It is the very first chapter as the player starts a New Game, although it is removed from the Quest Log after completion. The End at the Beginning serves as a Tutorial, teaching the player some combat controls and how to issue orders to Pawns.
This quest is skipped in New Game Plus.
- The Arisen is destined to defy the Dragon, who terrorizes and destroys the land. With the assistance of his faithful Pawns, Savan has to fight his way through the Wyrm's lair before he would face the fearsome creature.
Pursue the Dragon
- Confront the Dragon
- You've met with the Dragon and the chapter for this story comes to a close
The player controls Savan, an Arisen of ages past, who enters the lair of the Dragon together with his Main Pawn, Salde. A first tutorial message invites the use of a lantern, introducing the inventory mechanics. The player is also advised to browse the Pause Menu and give a try to the basic combat moves.
Confront the DragonEdit
The Dragon shows itself, but the two Fighters have to go through the Wyrm's lair before they can face it. Dispatch a few Goblins first, before reaching a Rift Stone. The Arisen can use this Rift Stone and summon two additional Pawns to fight at Savan's side: Quince, the Strider, and Morganna, the Mage. Afterwards, a quick display on how to issue orders to the Arisen's Pawns is shown.
Proceeding through the dungeon, another band of goblins will appear. Upon reaching a corridor afterward, a brief cutscene foreshadows the confrontation with a Chimera that will close the prologue. In the next room, the Arisen is attacked by a group of harpies. After this fight, Savan will meet Ser Palotti who came to assist, together with two other knights. Their support is very short-lived, however, as a Chimera leaps out of the shadows onto one of the knights and rips him to shreds. This battle is the final confrontation of the tutorial.
Once the Chimera is successfully defeated, a cutscene will play and will conclude the tutorial quest. The player is then given access to the Character Creation menu, where they are able to create and customize their own Arisen and embark on their journey.
The cutscene concludes the prologue and unlocks the trophy or achievement, "It Begins."
- Arisen and three Pawns : Savan, Quince, Morganna, and Salde
- Soldiers: Ser Palotti, Ser Ashrore, Estoni, Ser Macklyn, and other short-lived anonymous knights.
- If physically encouraged into the final chamber (picked up and thrown into the chamber) where the Chimera is located, Ser Ashrore, Ser Macklyn, and Ser Estoni will not be trapped behind the rockfall and will fight with great valour against the monster for the greater glory of their ancestors and descendants.
- Doing so greatly simplifies the battle, and the soldiers' physical attacks greatly contribute, but the Chimera is strong and it is not likely that all will survive.
- Dying during the battle with the Chimera will progress the the player to the Character Creation screen; dying elsewhere will require the quest to be replayed.
- This area is revisited later in the game. Most of the monsters seen in the Prologue are replaced with much stronger versions.
- The Prologue is the penultimate part of Savan's quest, which continues from the story laid out in the four-part Dragon's Dogma Digital Comic.
Below is the quote shown at the beginning of the quest:
A vast army formed to slay a dragon, the ultimate
incarnation of evil. But against such fearsome
resistance, the army was crushed.
The people's hopes fell upon a chosen one,
and with those who followed this gifted soul...
|The End at the Beginning · Harbinger of Destruction · Newly Arisen · Upon a Pawn|
Call of the Arisen · A Rude Awakening · Off With Its Head ·A Matter of Myrmidons
Lure of the Abyss · The Cypher · A Fortress Besieged · Seeking Salvation · The Watergod's Altar
Come to Court · Griffin's Bane · Trial and Tribulations · Pride Before a Fall · The Wyrmking's Ring
Honor and Treachery · Reward and Responsibility · Deny Salvation · The Final Battle
|A Warm Welcome · Fathom Deep · Final Judgement · The Great Hereafter|