The Tainted Mountain Temple is located in the high mountains dividing east Gransys from west. It is accessed from The Greatwall castle via a low level passage, and leads to a former Kingdom in the mountains, located on the slopes of The Tainted Mountain.
The temple leads to the showdown with the Dragon in both Savan's and the Arisen's story.
At the time of Savan, as retold in the quest The End at the Beginning, the temple was inhabited by monsters including Goblins, Hobgoblins, Snow Harpies and a Chimera. During this time the King's (or Duke's) army assaulted the temple in an attempt to attack and defeat the Dragon, but they were beaten back, taking great losses. Ser Ashrore in the Holding Room will explain briefly what has happened, if spoken to.
There is a Chest in the middle of the Temple Antechamber, and another in the passage leading from there to the Grand Hall. There is also Liquid Vim on the top of one of the pillars in the largest of the rooms.
The Temple, especially the interior is full of curatives, gold, and other items; often in out of the way places.
A Weapon/Armor Pile on the Path to Dragon's Domain gives rarer Rusted Weapons, and another at the far end of the Grand Hall behind a pillar always yields a Tattered Mantle. Additionally in the Holding Room there is a Liquid Vim and the knowledge scroll Draconian Strategy Vol. 2 may be found in one of the weapon piles.
Even after The Final Battle part of the The Tainted Mountain is still accessible from the Grand Hall, and contains two chests with very high quality weapons or armor. See The Tainted Mountain § After the Dragon
The temple is home to Geo Saurians, Succubi, and Hellhounds, as well as a Gorechimera and Spiders. There are numerous decayed or mummified bodies in the temple proper, possibly those of former pilgrims - some of these can be searched for minor items, such as Oil.
- Dark Arisen
- In Aid of the Emerald King III (slay 4 Pyre Saurians at The Tainted Mountain Temple)
- In Aid of the Emerald King II (slay the Eliminator at The Tainted Mountain Temple)
- The far part of the Temple, including the place where the Dragon roosts is covered in the article The Tainted Mountain.
- The area is available only during the prologue quest The End at the Beginning, during The Final Battle in the main game, and can be explored during the Post-Game.
- (Speculation) In the prologue a Chimera is battled and slain before the Dragon is encountered. Curiously, the Gorechimera encountered pre-Dragon is in the exact same spot as where this Chimera was defeated a century prior - it is possible that Gorechimeras are actually undead Chimeras, as in the Post-Game when the world is corrupted by darkness the Chimeras prowling certain locations are replaced by (or maybe even transformed into) Gorechimeras.