The Ur-Dragon encounter in Dragon's Dogma takes two forms, a static offline battle, and an asynchronous online encounter, where players and their parties from around the world compete online to take down the Ur-Dragon. The effect and damage done by each of these parties is combined until the creature is defeated. Defeating the Ur-Dragon online requires multiple encounters, but all players who inflict damage on the Ur-Dragon are eligible to receive rewards. The Arisen which inflicts the final blow will receive the greatest reward of all, and all slayers of the Ur-Dragon have their names and play times recorded in the hall of fame. Offline players will still be able to take on the Ur-Dragon alone, but receive different rewards. The Ur-Dragon is essentially an optional end-game boss, located Beyond the Rift.
Essentially, his appearance is the same of Grigori, but with a grayish palette. However, unlike Grigori, he has a number of "hearts" located all over his body, which will glow as the Arisen or his Pawns approach the area. Each time a heart is destroyed, the area around it will start to rot and fall, revealing the Ur-Dragon flesh underneath, his true form. Destroying hearts is the most effective way to inflict damage to the Ur-Dragon, and doing so will also drop plenty of valuable materials.
If you participated in killing the Ur-Dragon, the next time you enter the area online (or immediately if you killed him yourself) you'll get a cut scene pointing to the loot; if you leave the area without collecting the loot, it vanishes.
In either online and offline modes, the Ur-Dragon must be defeated within 10 minutes. He will fly away if he remains undefeated. If he is not defeated within the alloted time you can return to the inn and rest. Once you return the Ur-Dragon will enter the arena once more with the health bar as you left it. This way it is always possible to kill the Ur-Dragon.
Information and Stats
Base Exp of 150,000
|Health||Attack||Defence||Magick Attack||Magick Defence||Weight|
(*)This value is only applicable for the OFFLINE Ur-Dragon. The online one has even more health, which increases with each generation.
Immune to all debilitations as well as spells that do not inflict direct damage, such as Exequy.
|Backdash and Fireball||Mag||A quick leap backwards followed by a fireball launched at its previous location.|
|Fire Breath||Mag||A stream of fire is let loose from its mouth. Can be shot straight forward while walking, or in a stationary sweeping motion in front of it.|
|Firey Drive By||Mag||Flies into the sky and then dives past a target, breathing fire at the ground near them as it passes. Does multiple passes before landing again.|
|Flame Eruption||Mag||Gets on 2 legs and begins charging energy and then unleashes a single large fireball in front of it that splits into many smaller fireballs that drop in an area around the initial impact site. Possibly it's most powerful attack.|
|High Bolide||Mag||10 meteors are summoned to indiscriminately barrage the battlefield for a short period.|
|High Frigor||Mag/Status||Three spires of ice are created that can throw those it hits into the air and freeze them.|
|High Levin||Mag||A series of fast lightning bolts are created with the ability to stun those who are hit.|
|High Petrification||Mag/Status||Invokes a magick fog that turns those who enter it into stone.|
|Holy Furor||Mag||The Ur-Dragon remains motionless for a short period, and then unleashes a sigil that causes rapid beams of light seek out and damage any present in a large area of effect.|
|Long Range Fireball||Mag||When perched upon the faraway tower, the Ur-Dragon will shoot long-range fireballs at you and your pawns.|
|Body Slam||Phys||Flies straight up into the air and then quickly drops, slamming into the ground on all four legs and crushing anyone beneath.|
|Dive||Phys||A powerful lunge from the Air.|
|Fly Back||Phys||Will fly backwards for space but will deal massive damage if caught under it.|
|Grab (Arisen)||Phys||The Arisen is grabbed, and then smashed him into the ground|
|Grab (Pawn)||Spec||A Pawn is grabbed, but instead of being smashed into the ground, the Ur-Dragon instead possesses it and directs it to attack you.|
|Maul||Phys||When climbing around near his mouth, there is a chance for him to suddenly eat you, dealing high damage over time until you wiggle the L-stick to free yourself.|
|Stomp Attack||Phys||A powerful attack with its two front feet.|
