- "Return the Confidential Letter to Fedel."
From Fedel to the Cursewood
Sleep at the inn until night and head to the Duke's Demesne in the Noble Quarter. Avoid the night guards and wait for Fedel by the gazebo in the eastern garden area. There Fedel will explain his quest and direct the Arisen to a location in the Cursewood where the lost confidential report was stolen by flying monsters.
Into Soulflayer Canyon
Now travel to Soulflayer Canyon to retrieve the letter. Reaching the correct ledge in the canyon can be a little tricky, but a pawn with full knowledge of this quest and Soulflayer Canyon will lead the Arisen directly to it.
From the west entrance, take a left at the passage fork. After slaying the Cyclops on the bridge, continue straight until reaching a treasure chest on the left side and a steep downward grade on the right side. Slide down the left side of this grade to the landing with two Godsthrone Blossoms (sliding down the right side leads to the main entrance). Slide down two more times toward the left to another area that may contain a snake and two spiders.
Collect some gold pouches, a Panacea and two Sconces on the left before encountering yet another downward slide. Slide down the right side of this downward grade to a landing with more gold pouches, the fleeing Gargoyle, quest items scattered on the ground, and a chest containing a Steel Beak.
If entering from the east, just traverse the tunnels of the canyon until the fork after the west entrance is reached, and continue as above.
Return to Gran Soren
Upon entering the Duke's Demesne the Arisen will be accosted by Ser Gabrian who was lurking behind a corner to the right of the entrance. This is the only opportunity to speak to Ser Gabrian. Either give him a copy or refuse. If refused, the letter must then be taken to Fedel.
Rewards and outcomes
By forging the letter, the Arisen can obtain the gold and experience reward for the quest twice: first when giving one to Ser Gabrian near the entrance, and the second to Fedel. To collect both rewards, Ser Gabrian must be given his copy first, then Fedel the second one.
The game's storyline will not be altered either way the Arisen handles this quest, though Fedel is correct about signs of a rebellion. It seems the letter refers to the soldiers who later rebel at Windbluff Tower. Ser Gabrian is almost certainly trying to intercept the letter and thus is in league with the treachery at Windbluff Tower.
- Obtaining both rewards
Once Ser Gabrian is given the letter (or a forged copy of it), the quest will be marked as "Completed". However, the Arisen can still deliver a copy of the letter to Fedel upstairs in the castle.
- If the current active quest does not involve Fedel, he will have a blue question mark indicator over his head. He may speak as though the quest failed, but the it will still be possible for the Arisen to give him the letter.
- If the player plans to give Ser Gabrian a Confidential Letter Forgery, carry an original Confidential Letter in the Arisen's active inventory or the cutscene will not trigger.
- Caution ! Completing both the Trials and Tribulations and Griffin's Bane quests will cause this quest to fail if it is not already complete.
- Fedel will always observe that the seal on the letter is unbroken, whether given a forgery or not.
- Upon entering Soulflayer Canyon through the eastern entrance near the Cursewood, the Gargoyle is visible from the open area where the Sulfur Saurians and can be shot at from afar with the Ranger's Comet Shot or the Assassin's Lyncean Sight skill.
- Badge of Vows 47 may be found near the remains of the cart at the crossroads.