Schooled in the arcane arts, Sorcerers deploy the deadliest of magicks in battle. From meteor showers, massive ice spikes, and deadly necromancy, Sorcerers are truly a powerful force to behold and should never be underestimated.
- Primary Weapon: Archistaves
- Primary Offensive stat: Magick
- Armor: In general, Spellcaster Armor Sets and like components. Sorcerers have access to a few items that their close peers, Mages, do not.
Strengths and Role
Devastating Magicks: No other class is capable of harnessing the near-cosmic magickal forces that Sorcerers can wield. Sorcerers have access to the most powerful offensive magick spells.
Elemental Enchanting: Like the Mage, Sorcerers can use enchanting magicks to power up a companion's weapons with deadly elemental effects.
Crippling Debilitations: Sorcerers possess a variety of debilitating magicks that can affect larger crowds.
Combat Mobility: The powerful Focused Bolt ( a Core Skill, the charged Light Attack) when used in conjunction with a Holy enchantment, allows for high mobility while being able to inflict great amounts of damage.
Field Mobility: The Levitate skill can be used for increased mobility when moving around the map. It can be used to grab ledges above you that even the Double Vault skill can't reach. An example is the Witchwood entrance near Cassardis, a quick shortcut to the Witch's house.
Incredible Magick Defense: Not many magick attacks will harm Sorcerers.
Highest Magick Attack Growth: Sorcerers have the highest Magick attack growth of all vocations in the game, useful for buffing up the strength of Magick attacks of other classes if you level a few times in this class.
Group Spellcasting: (also known as Spell Synching.) If a sorcerer (be it you or a pawn) starts casting a spell, an allied sorcerer that is close enough to the initial caster of the spell can mirror the spell and cast it much faster (e.g. If your pawn has started to cast high maelstrom and is almost done, if you're close enough you can start the spell at your pawn's current spellcasting progress, potentially making the cast time less than a second).
No Healing Magicks: Features no active healing or recovery skills (aside from Voidspell, which is really only useful to cure Petrification and Lowered Defense inflicted by Leapworms).
Low Physical Defense: Sub-par physical damage threshold, also gets knocked back easily.
Low Health and Stamina: Health gain per level is the lowest in the game, and stamina gain second lowest. Their combined gain up to level 100 is only 31 points per-level, tied with the Mage, where most other classes have a combined health/stamina gain of near 50.
No Evasive or Defensive moves: The Sorcerer class must rely on jumping or levitating away from danger since they cannot block or dodge roll to avoid incoming attacks. Always be aware of your surroundings when casting big spells to avoid being blindsided.
Slow Casting: Many of the Sorcerer's spells take a long time to cast so one must be careful or you may leave yourself open for an attack. Equipping the Articulacy augment and carrying the Wyrmking's Ring in your inventory will shorten spellcasting times by up to 20%.
Golems: The glowing discs on Golems have high resistance to magick which will cause Sorcerers to have a hard time destroying them. Some skills and spells, such as Magick Billow and Gicel, carry physical damage components to their calculations which can deal damage to these targets, but at a much reduced rate than physical vocations. Sorcerer pawns without the proper Bestiary knowledge may have a very hard time targeting the discs.
Daimon: Compared to the other classes which rely on physical based attacks, a Sorcerer needs relatively high magick to effectively fight him. A Holy-buffed Focused Bolt, however, is deadly and allows the Sorcerer Arisen to run whilst charging the shot.
Skills in bold are unique to the Sorcerer.
