Direwolfs are a fiercer white subspecies found in colder northerly parts.
|Health||Attack||Defense||Magick Attack||Magick Defense||Weight|
Attacks and tactics
Wolves attack in various ways, the main attack is a leaping lunge, and the other is a fierce bite. If a human is downed and bitten other members of the pack will join to worry their prey.
When an interloper is spotted in wolf territory wolfs will howl to alert their pack members. Wolf hunting behaviour includes much dashing, circling and harassing - for slower moving humans this can be a real problem - there are several ways to catch a wolf off guard - these include blocking an attack (with a shield), torporing, or dowsing with a liquid, which causes them to pause to shake the liquid off. Wolves do not like fire, will burn, and will roll on the floor once set alight.
- Wolfs are slight weak to fire, and have a slight resistance to cold, but show no great resistance to any magic.
- Setting them on fire will cause them to roll on the ground, giving you time to reignite them, grab them, or finish them off.
- A wolf inflicted with Torpor is much easier to run down and attack.
- Fast strikes that cover distance are effective against wolfs - these include the swordsmans Burst Strike, and the daggerists Cutting Wind.
- Using the Shield or Magick Shield to block or Perfect Block them as they lunge is extremely effective, especially if the player has either Deflect or Reflect in their Core Skills .
- A wide a variety of skills and tactics can be used to cope with the wolf's fast and erratic movement :
- Drenching with water is ineffective in the long term as they shake the water off - wolves react in the same way to tarring. However both actions interrupt the wolf's actions whilst wet.
- Wolves can be carried, grappled and thrown.
- Wolf eyes glow in the dark - bow and longbow users can exploit this at night by turning off their lanterns - aim at the red dots for an efficient head-shot kill.
- Weak to Fire.
- Wolf Strategy Vol. 1 - Perfect block their lunge (long range jump attack) with a shield or magick shield.
- Wolf Strategy Vol. 2 - Dousing the wolf with water will cause it to shake the water off and dry itself.
- During night, one Wolf will spawn in the little stream just inside Witchwood. Witnessing this wet Wolf is sufficient to trigger this knowledge.
- Wolf Strategy Vol. 3 - Inflicting Torpor (slow) will make them easier to hit and grants knowledge.
- Silence a Wolf.
In addition to witnessing these techniques, it is necessary for Pawns to participate in killing 500 Wolves either with their own Arisen or while travelling with others.
More information can be found on the Pawn Bestiary Knowledge page.