The Maneater is a yellow worm-like creature resembling the tentacles of an Evil Eye. They are dangerous foes that spring out from random chests to eat anyone that dares open the lid to its trap.
Maneaters hide in chests found in Bitterblack Isle. When such a chest is opened, the creature will spring out, grab and try to swallow the opener.
Maneaters have sharp rings of teeth that fill their mouth and are capable of consuming Pawns or the Arisen whole.
| Base Experience of 10,000
Can be more or less depending on a few factors such as:
|Sources: Dragon's Dogma - ドラゴンズドグマ ＆ Dark Arisen (www10.atwiki.jp) and in-game testing.|
|Ambush||Phys||The Maneater's initial attack will be a grab with its mouth - holding the captured chest opener aloft, rendering them unable to attack, whilst damaging them with their sharp teeth. The only option is trying to wiggle free, or to be freed with the aid of an ally|
|Exequy||Mag||Casts an exequey like spell similar to that cast by Lichs, Gorechimera, and Wyrms. The spell will complete even after the Maneater is slain.|
|Sweep||Phys||Sweeps its long body in a circle hitting any nearby|
|Shake||Spec||Shakes, attempting to remove any grappling character|
|Spit||Spec/Debil||Spits a Petrifying venom at anyone standing in front of it|
Additionally attacks with high Stagger power are useful.
The Maneater will disappear after a time if not defeated; thus stronger skills are recommended when fighting such a beast.
A wide variety of persistent of delayed action spells can be used to protect the opener when examining chests - most useful when without pawns :
- Magick Agent may be cast before opening a chest, though it may not be powerful enough to deter the Maneater.
- Sorcerers may cast a long lasting High Maelstrom, High Miasma, or High Necromancy before opening the chest.
- Jewel of Summoning can be used by all vocations for protection.
- Magick Archer's skill Immolation is useful protection if grabbed.
- Assassins may use Powder Blast to lay a long enough trail for the explosion to happen just when the chest is opened.
- Even Downpour Volley may be fired afore opening the chest - though Reset may be needed to open the chest in time before the arrows land.
- Standing well back and instructing a pawn (use the "go" command) to open the chest is a useful self-preservation tactic.
- The Egression augment makes it much easier to escape the Maneater's holds.
Pawn Bestiary Knowledge
For full information, refer to the Bestiary page.
Enemy specific :
- Weak to Dark
- Witness and be hit by its spit attack
- Witness it casting Exequy
- Witness it swallowing a character (the character may not need to die)
- Damage it with an explosive attack (may not be needed, can be done with Sunflare, Fracture Dart or Blast Arrows)
In addition to witnessing these techniques, it is necessary for Pawns to participate in killing 45 Maneaters either with their own Arisen or while travelling with others.
- Maneaters won't appear in chests until after the first encounter with the one in the chest in the Ward of Regret.(verify)
- In the role playing game "Dungeons and Dragons" a Mimic is a creature that disguises itself as chest, rather than hiding within it.
- The Maneater's visual pattern resembles that of a Blue-ringed octopus.
- When defeated, one can see that the worm's bottom half does not extend underneath the chest as one would expect; in fact the Maneater does not seem to have a bottom half at all. It is not known if a Maneater relates to some large trans-dimensional beast in the same way that an Evil Eye tentacle is a manifestation of the appendages of an Evil Eye.
- The godsbaning exploit can be used on chests that might contain a Maneater, just as with normal chests.
- Maneater, www.capcom.co.jp (Japanese)