|Miasma||Dark||Already Learned||-||Transmutes the land into a putrid bog that poisons foes who tread upon it.|
|Ingle||Fire||Already Learned||-||Looses a ball of fire that explodes upon contact, engulfing both the target and surrounding foes.|
|Frazil||Ice||1||200||Creates a concentrated field of cold in front of the user that freezes solid whatever enemies it visits.|
|Levin||Lightning||1||200||Smites the enemy from above with tongues of lightning. Especially effective at driving foes out of hiding.|
|Fire Boon||Fire||1||200||Launches a bolt of magick that enchants and ally's weapon with fire.|
|Ice Boon||Ice||1||200||Launches a bolt of magick that enchants an ally's weapon with ice.|
|Thunder Boon||Lightning||1||200||Launches a bolt of magick that enchants an ally's weapon with thunder.|
|Holy Boon||Holy||3||500||Launches a bolt of magick that enchants an ally's weapon with holy light.|
|Dark Boon||Dark||3||500||Launches a bolt of magick that enchants an ally's weapon with darkness.|
|High Ingle||Fire||3||700||An advanced form of Ingle that looses a number of fiery projectiles that explode on contact.|
|High Frazil||Ice||3||700||An advanced form of Frazil that creates an expanded field of cold around the user that deals ice damage to those it touches.|
|High Levin||Lightning||3||700||An advanced form of Levin that smites foes with multiple lighting bolts from above.|
|High Miasma||Dark||3||1300||An advanced form of Miasma that expands the size of poisonous fog and endures for a longer period of time.|
|Lassitude||Dark||3||1300||Invokes a magickal sigil at a designated location that inflicts torpor upon foes who enter.|
|Necromancy||Dark||4||1800||Summons the souls of the departed to surround the user, assisting with attack and defense for a time.|
|Blearing||Dark||4||1000||Invokes a magickal sigil around the user that blinds foes who enter.|
|Silentium||Dark||4||1000||Invokes a magickal sigil around the user that silences foes who enter.|
|Voidspell||Holy||4||1800||Invokes a magickal sigil around the user that strips debilitations from all allies who enter.|
|Comestion||Fire||5||1400||Generates a towering wall of flame; though only modest in power, it ignites adversaries with ease.|
|Frigor||Ice||5||1400||Generates a giant chunk of ice that can serve as a stepping stone.|
|Brontide||Lightning||5||1400||Wraps the users body in a whip-like bolt of lightning capable of damaging foes. (Attack with heavy and light attacks, press Jump to cancel)|
|High Lassitude||Dark||5||2600||An advanced form of Lassitude that calls forth a larger, longer-lasting fog that inflicts torpor upon foes who enter.|
|Exequy||Dark||5||2600||Invokes a magickal sigil capable of destroying outright any foe held within its span for a set length of time.|
|Petrifaction||Dark||5||2600||Invokes a magickal sigil that turns foes who enter it to stone.|
|Fire Affinity||Fire||6||1200||An advanced form of Fire Boon that extends and amplifies the enchantment, as well as the recipient's Magick.|
|Ice Affinity||Ice||6||1200||An advanced form of Ice Boon that extends and amplifies the enchantment, as well as the recipient's Magick.|
|Thunder Affinity||Lightning||6||1200||An advanced form of Thunder Boon that extends and amplifies the enchantment, as well as the recipient's Magick.|
|Holy Affinity||Holy||6||1200||An advanced form of Holy Boon that extends and amplifies the enchantment, as well as the recipient's Magick.|
|Dark Affinity||Dark||6||1200||An advanced form of Dark Boon that extends and amplifies the enchantment, as well as the recipient's Magick.|
|High Blearing||Dark||6||1400||An advanced form of Blearing that invokes a larger aura around the user, blinding foes who enter.|
|High Silentium||Dark||6||1400||An advanced form of Silentium that calls forth a larger aura around the user, silencing foes who enter.|
|Bolide||Fire||6||3000||Calls meteors down from the heavens to land around the user. The user may move immediately after invocation.|
|Gicel||Ice||6||3000||Conjures lances of ice, then propels them forward.|
|Fulmination||Lightning||6||3000||Bestows the user with lightning, enabling them to electrify foes nearby and add a bit of spark to the rest of the party. (Attack with heavy and light attacks, press Jump to cancel)|
|High Voidspell||Holy||6||3000||Invokes a magickal sigil which restores any lowered offensive or defensive attributes, and clears Petrification.|
|High Necromancy||Dark||6||3000||An advanced form of Necromancy that calls forth a larger host of spirits that assist with attack and defense for a time.|
|High Comestion||Fire||7||1800||An advanced form of Comestion that invokes an even longer wall of flame easily able to ignite foes.|
|High Frigor||Ice||7||1800||An advanced form of Frigor that generates three spires of ice. The last one can serve as a stepping stone.|
|High Brontide||Lightning||7||1800||An advanced form of Brontide that calls forth a longer-lasting whip of lightning that drops more bolts when dismissed.|
|Seism||Holy||7||4800||Shakes the earth, causing a stony prominence to erupt forth, stunning and damaging foes in a broad radius.|
|Maelstrom||Dark||7||4800||Summons a whirlwind to wreak havoc upon any foes caught in its path.|