|Sweeping Backhand||Phys||A sweeping blow with either one of the front arms that knocks targets away from it.|
|Tail Sweep||Phys||The dragon spins itself around breathing fire and using it's tail to attack targets in a wide radius around it and near its feet. Also used to dislodge an enemy on its tail.|
|Tail Whip||Phys||A powerful sweeping attack with its tail, only attacks behind it. Also used to dislodge an enemy on its tail.|
|Roar||Spec/Status||A roar that knocks you back and causes the Skill Stifling debilitation, preventing any use of skills for a short period, and immediately kills all Pawns within range.|
|Wind Buffet||Spec||Flaps its wings hard at the party, knocking back everyone with high force winds but dealing no damage. Uses it to give itself more room for other attacks.|
Item Drops and Rewards
Drops from Destroyed Hearts
Foreleg and Hindleg Palms
|Chest and Stomach||Tail||Other|
|Putrid Dragon Scale||-||10%||10%||30%||30%||40%|
|Great Dragon Horn||30%||-||-||-||-||-|
|Great Dragon Claw||-||-||40%||-||-||-|
|Great Dragon Fang||30%||-||-||-||-||-|
|Great Dragon Alula||-||50%||-||-||-||-|
|Sour Ambrosial Meat||5%||5%||5%||5%||5%||5%|
|Rotten Ambrosial Meat||-||5%||5%||5%||10%||8%|
Rewards (Upon Defeat)
Online Rewards (Contributing to Defeat)
(These have a small chance of being rewarded as part of a significant contribution to its death. If the killing blow is struck, it is a 100% chance) Note: you will not get all of these weapons upon death only some are rewarded.
Online Rewards (Dealing Final Blow)
(Rewarded only to those who struck a killing blow. Slayers of the Ur-Dragon receive one of the four masks).
|Note: All items currently equipped by the Arisen will be Dragonforged upon death of the Ur-Dragon, regardless of enchantment level. (100% Chance)|
Earned by defeating the Ur-Dragon either offline or online. Dealing the final blow unlocks The Messiah achievement/trophy.
The Ur-Dragon has two distinct entrances in which he can be reached:
- In NG+ and Post-Game you can enter via a special rift stone on the beach of Starfall Bay in Cassardis.
Speculation & Rumors
- The health bar of the online Ur-Dragon isn't fully accurate
- e.g. if you deplete 1/8 of his total health online it might not represent 1/8 of his total health according to the server which tracks his status.
- A theory has been proposed that his total health is divided among the number of players fighting him at one time. e.g. If he has 100 health and 10 players are fighting him then 10 health will be displayed on each player's game. Whereas if only five players are fighting him 20 health will be displayed on each game.
- A separate theory has been proposed that when you destroy a heart the damage is somewhat divided among his other hearts. This would give the illusion that he is being healed when in reality all damage is being accounted just not all on one heart.
- It is hypothesized that the "recovery" of Ur's health is due to some players losing their online connection midfight hence the damage done by said players are recalculated to the values pre-fight.
- Maker's Finger's can do more damage depending on the status of the heart you are targeting for example: if the heart looks really exposed and you hit it with a Makers Finger, the Dragon's health bar (this only counts for one bar) may only go down about 20% (estimate) however if you see only a purple glowing area then estimately from experience it would lower about 78% of one bar using a maker's finger.
- With each new generation the Ur-Dragon grows stronger.
- Ur-Dragon has an ability to petrify enemies. It is shown as a black spell being cast from the dragons left hand. On rare occasions, if you are breathed with It's fire, there is a chance that you'll be petrified though it is used rather rarely, it can be devastating so keep curatives such as Panaceas, Cockatrice Liquors, or Secret Softeners on hand.
- There are also two purple spots underneath his neck and one underneath his mouth.
- Each encounter with the Ur-Dragon will last around 10 minutes. This applies to both online and offline encounters.
- Focus your attacks on the brightly coloured hearts spread throughout its body. They will be slightly hidden purple spots at first, red when exposed, and upon being destroyed will glow white temporarily and then vanish, depositing some item drops on the ground. Many of these spots will require climbing on to the Ur-Dragon to reach them, so be prepared to do this.
