Stamina is a primary numerical Stat that represents a character or creature's ability to exhert themselves. Stamina is consumed when running, carrying or grappling objects or things, and when using physical skills, and spells. Running out of stamina causes exhaustion, causing vulnerability.
Certain actions such as sprinting, carrying objects, skill usage, climbing creatures or grappling enemies will consume Stamina, which regenerates once these actions cease. Stamina regeneration is delayed while blocking; the use of Core Skills and Perfect Blocking expends no stamina, but may prevent stamina regeneration, such as when levitating. Effects can be cumulative; e.g., carrying an object and walking uses stamina at double the rate of simply holding an object.
|Figures relative to very light encumbrance|
Character Weight and Encumbrance are major factors in the use and regeneration of stamina. The amount of time a character can run roughly doubles from lightly encumbered to overencumbered, whilst stamina regeneration increases as encumbrance decreases (+30% from overencumbered to very light encumbrance). However stamina use for carrying and walking with objects is practically unchanged. Stamina consumed by skills in unaffected by level of encumbrance.
The active Vocation has no effect on the rate of stamina use such as when running or climbing, or the rate of recovery - an exception is a Strider's stamina drain when climbing - which is uniquely low. Stamina growth (see Stat Growths) with level is highest, in order, when leveling as Ranger, Assassin, Strider - with Mystic Knight, Fighter and Magick Archer having average growth and Sorcerer, Warrior and Mage accumulating below average growth.
Running out of stamina causes exhaustion, resulting in the character panting, stopping and catching their breath for a few seconds whilst their stamina recovers. Exhausted characters are not able to move or attack for this short time window.
A few specialities completely drain stamina - these include all Great Gamble type bowshots, Holy Furor class spells, and being hit when wielding a fully charged Caged Fury archistaff, or Wounded Fury sword.
Augments and Equipment
Some Augments increase the total amount of stamina, or have other beneficial effects.
|Augment||Description||Unlocked by Vocation|
|Endurance||Increases stamina by 100||Strider|
|Potential||Increases stamina by 100||Magick Archer|
|Entrancement||Increases stamina by 100 at nighttime||Assassin|
|Grit||Halves recovery time when you run out of stamina||Strider|
|Arm-Strength||Halves stamina consumed when you cling to objects or climb terrain||Strider|
|Fitness||Halves stamina consumed when you lift objects or grapple-hold opponents||Fighter|
|Adamance||Halves stamina consumed when you block attacks with your shield||Mystic Knight|
|Athleticism||Reduces stamina consumed whilst running||Secret Augments|
|Proficiency||Reduces stamina consumed by 25% when you perform a physical weapon skill (does not affect Bow usage)|
|Conservation||Reduces stamina consumed by 15% when you perform a magick weapon skill||Sorcerer|
A few items of equipment increase stamina, including the Shoulder Cape (+30), and various rings obtained from Bitterblack Isle - the Virtuoso Ring (up to +90), Preceptor Ring (up to +300), and Master Ring (up to +500); and the Savior Ring (health and stamina by +500).
- The Arisen's stamina use is increased in Hard Mode.
- Usually represented in game as an orange bar.
- Though the maximum value of stamina is shown in inventory, status, and equipment menus there is no indication of the actual current numerical value of stamina - thus any estimations of stamina use must used the length of the bar as a guide.
- May be abbreviated to STA or Sta.
- For a list of stamina restoratives, see List of Health and Stamina Curatives.
- Stamina drain is used as a barrier to low level characters using higher level weapons - weapons such as those obtained from defeating The Dragon (Dragon Weapons), the Ur-Dragon (Ur-Dragon equipment), and from purification of Bitterblack Weapons have certain level requirements; if not met, they cause high stamina drain even when using Core Skills, or a secondary weapon. The level requirements for these weapons are typically between level 30 - 51.
- Characters with higher Character Weight start (at lvl.1) with slightly more stamina.
- Maximum (core) Stamina at lvl.200 is 4965. (Medium Character Weight)