Strider is a Basic Vocation in Dragon's Dogma.
Wielding dual daggers and a shortbow, Striders deal damage with blinding speed and deadly accuracy. Striders also have trap abilities and trick arrows that allow them to confuse and disorient enemies.
Primary Weapon: Daggers
Secondary Weapon: Shortbow
Primary Offensive stat: Strength
Strengths and RoleEdit
Damage Dealer: Striders deal large amounts of damage at close range using flurries of lightning quick slashes with their daggers and can rain arrows down on foes with their quick-loosing shortbow from safe distances.
Maneuverable: Striders are fast on their feet. They move around the battlefield with speed and agility. They also have the ability to use tactical rolls and double jumps to evade enemy attacks. Their shortbows are great for firing arrows in quick succession while on the move, however, the Strider's Shortbows lack the range and power of the Ranger's Longbow.
Acrobat: Along with maneuverability on the battlefield, Striders have the ability to maintain grapples and climb larger creatures longer and faster than any other class, allowing them extended and quick access to enemy weak spots.
Versatility: Striders can serve as ranged damage dealers and assist Mages/Sorcerers or go in for the kill alongside other melee classes, giving them free rein on the battlefield while they use specialist pawns (Fighters, Warriors, and Mages for instance) to fill the front and back lines. As pawns, their versatility makes them able allies in a variety of combat situations.
Distraction: Dazzle Blast can stun and distract enemies from your teammates, allowing them to attack unhindered. The Ensnare/Implicate skill can be used to knock down smaller targets, up to and including monsters the size of a Saurian, useful for stopping quick targets like Wolves and opening them up to attacks. Many of the Strider's bow skills break through the guard of enemies to allow allies to attack freely; they also stun and interrupt the enemy in order to prevent casting spells and skill usage.
Strength and Magick: The Strider's stat growth is evenly balanced throughout all stats, however, Strength and Magick growth is mediocre.
Balanced Defense: Unlike Mages or Fighters, Striders do not excel in physical or magical defenses. They promote a more balanced defense making them vulnerable to either form of damage, especially early in the game.
Lack of Stun Power: Compared to most of the other builds in the game, Striders do not have as much ability to knock down stronger enemies early in the game. Even though they can unleash a flurry of blows, it is unlikely to stun enemies.
Speed Over Power: While the strider is the fastest of any other vocation, their damage output per hit in both melee and ranged combat is easily exceeded by the Warrior and Ranger vocations.
No blocking ability: Unable to equip shields, the Strider must rely on the dodge roll and dash skills to avoid attacks.
No sniping ability: Unlike the Ranger and Assassin, the Strider has no zoom-in skill which would allow for sniper shots from afar.
Total: 80,750 DP
|Scarlet Kisses||Already Learned||-||Concentrates a flurry of slashes on a single point, easily shredding foes with meager endurance.|
|Biting Wind||2||400||Dashes past the target with blades extended, delivering slashes that can be followed with further attacks on contact.|
|Toss and Trigger||4||700||
Steps in with a blade strike that sends the target aloft. Additional button presses throw and detonate a store of powder.
Casts out cords to snare lightweight foes, pulling them to the ground to incapacitate them. (Limited range)
|Helm Splitter||4||900||Dives through the air while spinning, blades extended. Especially effective when performed from high places.|
|Cutting Wind||5||900||An advanced form of Biting Wind. Slashes past the target, appending more strikes to the onslaught upon connecting with a foe.|
|Dazzle Hold||5||900||Casts a firework explosive into the fray that stuns nearby foes.|
|Reset||5||900||Returns the user to a neutral stance, eliminating openings caused by other actions.|
|Sprint||6||1,800||Leans in and dashes forward with blades drawn, ready to perform further feats with additional commands.|
|Advanced Trigger||6||1,400||An advanced Form of Toss and Trigger that detonates a larger store of powder.|
|Implicate||6||2,500||An advanced form of ensnare allowing the user to throw a snare to capture multiple targets at once. (Limited range)|
|Skull Splitter||6||2, 500||An advanced form of Helm Splitter that employs a faster spin to deliver a greater number of slashes during the spinning dive.|
|Mad Dash||6||2000||An advanced form of Sprint that reduces stamina consumption and extends the duration of the run.|
|Pilfer||6||2000||Steals items from foes caught unaware. Especially effective against foes who are sleeping, blinded, or being held by allies.|
|Hundred Kisses||7||2000||An advanced form of Scarlet Kisses that focuses a quick flurry of slashes on a single point, allowing for more strikes.|
|Dazzle Blast||7||2000||An advanced form of dazzle hold that tosses an explosive crafted to stun foes within a broader radius.|
|Instant Reset||7||2000||An advanced form of Reset employable even while under attack that returns the user to a neutral stance, eliminating openings caused by other actions.|
|Master Thief||8||3500||An advanced form of pilfer that lets the user steal multiple items at once and increases the chances of nabbing rare items.|
|Stepping Stone||8||3500||Leaps forward in a flying kick, then uses the target as a foothold to jump still higher.|
|Leaping Stone||9||5000||An advanced version of stepping stone. Kicks forward from an extended range, then jumps off the target high into the air.|
|Threefold Arrow||Already Learned||-||Fires Three arrows in rapid succession.|
|Triad Shot||1||200||Fires three arrows in a wedge pattern.|
|Cloudburst Volley||1||250||Sends a wall of arrows skyward to rain down on a broad area.|
|Full Bend||3||700||Draws the bow with all the user's might, then looses a shot straight ahead.|
