Stats are numerical values representing a character's physical and magickal abilties - they primarily represent ability in battle, and can affect some other physical activities such as running.
There are six primary stats inherent to a character :
There are other character stats, notably Character Weight and Character Height, which are derived from the character creation, mostly from height, musculature, and fatness - these which influence a number of factors including mobility, encumbrance and reach.
A character's Vocation affects Stat Growths when leveling up - everytime the Arisen or Pawn level up, they gain 5 to 40 points in Health and Stamina, and between 0 and 6 points in the four offensive and defensive stats. Stat growth is greatest up to level 100, after which stat increases per level are reduced to somewhere between a half to a third of the previous growth.
There are a number of additional stats that primarily depend on equipment and weapons. These are:
- Knockdown (Damage and Resistance)
- Stagger (Damage and Resistance)
- Slashing Damage (expressed as Slash Strength and Piercing Resistance in game)
- Blunt Damage (expressed as Bludgeoning Strength and Striking Resistance in game)
- Elemental resistance - resistances to the Five Archmagicks
- Debilitation resistances - resistances to Debilitations
All are expressed as percentages - Knockdown, Stagger, and Debilitations appear to function as accumulative properties whose effects manifest themselves when a certain threshold is crossed - it is thought that a Knockdown or Poison Resistance of 70% means that only 30% of the knockdown or poison accumulation takes place compared to the 'naked' case. This may be a simplification - the Hellfire Armor Set reaches stagger and knockdown resistances of 112%, and has many debilitation resistances at 100% or over.
Elemental, Slashing, and Blunt resistances are thought to reduce the damage by the value of the resistance - thus an armor with slashing resistance of 30% would reduce slashing damage to 70% compared to the unarmed case.
Armor also contributes majorly to the calculated Defense, and to Magick Defense, whilst primary and secondary weapons add a contribution to Strength and or Magick, depending on whether they are physical or magickal weapons. Some augments also add small percentages or absolute increase to the core stats (eg Clout +20% Strength, or Vigilance +100 Health); rings also can increase primary and secondary stats in a wide variety of ways (eg Iris Ring prevents frozen, or Ring of Azure +15% ice resistance); and some armors also have a small bonus effect (eg Circlet +4 Magick).
A naked, unarmed human has stagger and knockdown powers of 100 each, and piercing, striking, knockdown, and stagger resistances of 0.
Experience and Levels
There are two experience measuring stats:
Experience points are awarded automatically for quests and battles, and when a threshold is passed levelling up happens automatically.
Discipline points are added at the same time as experience points, as a fraction of the experience earned on a sliding scale that reduces the relative amount of discipline points earned proportionate to the experience. Discipline points level up Discipline Level (Rank) just as experience increases character level - additionally the earnt points can be spent to learn new augments and skills.
The highest level reachable is level 200 - once reached, the character's level is represented by an infinity sign (ie ∞). The highest discipline level is 9, and there are separate discipline levels for each vocation.
Many players plan their Arisen's and/or their Pawn's stat growth. The following stat calculators can help determine the stats at various levels.
- Dragon's Dogma Stat Calculator
- In order to use it, please save a copy to the user's Google Drive or download the XSLX (ODS does not function correctly) file to the user's local system and then enter values as needed.
- Dragon's Dogma Stat Planner (online version)
- Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen New Build Planner
- Google account required to access.
- In order to use it please save a copy of the spreadsheet to your own Google Drive, download the spreadsheet as a .xlsx file (requires Microsoft Excel, may not function properly with all versions)( or send a Private Message to user Sosiego on GameFAQs to make a copy of the spreadsheet for your personal use.
- This a full build planner that allows users to not only calculate their Arisen and Main Pawn's base stats but also see what their stats will look like with weapons, armor, clothing and stat boosting augments equipped.
- The list of stat boosting augments does not include situational augments such as Autonomy, Bloodlust or Opportunism. ATK/MATK values for having those augments equipped will need to be manually calculated. Be advised that there is a +80% cap on ATK/MATK gains.
- Known bugs: Equipment not being selectable due to the sheet thinking no vocation has been selected. Simply hitting ESC and then trying again fixes the issue.