- Caution ! Completing both the Trials and Tribulations and Griffin's Bane quests will cause this quest to fail if it had not yet been finished.
WalkthroughEditDuke's Demesne in the Noble Quarter.
Watch either of the two video walkthroughs below, depending on whether the party will be entering from the east or west entrances.
Entering from the west entrance offers a much shorter and clearer path to the Confidential Letter.
Avoid the night guards and wait for Fedel by the gazebo in the eastern garden area, which is circled on the map. Lurking in the room to the east of the gazebo is safest, as there is a guard who exits the castle's door before Fedel arrives.
Reaching the correct ledge in Soulflayer Canyon can be a little tricky, but a pawn with full knowledge of this quest and Soulflayer Canyon will lead the Arisen to it.
From the west entrance, take a left at the passage fork.
After slaying the Cyclops on the bridge, continue straight until reaching a treasure chest on the left side and a steep downward grade on the right side.
Slide down the left side of this grade to the landing with two Godsthrone Blossoms (sliding down the right side leads to the main entrance) .
Slide down two more times toward the left to another area that may contain a snake and two spiders.
Slay the Gargoyle and collect the Confidential Letter as well as the Parcels lying scattered on the ground. (Another parcel can be found in the rubble of the destroyed cart, back at the Cursewood road junction - ten are required for another quest Parcel Service.)
Give either copy (real or forged) to either man to complete the quest.
The game's storyline will not be altered either way the Arisen handles this quest, but for the record it would appear that Fedel is correct about signs of a rebellion, whereas Ser Gabrian is attempting a cover-up by preventing news of it from reaching the duke.
- The letter refers to the soldiers who later rebel at Windbluff Tower. As such, Fedel is correct in his suspicions. Ser Gabrian is almost certainly trying to intercept the letter and thus is in league with the treachery at Windbluff Tower.
- Once Ser Gabrian is given the letter (or a forged copy of it), the quest will be marked as "Completed". However, the Arisen can still deliver the letter to Fedel upstairs in the castle. If the current active quest does not involve Fedel, he will have a blue question mark indicator over his head. He may speak as though the quest failed, but the "give quest item to NPC" popup menu should still appear, allowing the Arisen to turn in the letter and trigger the quest ending as usual.
- Upon entering Soulflayer Canyon through the eastern entrance near the Cursewood, the Gargoyle is visible from the open area where the Sulfur Saurians and can be shot at from afar with the Ranger's Comet Shot or the Assassin's Lyncean Sight skill.
- Badge of Vows 47 is found near the destroyed cart at the crossroads.