35 Rift Crystals
WalkthroughEditFedel at nightfall, wait by the area marked on your map. You may not find Fedel at the prescribed location right away, but he will slowly make his way from the castle to the garden area. Just have a little bit of patience.
It ends when you bring back the Confidential Letter to Fedel, Ser Gabrian, or both (via use of a forgery). Please note, this is one way to get the trophy/achievement The Knave. By using the forgery option you will be able to obtain the reward for the quest twice, from Fedel and Ser Gabrian. It is best given at night, however, as then you can give it to both of them at the same time. It will say, "COMPLETED" but Fedel will still come out with a blue "?" over his head.
For those of purer intentions, it would appear that Fedel is correct about signs of a rebellion and Ser Gabrian is trying to prevent news of it from reaching the duke.
For those having difficulty navigating Soulflayer Canyon. Take a left at the fork-in-the-road. After defeating the Cyclops on the bridge, continue straight until you reach a steap grade. Slide down the left side to a landing that you'd miss had you gone right; the second slide, stay left (the right side will send you sliding to your doom); the third, stay right. While retrieving the Confidential Letter, make sure to pick up the 10 Parcels lying next to it on the ground, for another quest, Parcel Service. Must be completed before the completion of both the quests, Trials and Tribulations and Griffin's Bane, otherwise this quest will be cancelled.
- 4/16/2013 : Just completed this quest WAY after Trials and Tribulations so THAT part is not true (at least not anymore, game patch/update maybe...). But I haven't' started Griffin's bane yet though. Also, I turned it in to Fedel in the middle of the day on the stairs behind the throne with the Duke sitting in it. So apparently it doesn't need to be turned in at night anymore either.
- 5/26/2013 : After defeating Griffin's Bane, you can still do this quest, just don't report back yet to Aldous or this quest will be cancelled, and you can not undo it because it will automatically save the game, unless you're quick and can quit the game before it'll be saved. I've completed Trials and Tribulations without affecting this quest as well. - "Dark Arisen"
If you're playing as a character who has Frigor and Levitate, the parcels can be reached rather easily. Create an ice platform (via Frigor) right at the edge of the cliff near the right of where you entered the Canyon. After that, do a dashing jump off of the ice platform and then levitate the rest of the way to the other cliff in the distance. Move forward a little after landing and you'll reach the area with the parcel. Of course, if the timing on levitate is bad, or frigor wasn't positioned properly, you'll fall to your doom instead.
- 6/10/2013 : This does not work as frigor will not make a stepping stone far enough for you to make the jump and levitate right, tried multiple times with the furthest I could make the stepping stone. I would land a few inches, not even that, short every time.
If you refuse to give the letter to Ser Gabrian when you speak with him, you will not be able to offer him the letter or a forgery later. Be sure to make a forgery before speaking with either person. Both can be turned in and the quest reward obtained twice.
- Completing both quests Trials and Tribulations and Griffin's Bane will cancel this quest.
- Entering from the West Entrance that is near the Greatwall is the shortest way to reach the destination.
- It appears that if you give Fedel the letter without opening or reading it you get a unique dialogue.