There are 7 progression stages in the main quest that significantly alter the game's side quest availability and/or vendor inventory:
|Stage Number||Requirements to Access Each Stage|
|Stage 1||Game start through Off With Its Head|
|Stage 2||Off With Its Head through the first Wyrm Hunt Quest|
|Stage 3||First Wyrm Hunt Quest through Come to Court|
|Stage 4||Come to Court through Trials and Tribulations/Griffin's Bane|
|Stage 5||Trials and Tribulations/Griffin's Bane through Reward and Responsibility|
|Stage 6||Reward and Responsibility through The Final Battle|
|Stage 7||The Final Battle through Post Game|
What follows is a list of the non Notice Board side quests and when they can safely be attempted prior to crossing the games next significant threshold. This is a guarantee that they will be available at that stage, not that they will become unavailable after. To ensure that all the side quests have unlocked, pursue them just prior to accepting the listed game progression quest.
- Guard Duty -Cassardis- Talk to Madeleine at the inn.
- Deep Trouble -Cassardis- Talk to Poll, near the well.
- Floral Delivery -Cassardis- Talk to Benita in mid-town.
- Grim Tidings -Cassardis- Talk to Elvar.
- Lost Faith -Cassardis- Talk to Father Clemente.
- Strength in Numbers -The Encampment- Automatically triggered after gaining access to the Riftstone.
- Search Party -Wilderness outside of Cassardis- First save Reynard from goblins on the path to the Encampment (must be done on your FIRST trek from Cassardis to the Encampment), then, when able, complete 10 separate transactions with him. (Warning: Completing the final stage of this quest line removes Reynard from the game. This quest line is best completed just prior to finishing Stage 6, to allow his inventory to expand fully.)
- An Uninvited Guest -Cassardis- Talk to Pablos, the innkeeper.
- Lost and Found -Cassardis- Talk to Adoro near the town gate. Finish before Lure of the Abyss.
- Deeper Trouble -Cassardis- Talk to Rorric, down the well. (Requires "Deep Trouble)
- Dying of Curiosity -Cassardis- Talk to Merin, on the beach.
- A Troublesome Tome -Gran Soren- Talk to Steffen, east of Fountain Square.
- Chasing Shadows -Gran Soren- Talk to Mason, near Fountain Square.
- Land of Opportunity -Gran Soren- Talk to Fournival.
- Escort Duty -Gran Soren- Talk to Fournival in his home in the Noble Quarter. (Requires "Land of Opportunity and "Chasing Shadows.)
- Reaper's Scorn -Gran Soren- Talk to Austine in the Craftsmen Quarter's smithy.
- Of Merchants and Monsters -Ancient Quarry- Talk with Alon, by the northern quarry entrance.
- No Honor Among Thieves -Ruins of Aernst Castle- Talk to Maul. (An Uninvited Guest is Recommended: For certain outcomes.)
- Thick as Thieves -Ruins of Heavenspeak Castle- Talk to Betiah, near the main gate as a woman or a man dressed as a woman.
- Nothing, but be sure to speak with Lady Aelinore in her garden after the first audience with the Duke (The camera will pan upon exiting the castle doors).
- An Innocent Man -Cassardis- Talk to Tomlin on the northern side of town.
- Farewell, Valmiro -Cassardis- Talk to Valmiro on the steps, by the beach. (Requires "Dying of Curiosity)
- The Conspirators -Gran Soren- Talk to Fedel, on the castle's upper floor.
- Arousing Suspicion -Gran Soren- Talk to Mirabelle in the castle foyer. Make sure you met Lady Aelinore in her garden after your first audience with the Duke.
- Idol Worship -Gran Soren- Talk to Caxton.
- Supplier's Demand -Gran Soren- Talk to Madeleine at her store, in the south quarter.
- Rise of the Fallen -Gran Soren- Talk to Ser Maximillian.
- Witch Hunt -Gran Soren- Overhear the people talking around Fountain Square. (Requires Lost and Found)
- Nameless Terror -Wilderness outside of Gran Soren- Leave the town by the southern gate.
- Talent in Bloom -The Abbey- Talk to Quina.
- A Parting Gift -The Abbey- Talk to Clarus. (Requires Talent in Bloom)
- The Dragon's Tongue -Witchwood- Pick up the Ancient Tablet by the gravesite. (Requires "Witch Hunt)
- Mettle Against Metal -Witchwood- Approach the Golem. (Requires Witch Hunt)
- Supply and Demands -Windbluff Tower- Talk to Ser Daerio.
- Bad Business -Gran Soren- Talk to Katlyn inside Madeleine's shop. This quest becomes available after completing The Wyrmking's Ring and Pride Before a Fall, just before heading off towards the Waycastle on the quest Honor and Treachery. Reports say it's available up until you need to face the dragon, but before you actually do.
- Duchess in Distress -Gran Soren- Talk to Mirabelle outside the castle. Becomes available once Reward and Responsibility is finished.
- Optimal time to complete "Search Party quest line.
- A Warm Welcome -Cassardis- Begins automatically upon starting Post Game. Be sure to complete before finishing the Post Game quest and progressing through the Wakestone portal.