You may find many great items in chests and lying about, but you still need to visit the vendors from time to time. Here you can refresh your supplies, buy and sometimes upgrade your equipment, and sell extra items that you do not need. New inventory may become available at these shops as you progress through the game.
For the most part, the merchants who have their own shop have an unlimited supply. The travelling shopkeepers have a set number of each item that they carry. For these shops, their inventories will resupply every few days. Not all merchants share the same resupply days.
Completing quests for shopkeepers and giving them items that they favor increase their friendship (affinity) towards you. Items are sometimes unlocked by getting your friendship toward a vendor to a certain level. Once an item is available, even if your friendship level dips below the required level, it remains in the shop.
There are a few ways to get discounts from shopkeepers. Carrying the following items in your inventory or on a pawn gives you a discount at certain stores: Bronze Idol, Silver Idol, Gold Idol, (or their idol forgeries), Wyrm Hunt License, and Badge of Merit. Each item provides a different range of discounts, with the Gold Idol and its forgery providing the best discount of all at 30%. These discounts do not stack and it is therefore unnecessary to carry more than one discount item, just the best you have.
Profit & Loss
In general the cost to buy an item greatly exceeds the amount gained from selling at all shops - it is therefor practically impossible to make a living through inter-trading with peddlers or shopkeepers in Gransys unless one has their own supply.
A few combining recipes may generate a profit, such as Harspud Sauce and Large Nut to give Balmy Incense, but all such are supply constrained, with only limited quantities of at least one of the starting materials available.
Excluding the discount giving items there are few ways to change the price of an item. Affinity with a salesperson does not usually affect price, though completing a special task may earn a discount (such as helping Fournival during the quest Trial and Tribulations).
If an item that you are selling has been enhanced, the selling price will be higher than normal. Each rank increases the value.
|Sell prices of enhanced items|
One exception is the augment Suasion which increases the amount of money you get when selling an item by 15%. If multiple members of the party have this augment equipped, the effect multiplies - thus to a maximum of 1.154 (that is nearly 1.75x) If you are looking to make a fast profit on found items, hiring pawns with Suasion before selling would be a good way to do so.
Having a Ring of Thrift in your inventory grants a 15% bonus to gold earned when selling items, the same as Suasion. However this effect does not stack for multiple rings on the same character, nor does it increase sale prices for characters who already have Suasion equipped. Only the effect of either Ring of Thrift or Suasion is active per character.
- As an example Potent Greenwarish can be bought for 300G at Aestella's or 210G with a Gold Idol discount. It sells for 120G or with four Suasion sale price boosts at just under 210G (209.9G) - a net loss of 1G. Similarly a Cutlass can be bought at Caxton's Armory for 23,600G (16,520G at discount), and sells for 9,440G (or 16,510G with four Suasion augments active) - a minumum net loss of 10G. If the item could be enhanced at minimal or no cost an opportunity for profit exists.
List of Merchants and Shops
Shops and Shopkeepers
- Caxton's Armory in Fountain Square, Gran Soren
- Camellia's Apothecary in Fountain Square, Gran Soren
- The Black Cat in the Venery , Gran Soren
- Devyn's Barber Shop in Gran Soren (haircuts and beauty treatments only)
- Madeleine's Shop in the Venery, Gran Soren ****
- Alon's Shop in the Abandoned Mine in The Ancient Quarry **
Merchants and Peddlers
- Fournival in Gran Soren
- Reynard in The Encampment, Gran Soren, Rest Camp, Cassardis, or the Greatwall Encampment *
- Jayce in Rest Camp, Southwest of Ancient Quarry
- Alon in The Abbey, or outside of The Ancient Quarry **
- Mathias outside of Greatwall Encampment
- Akim, Pawn Peddler, in The Everfall ***
- Joye, Pawn Peddler, in The Everfall ***
- Delec, Pawn Peddler, in The Everfall ***
- * Reynard tends to move quite often. This makes it a tad difficult to locate him when you need to.
- ** Alon moves inside of the Quarry after you complete his quest Of Merchants and Monsters.
- *** These peddlers can only be accessed after The Final Battle is complete.
- **** Madeleine opens a shop in the Venery if the quest Chasing Shadows is completed.
- A number of shops do not provide useful services to the Arisen - these include the market stalls in the Fountain Square in Gran Soren, as well as Heraldo's Grocery and Benita's shop in Cassardis.
- Alehouses do not generally sell food and drink to the party, though some may offer a bed at a price.
- There is a limited profit making method involving allowing Carrots or Twigbeans to mature into Moldy Carrots and Moldy Twigbeans and selling them back to the shopkeeper. For more information see their respective articles or the Exploits article.
- See Profitable recipes for combining recipes that produce products with a higher sale price than the starting reagents or materials.