- Sticking to the west side of the arena prevents the Ur-Dragon from roosting above the loot chamber; climbing the ledges on the opposite (east) side of the arena almost always guarantees roosting.
- Make sure to check the colour of the blood that comes out when you attack. If it is purple, you are doing damage, if it white/greyish then you are NOT doing any damage.Maneuver yourself to a different spot if you are not drawing purple blood.
- If you have a Shield and can't run from Holy Furor, you can actually block all its attacks provided you have enough stamina.
- The Left Arm can stagger easily. If you see the Ur-Dragon incanting a spell, blows to the left arm are an easy way to stop his casting.
- After the online Ur-Dragon is killed, it will be set to a dead status. He will have no health and attacking his weak points once or twice should be enough to destroy them. Once all his remaining weak points are broken, you have technically delivered a killing blow. This "grace period" is short, and when it is over, a new generation is spawned.
Specific Class Strategies
Check the separated section: Ur-Dragon Class Strategies.
Health Status Tracking (Online)
There are a several communities in which provide helpful health tracking of the UR-Dragon. Posts and tweets are consistently posted throughout on the current health. Grace periods of the Ur-Dragon are sometimes posted as well.
Facebook Fan Page: Dragon's Dogma Xbox 360 Ur-Dragon Health Update, Tactics and Trade
- Killing the Ur- Dragon alone with the Bezel Crown weapon yields over 1,000,000 experience points. However this is extremely hard to do normally since the weapon does very little damage, thus an effective strategy to adopt is to use a more powerful bow until the Ur-Dragon's health is low, then switching to Bezel Crown to destroy the last heart or two. Best to at least have it dragonforged. Use liquid vims so the increased loss of stamina will not affect you.
- If you have the money, use the Bezel Crown along with a Maker's Finger for the last heart; be sure that it is the last heart however, since the Maker's Finger only destroys one heart, and you can only have one at a time.
- The Ur-Dragon has multiple pieces of dialogue it can speak when arriving in the Chamber of Lament.
- As the Ur-Dragon takes damage to each location on its body, those locations begin to look tattered and eventually rotted out. Additionally, the Ur-Dragon can be disemboweled, dropping pieces of Ambrosial Meat and dragon pieces onto the ground.
- A belief at first was that dying or leaving during the Ur-Dragon fight would heal it, hence explaining why many players would came back to fight the Ur-Dragon of the same generation and find it with "more health" than before. A comment by Capcom denied this. The accepted theory now is that the Ur-Dragon's "recovery" is simply an illusion of sorts created by the process by which the Ur-Dragon's total health is divided between players - the more people there are fighting the Ur-Dragon, the less health it seems to have; if less people then go to fight it, it will seem to have regained health, even though it actually has the same or less than before.
- There are some reports of the Wakestones not appearing next to the Rankings tablet if the loot cutscene that is shown after the Ur-Dragon's defeat is skipped. This cause of this is unknown, and isn't guaranteed, but it is advised to let the cutscene play in its entirety before continuing. However, if you save in the Chamber of Lament, and reload the wakestones usually reappear.
- When soloing the UR dragon an occasional "glitch" may occur where UR Dragon's Holy Furor will appear in the air while you are climbing on its back still hitting you. It seems to only happen when you are on the dragon's back where the spell normally wouldn't reach you and your pawns arent there because otherwise he targets them instead.
- If you hit him out of the air when he is about to breath fire and he collapses as if you have destroyed a heart, it is possible for him to cast Holy Furor immediately upon getting up.
- "Arisen... I know you well..."
- "You would rise against me once more?"
- "Then you have come...Very well, Arisen."
- "Accept your fate."
- "Cede your life to me..."
- "Madness calls, my puppet." (When trying to possess a Pawn)
- "You...Truly, you are worthy...." (Death)
- "Even I cannot stay you..." (Death)
- The use of the Maker's Finger only works for destroying one heart individually.
- Every item scattered when one heart is destroyed will disappear when neglected.