A fortress nestled between two cliffs that guards passage between them. It is the main focus in the quest A Fortress Besieged, and may not be entered until the quest is started. The fort is reached from Devilfire Grove and grants access to the Frontier Caverns.
The Shadow Fort in Gransys is entered through gates from the south, and is divided into two areas by a second fortified wall with gates. A northern exit is accessed by a gatehouse built into the northernmost wall. From southern to northern entrances the fort runs approximately northwest.
The southern area is mostly empty, containing a few fallen trees, Armor Piles and other miscellaneous detritus. A rough tunnel has been dug as an alternative access to the northern area - this is the starting point of the quest A Fortress Besieged.
The northern area has two equally tall towers on either side of the entrance which abut the side rock walls and entrances. The western tower holds the Shadow Fort Lever mechanism, whilst the eastern tower houses a ballista.
The open area in the middle field of the northern area contains several climbable lookout towers, and to the west a storehouse and prison - the Station Room.
Numerous goblin built tunnels run under the open area, with entrances in the northern part of the inner field, as well as adjacent south of, and within the storehouse-prison. Only characters under 150cm in height can enter these tunnels.
The northernmost side of the fort has another fortified wall, with a gate to the region beyond, protected by a gatehouse-keep. There is also another small storeroom with an initially barricaded door, which can be entered from above or through the goblin's tunnels.
The keep is built on three levels, with an entrance at the bottom level. The first level contains an open parapet with two ballistae, and a gate to the region beyond. The upper level contains a single large main room, the "Commandant's Antechamber".
Near the entrance to the keep is a tunnel leading to the Frontier Caverns.
Pawn Travel Knowledge
- One of the travel markers is on the first floor open platform with ballistae in the northern gatehouse.
- Traveling through the goblin tunnels underneath the main area will gain another travel knowledge star. This means the Arisen will need to be 150cm or shorter to get inside these tunnels.
During the quest A Fortress Besieged and during Post-Game, the northern area will have been taken over by Goblins, Hobgoblins and Cyclopes. Two Prisoner Gorecyclopes are encountered here during An Unseen Rival II.
- A Fortress Besieged
- An Unseen Rival II - Slay the Prisoner Gorecyclopes held at the Shadow Fort.
- The destination of several escort quests. For a route and guidance, see Escort Quest Walkthroughs.
- A Portcrystal in one of the cells in the Station Room (Dark Arisen only).
- A Liquid Vim on the first table when entering the Station Room, and another in the main room on the top floor of the keep.
- Cyclops Veil in a chest on the roof of the stairwell of the southeastern structure in the northern area.
- Lupine Veil in a chest on a ledge in the northwestern most corner of the fortress.
- Chimera Strategy Vol. 1 may be found in a chest near the northern gatehouse entrance.
- Cockatrice Strategy Vol. 2 in a chest on scaffolding adjacent to the wall of the northern gatehouse.
- Griffin Strategy Vol. 1 in a chest next to the gate lever, behind some breakable crates.
- Barreled Helm, Bandit Stalkers or Bone Armor in a chest in goblin tunnels.
- Fiend's Perch and Grandblossom can only be found here.