Located inside of the Duke's Demesne. It is to the south of the Audience Chamber, a side room off a short corridor that leads outside to the castle gardens. The Treasury contains some of Edmun Dragonsbane's treasure and wealth.
Ser Elthar guards the Treasury, both day and night.
- Reward and Responsibility - the Duke invites the Arisen into the treasure in preparation of a special task - however the event is interrupted by Ser Ivo, starting the Deny Salvation questline.
The magickal chest
The treasury contains a magic chest which can only be unlocked with the use of the authentic Wyrmking's Ring.
The chest contains a single Paladin's Mantle - if the genuine ring was returned to the Duke during the quest The Wyrmking's Ring he may open the chest during the quest Reward and Responsibility - a forged ring will fail to work.
The chest can be burgled before or after Reward and Responsibility, and the Mantle taken - if the mantle was stolen before the quest Duke Edmun will not attempt to open it - however the chest will have been closed on visiting with the Duke, and can be opened without the ring. Its contents are likely to be a Coin Purse of Charity. Under other circumstances the chest remains opened and empty once the mantle has been taken.
After the showing of the Dragon at the Greatwall during the quest Deny Salvation the treasury appears to have been emptied, and the magical chest removed, possibly to a safer hidden place.
- Before or during Reward and Responsibility the treasury contains 53,500 Gold in bags, plus a Badge of Merit and Golden Bastard in two chests.
- If the treasury was burgled before Reward and Responsibility the gold will be restocked, when visiting with the Duke.
- Loot that may be gathered includes a Balmy Incense, Foreign Medicament, Grand Surcoat, and/or Goddess Cameo.
- A Foreign Knife is found on a table.
There is an advantage to breaking into the treasury, as it allows the Arisen to acquire the Paladin's Mantle without handing over the real Wyrmking's Ring.† The real Wyrmking's ring is required to open the chest containing the Paladin's mantle.
- Rest at the Gran Soren Inn until nightfall, and then proceed immediately to the Castle grounds.
- Hide near the Southern Door inside of the Demesne.
- Wait for Ser Elthar to leave his post and exit the door leading outside. (Be watchful for patrolling guards that may sneak up on you.)
- Quickly run into the Treasury and loot everything!
- Make good on the escape (a Ferrystone can help).
Breaking in is made much easier if a Set of Royal Guard Armor is worn - this allows the Arisen to wander freely at night around the Desmense - simply wait for Elthar to leave and then enter.
Ser Elthar is tough to eliminate - for a brute force raid - he (and other guards) can be neutralised by the use of Petrification.
Glitch Note that breaking and stealing in will generally trigger an alarm, causing the guards to attempt and arrest, whether or not they were alerted previously.
- † (PC) - it seems that breaking and entering to steal the Paladin's Mantle may not be successful unless the mantle is worn before leaving - items stolen from the treasury that are not equipped may be removed from the inventory on leaving. This includes any gold as well as the badge of merit.(verify)
- There are a total of three guards in the lower floor of the Demesne. One guarding the Treasury and two that are patrolling around the Castle. Keep a watchful eye on their patrol paths on which direction they are heading.
- For maximum role confliction, one can break into the Treasury at the earliest opportunity, steal the Mantle (using the Wyrmking's Ring) and the other treasure, return the genuine ring to the Duke, receive the gold in the strong room again, plus a coin purse of charity from the previously burgled chest.
- Burgling the Treasury must be done swiftly as one of the castle guards can teleport through the castle and arrest you shortly after you enter the Treasury. What's more, you won't know if the glitch will occur until he arrests you, as it does not always happen. To avoid this problem entirely, simply run into the room, grab a few items, and then Ferrystone out of the room quickly. Note once a crime has been committed guards will arrest you even if you are wearing the Set of Royal Guard Armor as a disguise.
- All of the chest inside Treasury did not respawn until New Game Plus.