|High Bolide||Fire||8||5000||An advanced form of Bolide that calls down a greater number of meteors. The user may move after deployment.|
|High Gicel||Ice||8||5000||An advanced form of Gicel that calls forth several twisting spikes of ice that thrust forward from the ground.|
|High Fulmination||Lightning||8||5000||An advanced form of Fulmination that envelops the user in a more powerful and wider-ranged bolt of lighting.|
|High Exequy||Dark||8||5000||An advanced form of Exequy that creates an capable of destroying any foe caught within it in a shorter period of time.|
|High Petrifaction||Dark||8||5000||An advanced form of Petrifaction that invoke a larger, longer-lasting fog that turns foes who enter it to stone.|
|High Seism||Holy||9||8500||An advanced form of Seism that causes even more eruptions of stone, stunning and damaging foes over a wide area.|
|High Maelstrom||Dark||9||8500||An advanced form of Maelstrom that summons a larger, longer-lasting whirlwind to wreak havoc upon foes.|
|Grand Ingle||Fire||Requires Staff-Bearer's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of High Ingle that looses a greater number of fiery projectiles that explode on contact.|
|Grand Levin||Lightning||Requires Staff-Bearer's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of High Levin that smites foe with an even greater number of lightning bolts.|
|Grand Frigor||Ice||Requires Staff-Bearer's Ring/Band OR Mage's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of High Frigor that generates an even greater quantity of icy spires.|
|Grand Brontide||Lightning||Requires Staff-Bearer's Ring/Band OR Mage's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of High Brontide that erodes less Stamina and periodically drops lightning bolts around the user.|
|Fire Pact||Fire||Requires Staff Enchanter's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of Fire Affinity that extends its duration and power, and further boosts the recipient's Magick.|
|Ice Pact||Ice||Requires Staff Enchanter's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of Ice Affinity that extends its duration and power, and further boosts the recipient's Magick.|
|Thunder Pact||Lightning||Requires Staff Enchanter's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of Thunder Affinity that extends its duration and power, and further boosts the recipient's Magick.|
|Holy Pact||Holy||Requires Staff Enchanter's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of Holy Affinity that extends its duration and power, and further boosts the recipient's Magick.|
|Dark Pact||Dark||Requires Staff Enchanter's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of Dark Affinity that extends its duration and power, and further boosts the recipient's Magick.|
|Grand Bolide||Fire||Requires Sorcerer's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of High Bolide that calls down an even greater numbers of meteors.|
|Grand Gicel||Ice||Requires Sorcerer's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of High Gicel that calls an even greater number of twisting ice spikes to thrust up from the ground.|
|Grand Fulmination||Lightning||Requires Sorcerer's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of High Fulmination that erodes less Stamina and amplifies the spark granted to allies.|
|Grand Seism||Holy||Requires Sorcerer's Ring/Band||-||An advanced form of High Seism that causes yet more eruptions of stone and expands the range of the tremors.|
|Feather Jump||Already learned||-||A light Jump. More effective when grabbing on to platforms and rocks.|
|Magick Bolt||Already Learned||-||Launches a magick bolt from your staff. Press repeatedly for additional effect. Can add elemental effect via enchantments. [Light Attack]|
|Magick Billow||Already learned||-||Emits a shockwave from your palm that sends weaker enemies or staggered stronger enemies flying away. Useful for preventing smaller enemies from swarming you. Can be used mid-air. [Heavy Attack]|
|Levitate||2||600||An advanced form of Feather Jump that mitigates gravity's pull, enabling a gentle landing even from great heights. Hold [Jump].|
|Focused Bolt||6||3000||An advanced form of Magick Bolt. Focuses the user's active enchantment into a powerful burst that can be fired from the ground or air. Hold [Light Attack] until the staff 'pops' at its upper end and then release. Autotargets if buffed with an element.|
|Magick Agent||6||3000||An advanced form of Magick Billow. Conjures spheres of magickal energy around the user to attack encroaching foes. Also employable from mid-air. Hold [Heavy Attack] and release after charging animation concludes.|
|Awareness||1||1200||Increases Magick Defense by 50.|
|Emphasis||2||1200||Increases the ability to knockdown enemies with spells.|
|Suasion||2||1200||Increases sale value of items by 15%.|
|Conservation||7||6000||Reduces the Stamina consumed when you perform a magick weapon skill by 15%.|
|Gravitas||7||6000||Makes it harder to knock you off your feet while preparing a spell.|
|Acuity||9||9000||Increases Magick by 20%.|
|Articulacy||9||9000||Reduces all spell casting times by 10%.|
For information on how augments impact stats and how stacking of multiple augments work see the Stats page.
