Stagger is a short term physical debilitation which causes interruption to a person or creature's actions. It can be caused by physical attacks or spells, explosions, or even by running into someone.
Ability and resistance to stagger is measured by Stagger Damage and Stagger Resistance.
A character's or enemy's stagger resistance will diminish with continued attacks - once a threshold is reached they will be staggered, making them briefly unable to attack, defend, or do other actions.
Each weapon has a Stagger Power value, and the ease of staggering with a weapon is further modified by the skill or spell used. The resistance to staggering can be increased by wearing armor or certain rings or augments - their contribution to resistance is displayed as a Stagger Resistance value - Character Weight also affects stagger resistance.
Equipment and Augments
- For weapons, armor, and clothing stagger power or resistance increases with enhancing.
- For armor and clothing, resistance is generally very similar to knockdown resistance or power.
- For weapons, power is generally identical to knockdown power.
- Clothing and cloak resistances are generally small or zero.
In addition to general clothing and armor, stagger rating can be increased by wearing :
- Cursed King's Belt (+50)
- Barbed Nails (+100 each)
- Master Ring (up to +31 - +40 each)
- Virtuoso Ring (up to +11 - +20 each)
Several Augments and earrings improve stagger resistance :
- Audacity protects against stagger accumulation while charging a physical attack.
- Gravitas protects against stagger accumulation while intoning a spell.
- Stonewall Earring improves both stagger and knockdown resistance at heavy encumbrance.
- Ogre Bone improves both stagger and knockdown resistance.
- Stagger (or knocked-down) enemies do not take inherently more damage, but they are more likely to receive further damage due to being staggered - as they are unable to defend or counter attack.
- Staggered enemies are not "out of battle stance" - this effect refers to not having drawn a weapon, or creatures struck before they are aware of an enemy.
- For armor, clothing, and weapons stagger resistance or power is generally identical to knockdown resistance or power.