Schooled in the arcane arts, Sorcerers deploy the deadliest of magicks in battle. From meteor showers, massive ice spikes, and deadly necromancy, Sorcerers are truly a powerful force to behold and should never be underestimated.
Primary Weapon: Archistaves
Primary Offensive stat: Magick
Strengths and RoleEdit
Devastating Magicks: No other class is capable of harnessing the near-cosmic magickal forces that Sorcerers can wield. Sorcerers have access to the most powerful offensive magick spells.
Elemental Enchanting: Like the Mage, Sorcerers can use enchanting magicks to power up a companion's weapons with deadly elemental effects.
Crippling Debilitations: Sorcerers possess a variety of debilitating magicks that can affect larger crowds.
Combat Mobility: The powerful Focused Bolt ( a Core Skill, the charged Light Attack) when used in conjuction with a Holy enchantment, allows for high mobility while being able to inflict great amounts of damage.
Field Mobility: The Levitate skill can be used for increased mobility when moving around the map. It can be used to grab ledges above you that even the Double Vault skill won't reach. An example is the Witchwood entrance near Cassardis, a quick shortcut to the Witch's house.
Incredible Magick Defense: Not many magick attacks will harm Sorcerers.
Highest Magick Attack Growth: Sorcerers have the highest Magick attack growth of all vocations in the game, useful for buffing up the strength of Magick attacks of other classes if you level a few times in this class.
Group Spellcasting: (also known as Spell Synching.) If a sorcerer (be it you or a pawn) starts casting a spell, an allied sorcerer that is close enough to the initial caster of the spell can mirror the spell and cast it much faster (e.g. If your pawn has started to cast high maelstrom and is almost done, if you're close enough you can start the spell at your pawn's current spellcasting progress, potentially making the cast time less than a second).
No Healing Magicks: Features no active healing or recovery skills (aside from Voidspell, which is really only useful to cure Petrification and Lowered Defense inflicted by Leapworms).
Low Physical Defense: Sub-par physical damage threshold, also gets knocked back easily.
Low Health and Stamina: Health gain per level is the lowest in the game, and stamina gain second lowest. Their combined gain up to level 100 is only 31 points per-level, tied with the Mage, where most other classes have a combined health/stamina gain of near 50.
No Evasive or Defensive moves: The Sorcerer class must rely on jumping or levitating away from danger since they cannot block or dodge roll to avoid incoming attacks. Always be aware of your surroundings when casting big spells to avoid being blindsided.
Slow Casting: Many of the Sorcerer's spells take a long time to cast so one must be careful or you may leave yourself open for an attack. Equipping the Articulacy augment and carrying the Wyrmking's Ring in your inventory will shorten spellcasting times.
Golems: The glowing discs on Golems have high resistance to magick, Sorcerers have a hard time destroying them. The Arisen must jump and use the heavy attack button on the weak points or use high tier spells. Pawns sometimes have difficulty attacking the hard to reach areas of the palm and metatarsal (bottom of the foot) if they are not familiar with this enemy.
Daimon: Compared to the other classes which rely on physical based attacks, a Sorcerer needs relatively high magick to effectively fight him. A Holy-buffed Focused Bolt, however, is deadly and allows the Sorcerer Arisen to run whilst charging the shot.
|Ingle||Fire||Already Learned||-||Looses a ball of fire that explodes upon contact, engulfing both the target and surrounding foes.|
|Miasma||Dark||Already Learned||-||Transmutes the land into a putrid bog that poisons foes who tread upon it.|
|Frazil||Ice||1||200||Creates a concentrated field of cold in front of the user that freezes solid whatever enemies it visits.|
|Levin||Lightning||1||200||Smites the enemy from above with tongues of lightning. Especially effective at driving foes out of hiding.|
|Ice Boon||Ice||1||200||Launches a bolt of magick that enchants an ally's weapon with ice.|
|Fire Boon||Fire||1||200||Launches a bolt of magick that enchants and ally's weapon with fire.|
|Thunder Boon||Lightning||1||200||Launches a bolt of magick that enchants an ally's weapon with thunder.|
|High Frazil||Ice||3||700||An advanced form of Frazil that creates an expanded field of cold around the user that deals ice damage to those it touches.|
|High Ingle||Fire||3||700||An advanced form of Ingle that looses a number of fiery projectiles that explode on contact.|
|High Levin||Lightning||3||700||An advanced form of Levin that smites foes with multiple lighting bolts from above.|
|High Miasma||Dark||3||1300||An advanced form of Miasma that expands the size of poisonous fog and endures for a longer period of time.|
|Lassitude||Dark||3||1300||Invokes a magickal sigil at a designated location that inflicts torpor upon foes who enter.|
|Holy Boon||Holy||3||500||Launches a bolt of magick that enchants an ally's weapon with holy light.|
|Dark Boon||Dark||3||500||Launches a bolt of magick that enchants an ally's weapon with darkness.|
|Necromancy||Dark||4||1800||Summons the souls of the departed to surround the user, assisting with attack and defense for a time.|
|Blearing||Dark||4||1000||Invokes a magickal sigil around the user that blinds foes who enter.|
|Silentium||Dark||4||1000||Invokes a magickal sigil around the user that silences foes who enter.|
|Voidspell||Holy||4||1800||Invokes a magickal sigil around the user that strips debilitations from all allies who enter.|