|Pentad Shot||4||900||An advanced form of Triad Shot that fires Five arrows in a wedge pattern instead of three.|
|Downpour Volley||4||1,100||An advanced form of Cloudburst Volley that expands the area of the attack.|
|Mighty Bend||5||1,200||An advanced form of Full Bend that requires less time to nock the arrow, enabling faster successive firing.|
|Splinter Dart||6||2,000||Sends up an explosive arrow that splits in mid-air, showering the area with smaller missiles. Hold the bound button after shooting then release to make it explode at the desired height.|
|Fivefold Flurry||7||2,000||An advanced form of Threefold Arrow that fires five arrows in rapid succession.|
|Fracture Dart||8||3,500||An advanced form of Splinter Dart. Sends up an explosive arrow that splits in mid-air, showering an even wider area with smaller missiles.|
|Whistle Dart||8||3,500||Looses an arrow that produces a piercing screech, halting foes for a moment's time.|
|Shriek Dart||9||5000||An advanced version of whistle dart that emits a louder cry to stun more enemies.|
|Dagger||Carve||Already Learned||-||Continuous attacks with a dagger. Press X/Square repeatedly.|
|Dagger||Two Step||Already Learned||-||A two-level stabbing strike straight forward. Press Y/Triangle.|
|Dagger||Vault||Already Learned||-||Executes a jump to a higher location. Press A/X.|
|Dagger||Roundelay||1||600||An advanced form of Two-Step that appends a whirling slash to victims. Hold Y/Triangle.|
|Dagger||Engrave||1||800||An advanced form of a Carve that includes kicks after a flurry of dagger blows to strike at a broader range.|
|Dagger||Double Vault||5||1,800||An advanced form of Vault that kicks at the air to propel the user in a second leap.|
|Dagger||Forward Roll||5||2,200||Curls forward into a tumble effective as an evasive maneuver. Hold Right Bumper and press X/A.|
|Bow||Loose||Already Learned||-||Fires equipped bow. Can execute while moving.|
|Bow||Quick-Loose||2||600||Requires less time to notch the next arrow after firing.|
Enables the character to clamber up cliffs and other terrain more quickly.
|Endurance||2||700||Increases maximum Stamina by 100.|
|Damping||3||1,300||Decreases recoil after firing a bow.|
|Eminence||5||2,200||Increases the damage of Jumping Attacks by 30%.|
|Grit||5||2,200||Halves the recovery time when stamina is depleted.|
|Arm-Strength||7||4,500||Halves the Stamina consumed when clinging to objects or terrain.|
Makes the character one weight class lighter for the purpose of moving.
|HP||Stamina||Attack||Defense||Magick Attack||Magick Defense|
|HP||Stamina||Attack||Defense||Magick Attack||Magick Defense|
|Under Lvl 10||25||25||3||3||3||2|
- Brain Splitter is an exceptionally powerful offensive skill. A Gorechimera can be killed with just one button press. Use this in conjunction with Vault/Double Vault or the Leaping Stone skill and the Eminence Augment to maximize its power.
- Rusted Bow is arguably the single most useful weapon in the Strider's arsenal. Bring this weapon along to inflict Torpor on enemies, then switch to the most powerful bow available. Note that the higher the enhancement of the Rusted Bow, the higher the chance it will inflict Torpor. Only nine monster classes are immune to Torpor : Griffins, Cockatrices, ghost creatures, Eye creatures, Living Armor, The Ur-Dragon, The Dragon (Grigori), Death, and Daimon's second form.
- Hundred Kisses can be performed while climbing on top of a large enemy. This is probably the best skill for Striders to employ against both Daimon forms (slow him down with a Rusted Bow first to make it even easier).
- When climbing an enemy like a Gorecyclops or Daimon, equip the augments Opportunism, Arm-Strength and Adhesion. Equip Gloves of Might for even for grip and climbing speed.
- Cutting Wind is excellent for dodging and for attacking fast enemies like Hellhounds. The move will auto-lock on the nearest enemy if the control stick is not aimed in a specific direction. This skill is extremely effective on any enemy bearing a Shield or Magick Shield, as it will strike the unguarded rear flank on the return pass.
- Fivefold Flurry is the ranged skill to have at all times. It is the Strider's power shot.
- Downpour Volley is effective against large enemies like Gorecyclops.
- Instant Reset can be used to cancel out animations to rapidly repeat attacks like Brainsplitter, or to quickly stand back up after being knocked down. It can also be used for rapidly turning on and off the Lantern when the Arisen gets drenched. Also works with Assassin, Ranger and Magick Archer.
- Strider is the first vocation where one can obtain both the double vault and roll skills. These are essential for navigating terrain and dodging, as the Strider has no way of blocking incoming attacks.
- Double Vault allows you to jump and then change direction in mid-air to either side, or forward again to gain a small increase in distance and height. This works well when chests are located in odd places where it's easier to jump forward and right rather than diagonally or attempting a large gap.
- Use the Stepping/Leaping Stone skills to set up a combo with Skull/Brain Splitter.
- Ensnare/Implicate works well against any foe smaller than (and including) Saurians, including Harpies and Hellhounds. It's a quick way to pull them toward you or Pilfer as they hold them down.
- Sprint can be used to quickly close the distance between you and an enemy or to escape as well. It also serves as a slide when the Heavy Attack button is pressed, enabling you to slide under a much larger foe or trip a smaller foe, causing them to fall over. This is the dropkick maneuver Ogres are known to use.
- Being close to one's target maximizes a shortbow's damage output, unlike the Ranger's Longbow:
|31-90 Meters||Very Low|
- The Vocation's name is most likely based off another Capcom video game franchise character, Strider Hiryu, although the name "Strider" is used interchangably for Aragorn II in the Lord of the Rings books written in 1954 by JRR Tolkien.
- The Equipment of the Strider in the Change Vocation Menu is: