Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
In this quest the Arisen finally must face and defeat the great Dragon, Grigori, at The Tainted Mountain Temple, and on The Tainted Mountain itself. Doing so grants unique Dragon weapons, the Godsbane, and ends the main quest - beginning the cataclysmic events of the finale of the game.
Onward to the DragonEdit
Before returning to the Greatwall Encampment and entering The Tainted Mountain Temple, prepare for this epic battle. Bring health and stamina curatives, select skills and augments, and choose weapons and equipment.
Once prepared and within the Greatwall castle go straight ahead to the cell door leading downstairs to the Tainted Mountain. The staircase leading to upper areas will have been destroyed and no longer accessible.
Getting to the Tainted MountainEdit
Here new enemies are found, firstly on the 'Path to Dragon's Domain' are Geo Saurians who are far more resilient than regular Saurians, then flying Succubi, capable of inflicting Curse and Blind. Move onward the through the tunnels to a pillared 'Temple Antechamber' with more Saurians. Here are several chests with new weapons or armour, and scattered curatives and gold.
Beyond this chamber a Spider infested passage leads to a the 'Grand Hall', guarded by a Gorechimera, a more powerful type of the chimera species. Defeat the Gorechimera and then stand on each of the four pressure plates around the room to open the great door. Beyond the door is the The Dragon, Grigori.
The Battle with the DragonEdit
After entering the Dragon's Lair, there will be a monologue where the Dragon will give the Arisen an offer: Face him in battle or sacrifice the Arisen's Beloved.
Choose battle to save the Beloved, and face the Dragon. Battle is also initiated if the Arisen pre-emptively attacks the Dragon.
The first part of the final battle with the Dragon involves escaping the temple, whilst the Dragon attempts to kill the Arisen, destroying the structure of the temple in the process - run from the Dragon as it pursues through a corridor, and then in the next large chamber inflict damage by striking his heart- which will expose it. The Dragon will then fly off, and the Arisen must now pursue him. (Here a chest in the hall contains Molten Boots.)
The party now leaves the Temple and enters ruins of a great city, on the slopes of The Tainted Mountain. The pursuit takes place on a high bridges in the open leading to watchtowers. After reaching the bridge, there is a Ring of Argent in a chest on the right/east side of the bridge. You should open this chest before triggering the bridge section of the fight.
The Dragon will try to collapse the bridges the Arisen is standing on. Run with to the first tower, and take temporary refuge there (here is a chest containing Flame Skirt and another chest on the stairs leading up the first tower (on the left) containing Dragon Hide Bracers) before traversing a second bridge to face the Dragon. At the second tower is a chest containing a Stalwart Earring, and atop the tower are two further chests containing a Dragon Band and Champion's Bangles.
At the top of the tower the fight with the Dragon is resumed. Either Arisen or pawns must mount a ballista and fire a bolt at the Dragon's heart. The Dragon will strafe the tower and the Arisen manage to affix themselves on the Dragon's back.
Journey to the mountain summitEdit
Following the Arisen miraculously grabbing onto the Dragon's tail at the tower the Dragon will fly with great speed towards its nest on the Tainted Mountain summit. Climb forward, against the rush of wind toward the glowing "heart" on its back. (Avoid being thrown off during quicktime events by rotating the L-stick rapidly.)
After striking the heart, the Dragon will be felled from flight and fall to the ground, together with the Arisen (another quicktime event requires the Arisen to avoid being eaten). The final showdown with the Dragon then commences on the Tainted Mountain summit - a circular crater like battlefield. Here are several minor items to be gathered including a Noble Earring near to the start position on the ground. Other items include a Harmonious Earring, a Golden Belt, and an Exuberant Earring.
Fight and defeat the Dragon. (Refer to the page Grigori for tactics and other details.) In general the Dragon's heart is his primary weakness. The organ must be exposed and attacked to inflict significant damage; the Dragon is weak to Dark, not Ice or Holy; the Dragon may fly away and attack from out of range, ballistae located around the rim of the battlefield can be used to bring to ground once more; Pawns may reduce the Dragon's heart to 1 HP, but only the Arisen can strike the final blow
Base rewards of 65,000 Gold, 80,000 Exp, 60 Rift Crystals, Godsbane, and Crimson Dragon Scale; in addition all the Arisen's equipped weapons and armour will be dragonforged. In addition one or two unique Dragon weapons will be rewarded based on the player's vocation, and current equipment: either
- Dragon's Dogma (Sword)
- Dragon's Toll (Mace)
- Dragon's Bite (Longsword)
- Dragon's Repast (Warhammer)
- Dragon's Vein (Daggers)
- Dragon's Nous (Staff)
- Dragon's Wit (Archistaff)
- Dragon's Aegis (Shield)
- Dragon's Faith (Magick Shield)
- Dragon's Rancor (Bow)
- Dragon's Blink (Longbow)
- Dragon's Breath (Magick Bow)
On defeating the Dragon the Arisen's heart scar will be mended - the story then continues with the Arisen awakening in their house in Cassardis. The story continues as part of the quest A Warm Welcome.
Preparation and considerationsEdit
- The checkpoint for the final battle with the Dragon is the chimera guarded door beyond the Grand Hall - prior to passing the door the party can enter and leave the Tainted without affecting the questline - enemies may return if long enough passes.
- Once past the door the final battle is initiated and return is not possible.
- The enemies in the Tainted Mountain Temple are weak to Holy and Ice.
- The Dragon is vulnerable to Dark, and as he is a large enemy, consider preparing with skills and equipment that aids climbing.
- Everything the Arisen is wearing/wielding will be Dragonforged on defeating the Dragon.
- Complete any dangling or unfinished quests before facing the Dragon. eg rescue the gardener in An Innocent Man.
- At the top of the round tower in the temple Pawns can fire the ballistae and hit the Dragon's heart, so open the chests as soon as possible if the items within are desired.
The Tainted Mountain Temple contains many chests with useful weapons and equipment. (For full details see The Tainted Mountain Temple.)
Once the Dragon has been encountered the only way to progress is forward, and due to rockfall this part of the quest represents a one off opportunity to visit and obtain items from the Tainted Mountain; in the final chamber of the temple a chest which holds Molten Boots; beyond the chamber the route leads out into The Tainted Mountain where six chests along the route contain:
- If the beloved is sacrificed to the Dragon the game will end with the Arisen as a lord of Gransys - this unlocks the Solitude Achievement/Trophy.
- The Dragon can be killed with a Maker's Finger at the first encounter in the temple - however all cutscenes will be skipped and pawns will not learn bestiary knowledge of The Dragon nor quest knowledge of The Final Battle. Rare equipment found further on (Dragon Band, Flame Skirt, Dragon Hide Bracers, and Champion's Bangles) will also be missed.
- For strategies to ensure the specific person is captured by the Dragon, see Beloved.
- In early conceptions of the history and geography of Gransys the final battle was to take place on a separate 'Dragon Isle' to
- At the Tainted Mountain Peak, at the initial 'landing' point a gather spot a very short distance towards the Dragon always yields a useful earring.
- It is not necessary to defeat the Gore-Chimera to proceed - an alternative is to taunt the beast onto each of the pressure plates using its own weight to unlock the door - the giant door will open irrespective of whether or not the Gorechimera lives.
- ps3xbox360With the introduction of Dark Arisen, it seems if the player leaves The Tainted Mountain and quits the game after having activated at least one pressure plate but has not opened the door, it will become impossible to subsequently open the door and continue the game.