|Brontide||Lightning||5||1400||Wraps the users body in a whip-like bolt of lightning capable of damaging foes. (Attack with heavy and light attacks, press Jump to cancel)|
|Comestion||Fire||5||1400||Generates a towering wall of flame; though only modest in power, it ignites adversaries with ease.|
|Frigor||Ice||5||1400||Generates a giant chunk of ice that can serve as a stepping stone.|
|Petrifaction||Dark||5||2600||Invokes a magickal sigil that turns foes who enter it to stone.|
|High Lassitude||Dark||5||2600||An advanced form of Lassitude that calls forth a larger, longer-lasting fog that inflicts torpor upon foes who enter.|
|Exequy||Dark||5||2600||Invokes a magickal sigil capable of destroying outright any foe held within its span for a set length of time.|
|Bolide||Fire||6||3000||Calls meteors down from the heavens to land around the user. The user may move immediately after invocation.|
|Gicel||Ice||6||3000||Conjures lances of ice, then propels them forward.|
|Fulmination||Lightning||6||3000||Bestows the user with lightning, enabling them to electrify foes nearby and add a bit of spark to the rest of the party. (Attack with heavy and light attacks, press Jump to cancel)|
|High Necromancy||Dark||6||3000||An advanced form of Necromancy that calls forth a larger host of spirits that assist with attack and defense for a time.|
|High Blearing||Dark||6||1400||An advanced form of Blearing that invokes a larger aura around the user, blinding foes who enter.|
|High Silentium||Dark||6||1400||An advanced form of Silentium that calls forth a larger aura around the user, silencing foes who enter.|
|Ice Affinity||Ice||6||1200||An advanced form of Ice Boon that extends and amplifies the enchantment, as well as the recipient's Magick.|
|Fire Affinity||Fire||6||1200||An advanced form of Fire Boon that extends and amplifies the enchantment, as well as the recipient's Magick.|
|Thunder Affinity||Lightning||6||1200||An advanced form of Thunder Boon that extends and amplifies the enchantment, as well as the recipient's Magick.|
|Holy Affinity||Holy||6||1200||An advanced form of Holy Boon that extends and amplifies the enchantment, as well as the recipient's Magick.|
|Dark Affinity||Dark||6||1200||An advanced form of Dark Boon that extends and amplifies the enchantment, as well as the recipient's Magick.|
|High Voidspell||Holy||6||3000||Invokes a magickal sigil which restores any lowered offensive or defensive attributes, and clears Petrification.|
|High Brontide||Lightning||7||1800||An advanced form of Brontide that calls forth a longer-lasting whip of lightning that drops more bolts when dismissed.|
|High Comestion||Fire||7||1800||An advanced form of Comestion that invokes an even longer wall of flame easily able to ignite foes.|
|High Frigor||Ice||7||1800||An advanced form of Frigor that generates three spires of ice. The last one can serve as a stepping stone.|
|Seism||Holy||7||4800||Shakes the earth, causing a stony prominence to erupt forth, stunning and damaging foes in a broad radius.|
|Maelstrom||Dark||7||4800||Summons a whirlwind to wreak havoc upon any foes caught in its path.|
|High Bolide||Fire||8||5000||An advanced form of Bolide that calls down a greater number of meteors. The user may move after deployment.|
|High Gicel||Ice||8||5000||An advanced form of Gicel that calls forth several twisting spikes of ice that thrust forward from the ground.|
|High Fulmination||Lightning||8||5000||An advanced form of Fulmination that envelops the user in a more powerful and wider-ranged bolt of lighting.|
|High Petrifaction||Dark||8||5000||An advanced form of Petrifaction that invoke a larger, longer-lasting fog that turns foes who enter it to stone.|
|High Exequy||Dark||8||5000||An advanced form of Exequy that creates an capable of destroying any foe caught within it in a shorter period of time.|
|High Seism||Holy||9||8500||An advanced form of Seism that causes even more eruptions of stone, stunning and damaging foes over a wide area.|
|High Maelstrom||Dark||9||8500||An advanced form of Maelstrom that summons a larger, longer-lasting whirlwind to wreak havoc upon foes.|
|Feather Jump||Already Learned||-||A light Jump. More effective when grabbing on to platforms and rocks.|
|Magick Bolt||Already Learned||-||Launches a magick bolt from your staff. Press repeatedly for additional effect. Can add elemental effect via enchantments. [Light Attack]|
|Magick Billow||Already Learned||-||Emits a shockwave from your palm that sends weaker enemies or staggered stronger enemies flying away. Useful for preventing smaller enemies from swarming you. Can be used mid-air. [Heavy Attack]|
|Levitate||2||600||An advanced form of Feather Jump that mitigates gravity's pull, enabling a gentle landing even from great heights. Hold [Jump].|
|Focused Bolt||6||3000||An advanced form of Magick Bolt. Focuses the user's active enchantment into a powerful burst that can be fired from the ground or air. Hold [Light Attack] until the staff 'pops' at its upper end and then release. Autotargets if buffed with an element.|
|Magick Agent||6||3000||An advanced form of Magick Billow. Conjures spheres of magickal energy around the user to attack encroaching foes. Also employable from mid-air. Hold [Heavy Attack] and release after charging animation concludes.|
|Awareness||1||1200||Increases Magick Defense by 50.|
|Emphasis||2||1200||Increases the ability to knockdown enemies with spells.|
|Suasion||2||1200||Increases sale value of items by 15%.|
|Conservation||7||6000||Reduces the Stamina consumed when you perform a magick weapon skill by 15%.|
|Gravitas||7||6000||Makes it harder to knock you off your feet while preparing a spell.|
|Acuity||9||9000||Increases Magick by 20%.|
|Articulacy||9||9000||Reduces all spell casting times by 15%.|
For information on how augments impact stats and how stacking of multiple augments work see the Stats page.