|HP||Stamina||Attack||Defense||Magick Attack||Magick Defense|
- As mentioned above, casting times can be reduced up to 20% by equipping the Articulacy augment and carrying the Wyrmking's Ring in your inventory. Pawns also benefit from this. To keep the ring, create a Wyrmking's Ring Forgery with Montebank in Gran Soren to give to Aldous to complete the quest The Wyrmking's Ring. Be sure to give Aldous the *forgery,* as it does not carry the bonus effect.
- When cast, spells which display a "target lock" onto an enemy (such as Ingle, Frigor, Miasma, Levin and Gicel) may be toggled between auto targeting and manual targeting by clicking down on the left analog stick or pressing the Shift key. When casting boon and affinity spells buffs, click down on the left analog stick to toggle between targeting pawns and self-targeting the Arisen.
- Consider equipping at least one short casting spell (such as Ingle) to handle quicker enemies like Wolves, Wargs, or Harpies. Many of the Sorcerer's powerful spells require long casting times which can make targeting fast enemies bothersome.
- High and Grand spells can be partially-cast. For example, while casting High Comestion, releasing it prior to charging its second bar casts Comestion. This can be useful if speed is desired, you don't need the full effect, or if you think you may not be able to successfully finish the cast.
- Equip a mixed spell selection based on the five different elements in order to be prepared for different enemy weaknesses. For magic resistant enemies, as mentioned above, some skills and spells carry physical damage components to their calculations which can deal damage to foes that Sorcerers are otherwise largely ineffective against so it may be wise to equip at least one of these.
- Fire Boon/Fire Affinity is effective against enemies in the early stages of the game. After the battle against The Dragon, Holy Boon/Holy Affinity is more effective, as most Post-Game monsters are vulnerable to Holy enchanted weapons and spells. Within Bitterblack Isle, however, some enemies have strong resistance to Holy enchanted weapons and spells and are instead more vulnerable to Ice or Lightning.
- Necromancy makes for an excellent offensive and defensive spell. The floating skulls it summons will protect the party from nearby enemies, and is especially effective against lightweight foes. Note, however, that it doesn't discriminate between hostile and docile targets; deer can just as easily fall prey to this as a goblin.
- Petrifaction and Exequy are useful, if long casting, crowd killing spells, but they are ineffective against bosses and most larger non-boss enemies. Plan accordingly.
- Casting Maelstrom in an enclosed area like a dungeon may obscure the visibility of the area, though it won't damage the party. Standing within the center of the Maelstrom will lure and sweep up any small or medium size enemies that attempt to enter, allowing the Arisen to cast another powerful spell in relative safety.
- Maelstrom will also group Metal Golem discs closer together. This can be immensely useful as it can move them to where melee pawns can get at them or within range for ranged pawns to shoot.
- Only Sorcerers can cast High Voidspell to cure both Petrification and the Lowered Defense debilitation caused by Leapworms.
- Brontide uses up Stamina quite rapidly. If you intend to use this spell frequently it is advised to spend a little time focusing on Stamina-increasing Vocations such as the Ranger for a few levels. This is why pawns will never use Brontide or its variants if they have a Lightning-based spell available that costs less stamina.
- The Focused Bolt in combination with Holy Boon/Holy Affinity/Holy Pact or other magickal holy enchantments deals very high damage, especially against bigger enemies. Its fast loading time, auto-targeting of weak spots, ability to penetrate enemies (dealing damage while doing so and hitting multiple enemies in a row) and high mobility while charging it makes it one of the best skills for Sorcerers and Mages.
- Useful inclinations for Sorcerer pawns include Challenger, Mitigator and Utilitarian. Challenger will encourage ranged combat, Mitigator will ensure rapid elimination of weaker foes, and Utilitarian can be used for enchantments and Spell Synching. Conversely, Scather, Guardian, and Nexus should be avoided due to Scather encouraging close combat/melee attacks and Guardian and Nexus' tendencies to make the pawn interrupt casting to move.
The Equipment of the Sorcerer in the Change Vocation Menu is: