"What will you be? Man? Dragon? Or aught else?"
Wyrms are powerful magickal casters, possessing an array of deadly magickal attacks, the means of flight, and the ability to breathe Ice to freeze their foes solid. All lesser dragonkin can seize control over the will of Pawns to turn them against the Arisen. The Wyrm's glowing red stomach indicates where its heart resides, which serves as an exploitable weakness.
- "The wyrm is a subject of deepest interest... It is possessed of strength and intellect in equal share, and a crystalline instinct to rival all other beasts, no doubt. A perfect mage, truly. The power it must hold is beyond reckoning." - Steffen
The Wyrm is one of three species of Dragonkin, along with the Drake and Wyvern. Wyrms share many characteristics in common with their cousin species, however the Wyrm rarely flies but is a powerful spellcaster, able to repeatedly and rapidly incant strong spells such as Bolide. Whilst the Drake has an affinity to fire and the Wyvern to lightning, the Wyrm is strong in the ice element. This makes them vulnerable to fire based spells and weapons.
Defeating a Wyrm has a chance of dragon forging the Arisen's equipment as long as that equipment has at least one level of enhancement.
Information and Stats
| Base Experience of 24,000
Can be more or less depending on a few factors such as:
Wyrm Horns Destroyed
Wyrm Wing Destroyed
Killing the Wyrm gives a chance of dragon forging equipment depending upon enhancement level of the equipped gear.
|Sources: Dragon's Dogma - ドラゴンズドグマ ＆ Dark Arisen (www10.atwiki.jp), the 'Dragon's Dogma Signature Series Guide' and in-game testing.|
|Ice Breath||Mag||A massive stream of icy breath is let loose from its mouth. Causes substantial damage and can Curse and Freeze. The Wyrm can use this attack while moving forward or backing away from its target(s).|
|Charge||Phys||Charges at a target on the ground to trample it.|
|Grab (Arisen)||Phys||The Arisen is grabbed and then smashed into the ground.|
|Grab (Pawn)||Spec/Status||A Pawn is grabbed, but instead of being smashed into the ground, the Wyrm tries to seize control over the Pawn. Causes Possession, which turns the Pawn against the Arisen.|
|Slam||Phys||Will take flight then drop suddenly to slam its torso into the ground, inflicting massive damage to anyone underneath. (rare)|
|Aerial Spin||Phys||If the Arisen or one of his/her Pawns are holding onto the Drake while it is in flight, it will spin rapidly, draining a massive chunk of stamina. (rare)|
|Stomp Attack||Phys||A powerful attack with its feet.|
|Sweeping Backhand||Phys||A backhanded slap with either of its front claws.|
|Tail Sweep||Phys||A powerful spinning attack with its tail, knocks down any struck by it.|
|Wing Flap Attack||Phys||Powerful wing flaps that create strong winds preventing the party from approaching. Can be counteracted by equipping the Stability augment or armor with the bonus enhancement "Prevents wind from affecting mobility." While this negates the buffeting effect of the wind, the dragon's wing flaps will then be able to deliver physical blows.|
|Roar||Spec/Status||A roar that kills all pawns within range, staggers the Arisen and can cause Skill Stifling.|
|High Frigor||Mag||Creates three spires of ice which can throw its targets into the air and may freeze them.|
|High Levin||Mag/Status||A series of lightning bolts smite its foes|
|High Bolide||Mag||10 meteors are summoned to indiscriminately lay waste to the battlefield.|
(This will be indicated vocally by the Wyrm)
|Lassitude||Mag/Status||An area of effect sigil is created, inflicting Torpor on those who remain within it.|
|Exequy||Mag||A field of death is cast, killing anyone who stands within its area of effect upon the spell's completion.|
|Heal||Mag/Spec||The Wyrm is still for a moment, then casts a healing spell on itself with a brief greenish anodyne like aura - this restores 1.75 bars of its health.|
- The Wyrm's heart is located in its stomach area, directly under the middle of the beast.
- All vocations : attack the heart.
- The heart is a weak point - so skills such as Great Gamble are effective.
- The heart must be struck by the Arisen for the finishing blow.
- Weak against Fire enchanted weapons and spells - with damage increased several times over. Occassionaly it can be set on fire.
- Vulnerable to Silence. A silenced Wyrm has the majority of its attacks nullified.
- Vulnerable to Torpor.
- Striking the heart or head hard enough can interrupt/stagger the Wyrm and disrupt its spellcasting.
- The Wyrm is stationary while casting spells, enabling the party to easily hit its weak spots.
- The Wyrm is more resilient to magick attacks compared to other Dragonkin.
- A stationary casting Wyrm is vulnerable to and will likely be staggered by a Mystic Knight's Ruinous Sigil.
- A spellcaster's High Comestion is effective against the low-lying, fire vulnerable heart.
- Using Magick Defense boosters is recommended if your Arisen or pawns have low Magick Defense.
- Either silence the Wyrm, or concentrate on interrupting its magick spells - attacks (and weapons) with high stagger are best.
- The Stability augment is very helpful against all dragonkin. It renders the Arisen impervious to wind attacks, and the Arisen can cast spells and charge skills without being interrupted. The benefits of this augment are also given by equipping armor with the bonus enhancement "Prevents wind from affecting mobility."
- Wind attacks from dragonkin wings can be blocked or Perfect Blocked with a shield or magick shield.
- One Sobering Wine clears all status effects from the party and provides an additional 90 seconds of debilitation immunity.
- A bow using pawn with the Scather inclination and high or full Bestiary knowledge of this enemy is more likely to climb the Dragon and shred the Wyrm's heart.
- A pawn without full bestiary knowledge of this enemy will tend to target one of four critical targets on the Wyrm (the two horns, the wings, and the heart). To ensure that a Great Gamble equipped pawn targets the heart, the Arisen should focus on destroying the two horns and wings early in the battle.
- Mage pawns equipped with a Legion's Might staff will auto-revive after a Dragon Roar or conventional deaths.
- Prepare in advance for possession resistance, either with equipment or potions.
Pawn Bestiary Knowledge
In addition to witnessing these techniques, it is necessary for Pawns to participate in killing 15 Wyrms either with their own Arisen or while travelling with others.
Kills on Frostwyrms will count towards the overall kill count for Wyrms since they are both from the same species, but the Frostwyrm is a much stronger version than the Wyrm or the Special Wyrm.
- "Such Magick...!"
- "It wields magick of the highest order"
- Serpents' Bane - "Defeated a drake, wyrm, and wyvern."
- The horns can still be broken off when the Wyrm is dead, but there is a short time window to do so.
- The Wyrm's Tear increases the drop rate percentage of rare loot. It also increases the drop rate of Wakestones and Wakestone Shards in The Everfall. When in the party's inventory together with the Drake's Tear and Wyvern's Tear, the drop rate percentages increase further.
- The Wyrm possesses smaller wings than either the Drake or the Wyvern.
- "A strange trick of fate...to meet a fellow countryman. So be it, mayhap there is a new truth to be found in dragon's form... 'Tis the will of the world... Stand against me!" (Introduction)
- "Fall into Disorder." (Possession attack)
- "Gather, raging flame!" (Upon casting High Bolide)
- "The world calls out for a new ringmaster... ...Earth and man and monster all. All are equal parts within the whole."
- "Which shall you be...? Man? Dragon? Or aught else?" (Death)
- "Am I to die?" (Death)
- "The seat of God lies beyond..." (Death)
- "That's it, show me your power!"
- "I am your master" (Possession attack)
- "Come Arisen!"
- The Wyrm shares some common dialogue with the Drake and Wyvern.