The Ancient Quarry is located west of Gran Soren, connecting Southern and Central Gransys. The eastern entrance is from the Estan Plains (near the abandoned Miner's Hut, and the western exit is approximately halfway between The Shadow Fort and the Rest Camp in the Devilfire Grove region.
The quarry consists of a main tunnel running from exit to exit, via a central area where quarrying has taken place, there are a number of side and minor tunnels. An Abandoned Mine is located off the main route through the quarry, consisting of a forge, and human made tunnels.
On first stepping into this area, it will be filled with bandits and monsters, and the grills of its main gates will be lowered; the merchant Alon will be loitering directly outside the eastern entrance to this area. Eliminating the monsters, and opening the gates for Alon are part of the quest Of Merchants and Monsters.
Once the quarry has been cleared and the quest finished, The Ancient Quarry will become a safe zone, allowing the Arisen to run through without fear of monsters or loss of stamina. Alon will then move to the Abandoned Mine, and set up a shop that supplies some useful warrior and fighter equipment.
The quarry serves as a useful shortcut from Gran Soren to The Shadow Fort, more so once free of monsters. Further, it can be used to access the northern section of Gransys before completion of Off With Its Head.
Seven days after acquiring the Promissory Notes two miners near the entrance will have excavated two additional mine tunnels containing four new treasure chests.
Before completing Of Merchants and Monsters the quarry contains the half a dozen bandits near the Abandoned Mine, whilst the galleries of the mine contains a Skeleton Knight and several Undead, as well as Giant Bat. Side passages near the western exit contain several Goblins. The most dangerous creatures in the mine are three Ogres who have made their homes in the passages.
After completing Of Merchants and Monsters the mine becomes populated with people: all have escort quests that will start from the notice board at the Union Inn in Gran Soren. The guards want to go to Bloodwater Beach, and they offer some decent rewards. The miners want to visit the Shadow Fort but they offer only mediocre rewards.
- Alon - Shopping - sells unique "Berserk" anime gear, as well as other melee weapons, and some preserved items.
- Nilson and Robyn - miners
- Ser Samwell and Ser Constans - guards
Minables, Items and LootEdit
As befits a mine the quarry is a good source of various ores, both common and rare; including : Rock, Copper Ore, Silver Ore, Gold Ore, Unremarkable Ore, Burst-Rock, Firefly Stone, Southron Iron, Pretty Stone, or Ancient Ore (rare).
Additionally the mine is quite rich in common items scattered about, such as Rotten Beast-Steaks , Rotten Scrag of Beast, Harspud Milk, Harspud Juice, Apples, Sour Scrag of Beast, and Cloudwine. Small or single quantities of throwblasts, Curious Wine and Sobering Wine may be also be found.
The mine is also a good place to collect, as well as some Skulls, as well as large amounts of Tuft of Hair which is found in scatter piles near to where the ogres, probably their nests. The plant White Sage and Avernal Mushrooms are common here.
Additionally a small deposit of rarish foods has been made in the main area, possibly as an offering to placate the Ogre - here can be found a Sour Ambrosial Meat, Sour Beast-Steaks, Salubrious Brew, and several Festival Pies behind destructible crates, near the chest containing the Final Journal Entry.
There are several chests in the mine :
- Chest in the Abandoned Mine where Alon makes his shop : Reinforced Longbow, Obliteratrix, or Thousand Troops
- Chest in the room east of Abandoned Mine:
- First chest in the central area, right wall : Final Journal Entry
- Second chest in the central area, right wall : Bronze Bangles
- Chest in the far south east part of the quarry : Ogre Bone, Bronze Cuirass, Iron Lorica or Helical Archistaff
- Chest in the far south east part of the quarry hidden atop a niche in the stones : Ferric Talon, Scalding Razors, or Eden's Warden
- Chests in the southwest part of the quarry : Knight's Mantle, Adventurer's Cloak, Angel's Periapt, Ring of Gules, Downcuffs & Cuisses, or Battle Greaves
- Last chest before the southern exit: Dose of Strength, Thunderclap or Conqueror's Periapt
There are also chests in the parts of the mine opened up by miners after acquiring the two Promissory Notes :
- Area beyond the gated area where the Quarry Key was found:
- In the other mined area
- Of Merchants and Monsters - open the gates and clear the mine of all monsters.
- Search Party - collect all five Journal Entries
- A Bookkeeper's Bind - Alon sells the necessary Promissory Notes
- The Wyrmking's Ring - Salomet briefly takes up residence in the mine before moving to the Bluemoon tower.
Pawn Travel KnowledgeEdit
- Have a pawn comment on the pressure plate for the gated room that contains the Quarry Key.
- Have a pawn acknowledge the locked wooden door in the miners' barracks that requires the Quarry Key to open. This star is very easily missed as pawns only comment if the door is still locked and you may have to wait a few seconds for them to do so.
- Reach the central room that contains the second pressure plate and an Ogre.
- Purchase the two Promissory Notes from Alon. A few game days later, two inner walls in the Ancient Quarry go down, and both of the rooms the walls reveal must be entered:
- Enter the new room at the end of the area behind the gated room where the Quarry Key is found, listen for a pawn comment.
- Enter the revealed tunnel in the miner's barracks and listen for a pawn comment.
Simply enter into The Ancient Quarry to unlock the achievement/trophy Into the Ancient Quarry