You may find many great items in chests and lying about, but you still need to visit the vendors from time to time. Here you can refresh your supplies, ugrade your equipment, and sell extra items that you do not need. New inventory is unlocked at these shops as you progress through the game, based on the following seven stages of the game.
- These stages help you figure out what you need to do in order to access certain items in a peddler's inventory.
|Stage Number||Requirements to Access Each Stage|
|Stage 1||Game start through Off With Its Head|
|Stage 2||Off With Its Head through the first Wyrm Hunt Quest|
|Stage 3||First Wyrm Hunt Quest through Come to Court|
|Stage 4||Come to Court through Trials and Tribulations/Griffin's Bane|
|Stage 5||Trials and Tribulations/Griffin's Bane through Reward and Responsibility|
|Stage 6||Reward and Responsibility through The Final Battle|
|Stage 7||The Final Battle through Post Game|
For the most part, the merchants who have their own shop have an unlimited supply. The travelling shopkeepers have a set number of each item that they carry. For these shops, their inventories will resupply every few days. Not all merchants share the same resupply days.
Completing quests for shopkeepers and giving them items that they favor increase their friendship (affinity) towards you. Items are sometimes unlocked by getting your friendship toward a vendor to a certain level. Once an item is available, even if your friendship level dips below the required level, it remains in the shop.
There are a few ways to get discounts from shopkeepers. Carrying the following items in your inventory or on a pawn gives you a discount at certain stores: Bronze Idol, Silver Idol, Gold Idol, (or their idol forgeries), Wyrm Hunt License, and Badge of Merit. Each item provides a different range of discounts, with thee Gold Idol and its forgery providing the best discount of all at 30%. These discounts do not stack and it is therefore unnecessary to carry more than one discount item, just the best you have.
Profit & Loss
In general the cost to buy and item greatly exceeds the amount gained from selling at all shops - it is therefor practically impossible to make a living through inter-tradinf with peddlers or shopkeepers in Gransys unless one has their own supply.
Excluding the discount giving items there are few ways to change the price of an item. Affinity with a salesperson does not usually affect price, though completing a special task may earn a discount (such as helping Fournival during the quest Trials and Tribulations.)
If an item that you are selling has been enhanced, the selling price will be higher than normal. Each rank increases the value.
|Sell prices of enhanced items|
One exception is the augment Suasion which increases the amount of money you get when selling an item by 15%. If multiple members of the party have this augmetn equipped, the effect multiplies - thus to a maximum of 1.154 (that is nearly 1.75x) If you are looking to make a fast profit on found items, hiring pawns with Suasian before selling would be a good way to do so.
Additionally, in Dark Arisen; having a Ring of Thrift also grants a 15% bonus to gold earned when selling items, the same as Suasion. However this effect does not stack for multiple rings on the same character, nor does it increase sale prices for characters who already have Suasion enabled.however. Only the effect of one Ring of Thrift or Suasion per character will be apparent.
There are some market stalls in Fountain Square, but these have nothing of interest to the Arisen. Furthermore the Alehouses do not currently sell food or drink to newcomers, only regulars.
- As an example Potent Greenwarish can be bought for 300G at Aestella's or 210G with a gold idol discount. It sells for 120G or with four Suasion sale price boosts at just under 210G (209.9G) - a net loss of 1G. Similarly a Cutlass can be bought at Caxton's Armory for 23,600G (16,520G at discount), and sells for 9,440G (or 16,510G with four Suasion augments active) -a minumum net loss of 10G. If the item could be enhanced at minimal or no cost an opportunity for profit exists.
List of Merchants and Shops
- Aestella's Sundries in Cassardis
- Iola's Sundries in Cassardis
- Madeleine the Travelling Peddler in Cassardis or Gran Soren
- Reynard the Travelling Peddler in The Encampment, Gran Soren, Rest Camp, Cassardis, or the Greatwall Encampment *
- Johnathan in The Encampment (accepts Rift Crystals only)
- Caxton's Armory in Gran Soren
- Camellia's Apothecary in Gran Soren
- Jayce the Peddler in Rest Camp, Southwest of Ancient Quarry
- Fournival's Rarities Shop in Gran Soren/Fournival Manor
- Alon the Peddler in The Abbey and outside of The Ancient Quarry **
- Mathias the Peddler outside of Greatwall Encampment
- Akim, Pawn Peddler in The Everfall ***
- Joye, Pawn Peddler in The Everfall ***
- Delec, Pawn Peddler in The Everfall ***
- Devyn's Barber Shop in Gran Soren (haircuts and beauty treatments only)
- Montebank at The Black Cat in Gran Soren
- * Reynard tends to move quite often. This makes it a tad difficult to locate him when you need to.
- ** Alon moves inside of the Quarry after you complete his quest Of Merchants and Monsters.
- *** These peddlers can only be accessed after The Final Battle is complete.