Stage 1 refers to the segment of the game that takes place from the very beginning, up to the completion of the quest Off With Its Head.
Between these two points, much of what the player is able to do, explore, purchase and complete, remains largely static. Completion of this stage (and therefore moving into Stage 2) will lead to numerous changes taking place, and new content becoming accessible.
- The Arisen's Vocation is chosen within the Quest Newly Arisen. Once selected, it cannot be changed until reaching Gran Soren or by talking to Olra on Bitterblack Isle.
- The Main Pawn will be created on completion of the quest Call of the Arisen.
- Rook will join the Arisen within the quest Upon a Pawn and will accompany them up to the creation of the Main Pawn. He may then be dismissed by entering the Riftstone or retained as the Arisen wishes. Support pawns can also be hired at this point.
- Reynard will be encountered on the Seabreeze Trail, under attack by Goblins. If saved (highly recommended), he will move to The Encampment where he will remain until Stage 1 is complete.
- Madeleine will show up in Pablos' Inn in Cassardis on completion of Call of the Arisen. If her quest Guard Duty is completed, she will move to The Encampment until Stage 1 is complete.
- Gran Soren cannot be accessed before completion of Off With Its Head, and therefore moving into Stage 2.
- Ferrystones cannot be used before reaching Gran Soren, and therefore having moved into Stage 2. This includes both the static Portcrystals and those that have been placed (for players in New Game Plus).
- Bitterblack Isle becomes accessible after creating the Main Pawn. Note that the player won't be able to access the Isle via the use of a Ferrystone before completing Off With Its Head.
Quests at Stage 1
- The End at the Beginning
- Harbinger of Destruction
- Newly Arisen
- Upon a Pawn
- Call of the Arisen
- A Rude Awakening
- Off With Its Head
That become available during Stage 1:
- Floral Delivery
- Grim Tidings
- Lost Faith
- Search Party - requires Reynard to be saved from the Goblins on the Seabreeze Trail, and then numerous transactions be made with him.
- Strength in Numbers - following completion of Call of the Arisen.
- Guard Duty - following completion of Call of the Arisen.
- Deep Trouble - following completion of Call of the Arisen.
- Lost and Found - following completion of A Rude Awakening.
- An Uninvited Guest - following completion of A Rude Awakening.
That must be completed during Stage 1:
Shopping at Stage 1
Items & Gear that typically become first available to buy at Stage 1: