- This article is about the quest. For the location see : The Watergod's Altar (Location).
- Protect a survey party investigating ruins that may offer new insights on the dragon.
- (Wyrm Hunt Quest)
The goal of this quest is to assist a research team investigating The Watergod's Altar. In order to do so you must travel there and rendezvous with the researchers there.
Speak with Father Geffrey Edit
The falls and altar are reached via a narrow path branching west off the Manamia Trail south of The Mountain Waycastle. The path here is controlled by Goblins. The falls are reached by following and crossing the mountain river. Once at the falls speak with Haslett.
Find the Missing BrotherEdit
A short distance inward the way will be blocked by a gap with a raised drawbridge, and another route blocked by a closed magical door. At the drawbridge Take the stairs to the left down and continue down to a large chamber. Slay all the Saurians within, and retrieve the Watergod's Altar Lever from the inner chamber.
The lowered drawbridge gives access to an open upper area, with water below, with broken walkways - Skeleton Mages and Saurians await the party here. The left path is the easiest route to the Offering Chamber and completion of the quest. The monk Jean's remains should be found a short way into the chamber.
Report Jean's Demise to HaslettEdit
At this point the party may return to Haslett to inform him of his friends fate. If spoken to he will request the Arisen and pawns return to the chamber to retrieve stone engravings which may be of value to the study of the Dragon.
Investigate the RuinsEdit
Once Haslett is spoken to the sub-quest Investigate the Ruins begins.
In the Offering Chamber again, beyond the unfortunate monks remains is an Cyclops - if not already dispatched, kill this creature to obtain the Watergod Altar Key. This key unlocks the magic door encountered on the right side of the path inwards before the drawbridge.
Within area Sulfur Saurians and further in Skeleton Mages and Skeleton Warriors - defeat these to gain access to the pressure switch at the far end of this section of the cavern. Standing on the stone activates a mechanism which drains the lower caverns of water, allowing access to the Altar's lower areas. This area contains further Skeletons, Phantasms and a small Cyclops.
Report Your FindingsEdit
- Reward: 15,000 XP
Preparations and considerationsEdit
- During the quest this cavern contains the same creatures as it would as other times - that is various Saurians, and Skeletons as well as a large and a small Cyclops, some Phantasms and Giant Bats, Snakes, and Giant Rats.
- Each of the five Altar Slates are heavy (9.5 kg each), so a full party with a high encumbrance carrying capacity will help complete this quest.
- Wearing a Ring of Desiccation (obtained by purifying Bitterblack Gear Lv.3) will prevent lanterns from extinguishing (Arisen & Main Pawn only) in this wet dungeon.
- Pawns may haphazardly fall in the water and be taken by the Brine - it is wise to avoid collecting any slates before the area is drained to avoid this. Alternatively this can be exploited to lighten the party's load by throwing a heavily encumbered pawn into the water..
- Before handing over the 5 Altar Slates to Haslett outside the Watergod's Altar entrance, consider duplicating an extra copy of an Altar Slate (they're all identical) at the Black Cat to make completion of this quest a breeze for future playthroughs.
- Alternatively the five slates can be collected but not turned in, completing other quests for progression - these slates can be used to rapidly progess during a Speed Run game.
- If the option "Hear the Duke's Directive" is chosen when speaking to Ser Maximilian, the quest Come to Court will start and Ser Maximillian will retrieve the Wyrm Hunt License, terminating this or any other uncompleted Wyrm Hunt quests.
- Reporting Brother Jean's demise to Haslett is optional for progression, and the party can retrieve all five slates on the first visit - however it is Haslett himself that requests retrieval of the slates, and does not make the request until completion of the first stage.
|The End at the Beginning · Harbinger of Destruction · Newly Arisen · Upon a Pawn|
Call of the Arisen · A Rude Awakening · Off With Its Head ·A Matter of Myrmidons
Lure of the Abyss · The Cypher · A Fortress Besieged · Seeking Salvation · The Watergod's Altar
Come to Court · Griffin's Bane · Trial and Tribulations · Pride Before a Fall · The Wyrmking's Ring
Honor and Treachery · Reward and Responsibility · Deny Salvation · The Final Battle
|A Warm Welcome · Fathom Deep · Final Judgement · The Great Hereafter|