|HP||Stamina||Attack||Defense||Magick Attack||Magick Defense|
- To shorten spellcasting time, equip the Articulacy augment and carry the Wyrmking's Ring in your inventory.
- Because of the long cast time for many of the Sorcerer's spells, it is advisable to equip at least one lower spell so that you have something that casts faster against quick-moving enemies.
- Fire Boon/Fire Affinity is effective early in the game ("pre-game", before the battle against The Dragon) as most enemies are weak to Fire. In the post-game, (AFTER the battle against Grigori) Holy Boon/Holy Affinity is very effective, as most post-game monsters are vulnerable to Holy damage. Though in Bitterblack Isle most enemies are very resistant to Holy.
- Try to mix your spell selection based on the different elements so you can be prepared to fight against different enemy types. For example, have at least one fire-based spell, one ice-based, one-lightning spell, etc., so you are never at a disadvantage in a battle against an enemy immune to one or several elements.
- Necromancy makes for an excellent offensive and defensive spell. The floating skulls it summons protects you from nearby enemies and causes severe damage.
- Petrification is ineffective against bosses and most larger non-boss enemies.
- Casting Maelstrom in an enclosed area like a dungeon may block your view of the area (though it won't cause any damage to you). But casting Maelstrom in a tight area and luring enemies into the center of the cyclone can tremendously increase its damage by bouncing enemies into walls and ceilings.
- Contrary to what seems a logical choice, it is a bad idea to use pawns that have a Guardian inclination when you are playing as a Sorcerer. Guardian pawns will move with you, sticking relatively close by to protect the Arisen. This is great when fighting Goblins or other smaller creatures, i.e. Bandits, but absolutely terrible against Golems and other large boss creatures. The Guardian will lead the enemy right to you, which usually results in interrupting a spell cast, and sometimes gets you grabbed. Go with Challengers, Scathers or Mitigators to keep the enemy away from you. Or better yet, a Sorcerer pawn that has the "Utilitarian" Inclination will more often use the same spell as you to reduce cast time and do more damage (like Bolide ). Guardian Fighters or Warriors with the skills War Cry or Shield Drum are particularly bad for the Sorcerer Arisen as they will draw enemies down directly on the Arisen's position, guaranteeing spell interruption and damage, if not death.
- Only Sorcerers can cast High Voidspell to cure both Petrification and the Lowered Defense affliction caused by those pesky Leapworms .
- While casting Boon/Affinity if you 'click' on the left stick, you will target yourself.
- If holding both the Primary and Secondary buttons down, the names of your primary skills will show but the active or "available" attacks are your secondary attacks
- Sorcerers are ineffective against Golems, as their glowing discs protect them from spells. One way for a Sorcerer to defeat a Golem is by using High Exequy. It is necessary to have either another Sorcerer that knows this spell, so as to mirror yours, or to bring along a surplus of stamina replenishing Curatives.
- The Sorcerer's Heavy Attack - the magick pulse that radiates from the palm - can also damage the discs on a Golem and the floating discs that power Metal Golems. This means getting in close to the Golem and some precise positioning, so it is advised that Sorcerers pay close attention to the Golem's actions to avoid heavy damage.
- Brontide uses up Stamina quite rapidly. If you intend to use this spell frequently it is advised to spend a little time focusing on Stamina-increasing Vocations such as the Ranger for a few levels. This is why pawns will not use Brontide or its variants if they have a Lightning-based spell available that costs lest stamina.
- The Focused Bolt in combination with Holy Boon/Holy Affinity/Holy Pact or other magickal holy enchantments deals very high damage, especially against bigger enemies. Its fast loading time, auto-targeting of weak spots, ability to penetrate enemies (dealing damage while doing so and hitting multiple enemies in a row) and high mobility while charging it makes it one of the best skills for Sorcerers and Mages.