We made it... Thank goodness."
- "Watch your footing, master. A fall can kill ready as any beast."
- "The hairs on my neck stands on end..."
- "'Tis a Portcrystal, Master."
- "Mark your footing well!"
- "Soaked to the bone!"
Looting or opening chests
- "What's this?"
- "This looks interesting."
- "Hm? What's that?"
- "Let's have a look..."
- "This may provide aught of use."
- "I'll take that."
- "Treasure, perhaps?"
- "Do you suppose this dried fish keeps long?"
- "Appears this grocer is responsible for much of the village's provisions."
- "The sea appears calm at least."
- "A smithy, I should think."
- "The Enlistment Corps scours the land for soldiers to man the frontier holds."
Gran Soren (Post-Game)
- "Such a magnificent fortress was useless in the end."
- "A force unseen calls out from the depths. It beckons..."
- "Scholars of the Faith gave the Watergod's Altar its name, not long ago."
- "'Twas a place of worship and training, once, for clerics of the old gods."
- "Or so they say. In truth, no one knows for sure who built this place, or why."
- "A stronghold, here? What could it be meant to defend?"
- This stretch was once a river, ere it went dry."
- "Aiding one another is our only hope in surviving such a place."
- "It looks a rotten billboard."
- "Duke Edmun Dragonsbane is a hero. He slew the wyrm a generation past."
- "Beyond those gates lies the duke's castle, I'd warrant."
- "Under his guidance, Gransys has known peace and prosperity."
- "Even now, the people worship him as their savior."
- "'Tis said he was named duke afore his cavalcade reached Gran Soren's gates."
- "The pawns that fought alongside him must be about somewhere..."
- "But where, this pawn cannot say."
- "It seems no one knows just how he managed to defeat the beast."
- "Bards the land over sing of his exploits...albeit in the broadest terms."
- "It seems the Olra we met was but the soul within another's flesh."
- "Seems her mind is in precarious shape..."
- "It seems even she herself knows little of this place."
- "I'd ne'er believed in the transmigration of souls... Or is this some other force at work?"
- "Even in numbers, a weakling is a weakling still!"
- "Fire works well!"
- "It hates fire!"
- "Burn them to ash!"
- "I must away!"
- "Falling back!"
- "'Tis our chance!"
- "No interruptions!"
- "With practice, precision strikes and enchantment use will become routine."
- "I have it!"
- "I'll grab hold of it!"
- "Leave these to me."
- "You cannot let it win!"
- "Do not go quietly! Keep struggling!"
- "On my way, master! Be strong!"
- "Hold on!"
- "Have at you!"
- "Just wait. We'll see a weakness."
- "Out of the way!"
- "It's over!"
- "An opening!"
- "Don't stop, friends! Attack!"
- "Move, afore its spell hits!"
- "I'll take care of the weak." (Mitigator)
- "I'll leave the weak foes to you." (Scather)
- "The ranged ones are mine!" (Challenger)
- "Any that would target the Arisen are mine!" (Guardian)
Aiding the Arisen and other Pawns
- "I grant you Ice's Bite!"
- "I grant you Fire's Blaze!"
- "I'll embue your weapon with Holy light!"
- "I grant you sacred radiance!"
- "...you'll be fine now."
- "There is no need to be reckless!"
- "A mite old for children's games aren't you, Master?"
- "I'm coming to help!"
- "Holy magick will end its wicked existence!"
Mage or Sorcerer
- "You shall not cast!"
- "Armed rogues!"
- "They're armed, master!"
- "Armed bandits, Arisen!"
- "Careful, a goblin!"
- "'Tis far stronger than a common goblin!"
- "Wolves hunt in packs!"
- "A white wolf... 'Twill will be red soon enough!"
- "Certainly its pack draws near."
- "They're nimble. Watch your back."
- "That's no mere wolf..."
- "Sulfur Saurian!"
- "The tail is severed!"
- "Strike the tail!"
- "Taste my wrath, reptile!"
- "It spews a white sickness!"
- "Shield your eyes! they spew a blinding fog!"
- "Those scales and spears are an unwelcome combination."
- "Bones...Walking bones!"
- "They rampage indiscriminately!"
- "Lightning courses through them!"
- "Swords are useless!"
- "An ally's blow will dislodge the ghost!"
- "A cyclops!"
- "A tusk has broken loose!"
- "The brute is as slow as it is large."
- "Its eye is vulnerable!"
- "Waugh! 'Tis mad with rage!"
- "I'll take its sight!"
- "I've a hold on it! Strike out the eye!"
- "An angered cyclops is more apt to fall."
- "It is wroth! Now, strike the legs!"
- "It cannot hold a weapon with an injured hand!"
- "I'll get the eye afore it can shake me!"
- "I'll see to that club!"
- "Its helmet is off!"
- "'Tis disarmed for now!"
- "It has but one eye! Strike it!"
- "Shall we leave it be? ...Please?" (Meek)
- "'Tis enormous!"
- "Perhaps we'd do well not to disturb it."
- "Is this giant, too, a prisoner here?"
- "The giant has torn free of its bindings!"
- "'Tis too powerful!"
- "The sight of women excites it!"
- "Counter after it strikes!"
- "Take care when scaling its back!"
- "Its brute strength is deadly!"
