This once impressive structure is located on a elevated outcropping by the southern coast south of the Vestad Hills. It has fallen into disrepair, and is now a base for bandit - a troop named the Iron Hammer Bandits led by one called Maul.
Much of the fort's structure is decayed, with broken doors and missing roofs, though its main walls still stand - the main gate leads north across a wooden bridge to the path up towards the Manamia Trail - there are also exits to the east and west. The main tower keep is ruinous.
The bandits have made camp in the castle's outer ward, and gather there at night. They also still make use of the main and side towers.
There is a jetty on the coast, accessed by a steep track from the castle.
The bandits, led by Maul, each have names derived from weapons. They are Anelace, Basilard, Caravel, Claymore, Culverin, Falchion, Glaive, Hammer, Lance, Mace, Mercygiver, Pike, Ranseur, Sling and Voulge.
In chests :
- Salomet's Grimoire may be found in a chest at the highest point of the castle. Under certain conditions, such as when attacked the bandits will hide the chest.
- Chainmail Bracers, Weak Guard or Hunter's Jacket in a chest atop the right lookout tower when viewed from the northern bridgeway main entrance .
- Wyrmward Perfume in a chest next to some boxes on the ramp going from the outer ward to the main towe
- Red Leather Armor, Bandit's Glove, Rose Ring, or Ring of Gules - in a small room within the castles eastern walls.
- Chest in a the larger square room in the ruined tower keep - either a Incognito Mask (common) or a Large Coin Pouch.
- Wakestone Shard atop the remnants of the southwestern lookout tower facing the sea.
- Ferrystone located on the tip of a boat at the jetty.
- Additionally various items may be found about, a a considerable quantity of Cloudwine can be found in throughout the castle.
- A Hero's Worth - kill bandits
- Reclaim the Roads - kill more bandits
- Thick as Thieves - kill even more bandits, this time for Ophis
- A Troublesome Tome - obtain a grimoire
- Smells Suspicious - obtain some Dragon repellent
- No Honor Among Thieves - complete tasks for Maul
- Badge of Vows 67 - on the castle outcrop
- Badge of Vows 79 - on a castle tower
- The bandit's at the fort are initially hostile, but will allow the Arisen entry once news of his or her fame reaches them.
- The bandits at Aernst Castle are much like their counterparts, the female bandits at The Ruins of Heavenspeak Fort, and will not normally attack the Arisen unless provoked.
- When provoked they will tell you to "Bogger off." or "Piss off." or "I'll bleed you dry.".