- This article is about the location, for the related quest see The Watergod's Altar.
The Watergod's Altar is a cave and temple complex behind the Man Swallowing Falls. It is located to the west of The Mountain Waycastle. The system consists of seeminly natural tunnels, much of which have running water throughout, plus a decayed temple within the mountain, on two levels.
Initially the lower level is flooded, in order to explore the entire area must be drained- as task usually undertaken in conjunction with the eponymous quest The Watergod's Altar. The lower level is accessed by stairs and ladders, as well as a raisable and lowerable drawbridge, operated by the Watergod's Altar Lever - at the approximate center of the lower level is Water's Bottom.
At the far end of the temple area is a large pillared hall, known as the Offering Chamber.
It seems that this temple is much decayed - walls are broken down, and the tis likely the floor of the upper central chamber has collapsed down into the lower area around Water's bottom - there is also signs of rough tunnelling, such as that leading from Water's bottom through a largish cavern up to the Offering chamber through a broken hole in that chamber's walls - it is not known what created these tunnels - either man, beast, or natural forces.
The upper tunnels and initially unflooded parts are infested with numerous Giant Bats, Rats, Snakes and Saurians, as well as Skeleton Mages, Skeletons and Skeleton Knights and a pair of Sulfur Saurians - the far Offering Chamber is home to a large Cyclops.
The flooded area, centered on Water's Bottom contains after draining further Skeleton Knights and Skeleton Mages, and additionally Phantasms. A natural side cave in the lower levels contains a small Cyclops. Prior to draining the lower levels, the water is deep enough to be home to the Brine.
Other chests may contain :
- In the main chamber
- Iris Ring or Ring of Azure - in a high status chest near the middle of the upper area, on an isolated structure (above Water's Bottom)
- A lesser chest just to the northeast may give an Iron Helm, Golden Egg, Bronze Cuirass, or Dragon’s Spit.
- In the tunnels leading to the Altar Key chest room
- Eden's Warden, Demon's Periapt or Grievous Horns - in a chest at the bottom of a short ladder.
- In the cave containing the lever chest two more chests containing either Bronze Gauntlets, Thunderclap, Silver Bands, a Ferrystone, or some Gold.
- Around Water's Bottom
- There are several chests around the edges of Water's Bottom (qv) - a Cleansing Earring is guaranteed together with chances to get useful armor.
- From the Cleansing Earring chest, turn east and follow the path. The next chest on the floor contains a Cyclops Strategy Vol. 2 scroll or Serenity Extract.
- Climb the ledge to find another chest next to the ladder, containing a Tiger Bangle or Winter's Path Tome.
- Offering Chamber
- There are four chests in the Offering Chamber (qv) of which three are high status - they oft contain useful armor.
- In the area beyond the magick door leading to the drainage mechanism
- Scale Greaves, Blue Longkilt, Liquid Vim, Martyr's Talisman, or Saurian Tactics Vol. 1 - in the chest in the room directly behind the door opened by the Watergod Altar Key.
- Surcoat or more rarely Obliteratrix - chest in the chamber leading to the drainage mechanism.
- There is also a low quality chest north of the far side of the magick door - it may be accessed by a long jump across the stairs leading down to Water's Bottom.
Additional there are several Ore deposits here which may yield Priceless Artifact, unique to the area. Also found only here are Waterfell Gentian Leaf and Waterfell Gentian Root both from the same plant species.
- The Watergod's Altar, one of the Wyrm Hunt Quests
- The quests to obtain Badge of Vows 17, Badge of Vows 55, and Badge of Vows 56.
- Notice Board Quest: By Royal Decree II (Dark Arisen)
- Following Orders
Pawn Status Travel Knowledge
- When first entering the cavern, travel along the stream as far as possible - to where the stream descends through a crack in the rock down into a cave containing Saurians. Pawns will comment about the view and gain Travel Knowledge. Stay at the end of the stream until the pawns comment on the view.
- Pawns may make a comment about being familiar with the area after crossing the drawbridge for the first time.
- Pawns may comment that they've learned of this area in the room with the lever for the lift.
- The third star can come when the Arisen steps on the pressure plate, to drain this partially flooded dungeon. If running leaps are used in order to bypass the locked door, it's entirely possible for less than half the map to be revealed when Pawns earn their last location star for the Watergod's Altar.
- While the temple is still flooded, pawns may comment if you go down the stairs on the right before the bridge (to the water's edge with the ladder), which triggers area knowledge. If you're missing the third star after thoroughly exploring the entire temple repeatedly, this is most likely the one missing piece and will have to be gained in NG+ or with another player.
- "A cave entrance hides behind the falls."
- "Scholars of the Faith gave the Watergod's Altar its name, not long ago."
- "'Twas a place of worship and training, once, for clerics of the old gods."
- "Or so they say. In truth, no one knows for sure who built this place, or why."
- The Watergod's Altar can be drained without opening the magic door that requires the Watergod Altar Key - from the wooden drawbridge lowered with use of the Watergod's Altar Lever the first chamber on the right is accessible by a running jump across the water filled gap. Another jump leads to the other side of the door, and thence to the pressure plate that drains the chanber.
- The drawbridge controlled by the Watergod's Altar lever moves down to water's bottom and back again when the lever is used once the region has been drained.