- "'Tis more vicious than a Cyclops!"
- "Their raw power makes them a threat"
- "Careful, they're fast for all that muscle"
- "An Ogre... Of all the poor luck..."
- "Grab hold and pull it down!"
- "'Tis flush red with anger!"
- "'Tis more brutish still than a normal ogre!"
- "Seems the beast hungers for men!"
- "They attack men with especial zeal!"
- "It grows frenzied!"
- "We've poor luck... Wight's, Arisen!"
- "We must seal that magick!"
- "What magick is this? I fear the answer..."
- "'Tis a mighty spellcaster!"
- "There, floating! 'Tis an evil almost palpable."
- "The undead are weak to holy light!"
- "That spell is trouble... Quickly, Away!"
- "'Tis aground! All hands, attack!"
- "'Tis that fiend controlling the cursed dragon!"
- "The dragon stands again!" (Cursed Dragon resurrected)
- "The necromancer has vanished!"
- "Now! While it's driven from the dragon's body!"
- "'Tis fallen! Quickly, upon it!"
- "It summons more monsters!"
- "Seems golems pay little mind to mages."
- "Strike at the glowing discs!"
- "We must destroy those amulets!"
- "Don't let it tread on you!"
- "Now, while we can get at that disc!"
- "'Tis down! Smash the amulets!"
- "It stopped! Now!"
- "I'll try striking where it glows!"
- "So those amulets served to animate the brute?"
- "How can we stop such a hulk?"
- "'Tis useless! It repels all attacks!"
- "'Tis dangerous in this state, but the amulets grow frail!"
- "'Tis gone mad! Stand clear!"
- "'Tis gone made with rage!"
- "Metal golem!"
- "Metal golems derive energy from an external source!"
- "Direct attack is folly against a metal golem!"
- "Burst strikes will best shatter the discs."
- "There, Master! Harpies!"
- "There, Master! Snow harpies!"
- "Strike, lest the harpy sing!"
- "Slay them afore they can use their voice!"
- "Burn their wings!"
- "Don't let them drag you off!"
- "Snow Harpies!"
- "Snow Harpy!"
- "Beware the harpy's song!"
- "Focus your attacks as it hovers."
- "It bears the head of a cock!"
- "Look there, a cockatrice!"
- "What monstrosity is this!?"
- "It hates lightning!"
- "Seems its talons bear poison."
- "Take care you aren't poisoned!"
- "Take care you aren't petrified!"
- "Petrifying breath! Stand well clear!"
- "'Tis storing its power!?"
- "'Tis dangerous! stay back!"
- "Beware its roar!"
- "It ill liked that! Aim for its head!"
- "No, run!" (Breathing petrification)
- "Strike, afore it flies higher!"
- "Now! Strike the wings!"
- "Burnt wings cannot fly!"
- "I shall ground it!"
- "Let's drag it to the ground!"
- "On solid ground the advantage is ours!"
- "We can wait for the beast to descend."
- "The goat is casting death spell!"
- "Defeating the goat's head makes a chimera wild."
- "A chimera, Arisen!"
- "I'll attack the lion's head!"
- "The goats bleating can lull a man to slumber."
- "We need but sever the tail!"
- "The snake is done!"
- "The goat is silenced!"
- "Hit the lion with magick while it's stopped!"
- "Slay the lion to cripple its physical attacks!"
- "Watch for the goat's magick!"
- "The lion fears magick."
- "Attack the goat's head!"
- "'Tis absolutely enormous!"
- "Let's have these tentacles off!"
- "Beware its tendrils!"
- "Watch for those tentacles!"
- "Waugh! Its tentacles...!"
- "Its skin is tough as steel!"
- "I am bound!"
- "We must strike at its eye!"
- "Strike the tentacles that store up magick!"
- "Perhaps we can use the magickal energy it produces!"
- "'Tis our chance -- destroy the eye!"
- "Mind those fangs!"
- "Mind those claws!"
- "There! Its heart lies exposed!"
- "Now, Master! Aim for its heart!"
- "Quickly! The heart is unprotected!"
- "Watch! It readies flame in its maw!"
- "Seems the heart alone is vulnerable."
- "We must get at its heart!"
- "Strike at its heart!"
- "The heart, Arisen! Attack the heart!"
- "Mind that tail!"
- "We cannot reach it from the ground!"
- "The wings, master! Strike it from the sky!"
- "Aim for the wings!"
- "Nary an ash would remain after that breath..."
- "Its wings may be vulnerable as well!"
- "Let... go! Fiend!" (Pawn being grabbed)
- "Gah! H-help me!" (Pawn being grabbed)
- "Struggle as best you can!" (Arisen being grabbed)
Dragon species specific
- "There, a cursed dragon!"
- "Stay with me!"
- "Open your eyes!"
- "No... No!"
Arisen's revival or a visit to the Brine
- "...Let us proceed."
- "Ah, Master, you're back!"
- "I do not relish the sight of you in such peril, Master."
- Because a pawn learns from the Arisen, it is sometimes advised to give a pawn a similar vocation to the Arisen so that lessons learnt will be more applicable to their skills - this is not a necessity though.
- ↑ Dragon's Dogma Digital Comic, Chapter 2 "Barta Crags" (Capcom, via www.youtube.com)